Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bare65
Advanced Tutor

Thank you!

Just wanted to say thank you to @Liz for all of her help in upgrading my service to Gen 5.

The installers left a little while ago and the upgrade installation and activation was flawless. (JDS Systems rocks!!)

I was previously using an HN9000 modem on the Spaceway 3 satellite so needless to say, this is a HUGE improvement over what we used to have..

I now have the HT2000W modem w/ built in wifi and verified via my system control panel that I'm now indeed bouncing off the new Echostar 19 satellite.

I just manually changed all of the wifi settings (passwords/SSDI's) etc on the router and changed the security type from 'none' to WPA-Personal on each of the four frequencies (not sure if there is anything else I need to do to make this more secure as I am not familiar with routers or wifi stuff and have never used them up until now)

Time to get off here and test out my new 'higher' speeds..but I can already see the difference in speeds just loading the community pages. Last week it took several minutes for the community page to fully load..not to mention the time it took to sign into my account and that page to load. Today, on this new Gen 5, it only took a few seconds. Very excited!

thank you again for everything...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you bare65!

So glad to hear you're enjoying your fast new Gen 5 service!

The 5 GHz network has a shorter range than the 2 GHz network, so that's one thing to consider. Also, older devices/network adapter may not be compatible with 5 GHz networks.

I will reply to your PM right after this. 🙂

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
bare65
Advanced Tutor

Quick update after my first day of being on Gen 5..

I'm happy to say that my speeds have significantly increased since upgrading to Gen 5.

What a difference..

On the old Spaceway 3 / HN9000 that we had, we were averaging around 7-9 Mbps, which in all fairness to Hughesnet, was still 'higher' than the 'advertised' speeds of up to 5Mbps, but certainly not 'fast' by any means.

I'm just loving how fast the content on webpages is now downloading.

Speed test from this morning...

Untitled.png

I'm also a little more relaxed knowing that, if for whatever reason I do manage to exceed my monthly data allowance, my speeds, even after being throttled, will still allow me to access the internet for general web surfing... this is something that would not of been possible to do on the HN9000 / Spaceway 3 set up I previously had.

This new HT2000W modem / wifi is working fine, for the most part...however only the 2.5 GHz is viewable.

The other 3 wifi ports (2.5 GHz Guest, 5 GHz, and 5GHz Guest) are not showing up, even though I verified that they are all enabled and broadcasting.

My desktop had built in 'wifi' and when I turn the 'wifi' on manually via my desktop, only the 2.5 GHz is visible. This is also the same when I turn the 'wifi' on through my Samsung cell phone and search for a wifi signal..

I have since disabled these 3 additional ports and have kepted the 2.5 GHz enabled as I understand (from reading some of the community thoughts on this issue yesterday) that this is a known problem and these additional ports, especially the 5 GHz, are really not needed anyways.

Personally, this is no biggie for me as I very rarely use a 'wifi' signal or router in general, but I would think that if Hughesnet is going to charge their customers more for these new HT2000W modems ($14.99 per month versus $9.99 that I was paying for the HN9000)..they should at least look into this issue and correct it so that people can take full advantage of these additional ports if they should desire to do so.

Overall, I'm happy with my decision to upgrade to Gen 5 🙂

Thank you bare65!

So glad to hear you're enjoying your fast new Gen 5 service!

The 5 GHz network has a shorter range than the 2 GHz network, so that's one thing to consider. Also, older devices/network adapter may not be compatible with 5 GHz networks.

I will reply to your PM right after this. 🙂

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!