Plans are a joke - I have never experienced such a worthless product in my life

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mofritas
New Poster

Plans are a joke - I have never experienced such a worthless product in my life

After the first month of service which seemed great because of the unlimited faster data (which I was completely unaware was happening), our family went through out 20 GB's in two days.  I called Hughesnet and no one could tell me how we went through the data so fast and after an hour and 40 minutes on the phone I asked to speak to a supervisor.  I was promised a call back from a supervisor and never received one.  Now we started a new month and once again we are out of data in two days...and we did virtually nothing involving using data.  This is the most ridiculous and deceiving offer I have ever seen, and the service is even worse!  WE will be calling and cancelling.  If you are considering this service - never do it.

25 REPLIES 25
guthormsen2
New Poster

This happened to me too but we have been on it for years. 50gb gone in a few days.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@guthormsen2 wrote:

This happened to me too but we have been on it for years. 50gb gone in a few days.

If so then you have a serious problem. My wife and I stream YouTube and Netflix regularlary throughout the month, not HD but 360p and lower, and we have data left at the end of our last day before reset each month on 50/50 plan. Actually I normally do a bunch of updates the last day to use up the data, which even then seldom happens. Usually still have something left, not in FAP or using Token data.

Maybe you have children and/or lots of devices eating data?

Spent time on phone this weekend with them we have had it for 10 years and never had a problem because we manage it carefully. Hughesnet said there is nothing showing with our account but I think there is something wrong as well. No kids, password protected system. I am unplugging the LAN at night and disconnect all devices from the wi-fi and will be monitoring it.

I was very upset since it is expensive to keep refilling.

One thing I noticed, if you have Hughesnet, you may or may not have DISH or DirecTV? - the new DVR's have ethernet or wifi, I found out eary on the rewind funtion on a show you have just switched to allows you to STREAM to the beginning, this feature streams the show from the internet, not from your TV provider's sattleite. 

I have a 94 year old MIL living with us also and she sometime streams show's on demand and uses that feature without even knowing, thus killing our prime time data usage. 

Carmen Vitullo

Dude, for those of us in the 21st century, we expect 1080i for our hard-earned bucks. No wonder you have leftover Gigs at months-end. Do you have an analog TV with a digital converter? Only way you could use so little of your monthly allotment. But...if you're happy, that's all that matters.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Mofritas

@guthormsen2

If you each create a new post in the Tech Support section regarding your data issue, we may be able to figure out what it is that is eating through all of your data.  

With that said, two data eaters are things updating or using the cloud and a connected satellite TV receiver (especially a DirecTV receiver).  With the updates and cloud you can adjust each device's settings, and with the satellite TV receiver it's best to sever its connection, as there's no way to control its data usage.  Even when a satellite TV receiver is off it's not really off, but in standby, and still connected and using data for various things.      

For chrissakes, Ithe only reason I'm stuck with HN is BECAUSE it's bundled (no other options) with DirectTV! And you say to disconnect??!! What am I supposed to use, two tin cans and a length of string?
GabeU

@TallCRwrote:
For chrissakes, Ithe only reason I'm stuck with HN is BECAUSE it's bundled (no other options) with DirectTV! And you say to disconnect??!! What am I supposed to use, two tin cans and a length of string?

Connecting HughesNet to your DirecTV receiver is neither required, nor recommended, and the two services work just fine on their own.

Additionally, please follow the Community Guidelines and refrain from foul language.  

Edit:  In addtion, when replying in the future please either quote the post you're replying to or note the person you're replying to, like so... @TallCR.  This will help to establish who and what your replies are referring to rather than having them resemble multiple, random, out of place thoughts. 

Can someone explain to me how to "DISCONNECT" my Directtv DVR from my network?  I have searched endlessly through the on screen menus and short of shutting down my modem temporarily so that it loses the signal and it would probably reconnect automatically, I have no idea how to get this done.

Thanks in advance.

maratsade

You should repost this under Tech Support.

there are 2 ways, and depending on what wireless solution you have you can block the i/p address via the admin process of the router or what'i've done in the past is to change the i/p address on the DirectTV DVR to some phony address of the wifi router 

Carmen Vitullo

Thanks for the suggestions!  I went the enter phony newtwork name.  I can now see it wants me to Reconnect my DVR to the internet from the settings menu.

GabeU

@jroeder2018 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions!  I went the enter phony newtwork name.  I can now see it wants me to Reconnect my DVR to the internet from the settings menu. 

I certainly hope your DVR doesn't drive you as nuts as mine did me.  Just for the heck of it, one night I connected my Genie to HughesNet just to see what it was like with the On Demand.  After I checked out a few titles, only watching the first few minutes of each, I decided to sever the connection (I think I reset the network).  Well, it was no longer connected, but it constantly, and I mean constantly, reminded me to reconnect.  And, to make matters worse, it would now give search results that included on demand titles and such.  It was crazy.  I couldn't search for anything coming up for an actor or actress without the results being filled with more on demand titles than "regular" titles.  

