cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question to users: Did your Sales rep or installer warn you HughesNet cannot service VPN's well?

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Question to users: Did your Sales rep or installer warn you HughesNet cannot service VPN's well?

@KristinM

If you signed up directly through HughesNet and it's been less than 90 days since your sales call you can request a review of that call.  If it's determined that you were misled (regarding the gaming and VPN) you may very well have recourse.  

VPN's don't work very well with HughesNet, and using one can greatly reduce your speed.  

Can I run a VPN over HughesNet?

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: Question to users: Did your Sales rep or installer warn you HughesNet cannot service VPN's well?

@GabeU wrote:

VPN's don't work very well with HughesNet, and using one can greatly reduce your speed.

Yes it can greatly reduce speed.  But not necessarily.  As I indicated I was on VPN with Hughesnet (on Gen4) for years working from home) Impact was minimal.

Can VPN user confirm that their speeds are good when not on VPN?  They may be seeing the same beam performance issues as most of the rest of us rather than VPN slow down. 

Highlighted
Freshman

When the tech on the phone was troubleshooting speed had nothing to do with VPN. It was terrible when I had VPN off and my work computer shut down. Still waiting fo "engineers" to call me back. Since the tech could see how slow everything was.

Highlighted
Freshman

I just signed up.  I went through Dish. They transferred me to a sales representative.  We had a long discussion, some of it technical, and I decided to sign up.  Before she let me say "I do", she read a long list of caveats including VPN service.  I was then asked if I understood all the limitations and was willing to accept them.

I go through a VPN to get to my work.  I haven't had a problem and it has been no slower than the Verizon service I had in the past.  I use web apps and check my email, but I don't try to edit documents, etc.