It was driving me so crazy that I decided to perform a factory reset, knowing full well that it would wipe my DVR, which included a movie I had just recorded a few days before and which I had been waiting for years to be able to record.  It hasn't played on TV since, and it's a movie I can't get on DVD or Blu-Ray, either.  😞  Still, it was worth it to stop the constant reconnect reminders and the way it changed the search.  

I really do hope it's different now and doesn't do the same for you.  Until I have unlimited service I won't connect it again, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.  I could always move.  😛   

GabeU

@jroeder2018

One way you can do it is to reset the network on the DirecTV receiver.  

On the receiver:  Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Internet Setup > Advanced Setup > Reset Network

This should reset its WiFi connection settings.  

Amanda

Hello Mofritas,

We're terribly sorry to hear you haven't had such a great experience using our service and would like to help in figuring out what could be using up your data.

From our tools, I can see that there is an iPhone 7 (MAC address ending in :3d) connected to 2.4Ghz but has a 'Poor' quality signal, which generally means the device is either very far away from the wi-fi modem or the modem is not in an area that provides the best signal coverage. The same goes for another iPhone (MAC address ending in :b1) which also has a 'Poor' signal, and an Xbox One with a 'Fair' signal, both connected using 5Ghz. 

There also appears to be 4 DISH devices connected, two of them I can identify by name - Hopper 2 and SuperJoey. I would assume that the other two are also Joeys. We recommend disconnecting these from your home network as mentioned above, they really do use up data quickly. 

All of the Anytime Bytes (daytime data) has been used, with only a partial amount used from Bonus Bytes (overnight data) so there is something actively being used during the day to consume the data. In addition to isolating the Hopper and Joey units, you can use the Usage feature on the iPhones and select only Wi-Fi to see how much data is being used on each device. The Xbox One also logs this data and that can be found in the network settings. 

Thank you,

Amanda

The plans ARE a joke, I agree with the OP.  To keep from running out of the 50 primetime data can I can barely use the system I am paying for.  The only thing this service is good for is browsing and checking email, anything else you can count on chewing up your data very quickly.    Ya'll tote this as *unlimited* but droping somebodies speed down to 1 MB/Sec makes it worthless.  *Data Saving technology* is BS and this company lures people in like sheep and your phone reps are deceptive.  They have their plants on the forums too make the people unhappy with the service appear to be just unhappy for no reason but there are very good reasons to be unhappy with this system and its customer service.  If you live in a rual area and you want internet they got you by the balls and squeeze tight.  One month alone I had to pay them little over 300.00 just to keep my internet going because of the expense of keeping my speeds where they need to be to do what I do and I dont stream netflix and rarely ever watch any video.  Luckily for me though in my area the next 2 months we will soon have a fiber optic network company with TRUE unlimited internet which will cost me half as much as I am paying now to keep my internet going.  For me hughsnet days are numbered and I cant wait for the day they come get this crap off my house.  Unless there is absoultly no choice for the area you live in I would not reccomend this company to anybody, their advertisments are misleading and they fleece you for every dime they can get from you and word their stuff in such a way they it makes it appear they are doing YOU a favor.  blah sorry folks that work for this company if you are reading this but this company has some very shady ethics when it comes to the advertisment of the service and the service plans themsleves.   Unfortunatly for me another 2 to 3 months I have to keep paying for this service to stay connected.  heh 

GabeU

@Boceifus

How a customer utilizes the high speed data allotment within the plan they choose is their choice, not HughesNet's.  

HughesNet isn't made for cord cutting and has never claimed to be.  If one chooses to burn through their data quickly, then purchase tokens so they can continue doing whatever activity they are doing that's burning through their data, that's their choice and not HughesNet's responsibility.  If someone has a gas budget for the month and they then proceed to go out and drive around for hours on end, burning through that budget in less than a week, how is it Chevy's fault?  It's not.  Nor is it HughesNet's responsibility for how someone utilizes their high speed data, nor if they use it too quickly.

If you're burning through $300 worth of plan data and tokens, and you don't stream, you have something that is seriously burning through data.  Rather than blaming HughesNet, who isn't responsible for it, you could ask for help in figuring out what's using it.   And rather than continuing to buy tokens, again, you could ask for help in figuring out what's using that data.  Then again, if you already know what's utilizing it, then you know what you need to do.    

lbbruiser01
New Poster

Re: Plans are a joke - I have never experienced such a worthless product in my life
TallCR
Learner

You're not alone, believe me. I just had to raise my data cap to $99.00 (plus a $20.00 monthly discount?!) to keep from getting throttled at the drop of a hat (aka a week at most)! Would crawl on my knees over broken glass to be able RIP off! the Spectrum service
I loathed again. Generally see nothing more than slower-than-DSL speeds no matter time of day, or if I just got a new allotment of Gbps. What a motherf***king ripoff!
TallCR
Learner

Forgot to mention that I seldom get HD on my big TV...forget the UHD in my bedroom. The only reason they can say HN is most popular satellite service in US is because it's probably ONLY satellite service in US. Grrrr!