Hughesnet Community

Upgrade to Gen5, can you stream Netflix?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karen256
New Poster

Upgrade to Gen5, can you stream Netflix?

I'm considering upgrading to Gen5 but I'm extremely irritated by the fact that to do so I would have to sign another two year contract. I keep hoping that someday soon real high speed internet will be available to me, and if it did I'd hate to be stuck in a contract. I figure I did my time with my initial contract.  I truly hate how slow this internet is, especially after we use our 15 go limit (2-3 days). 

However, if the new service is really more like real high speed internet, i.e. Comcast or time warner, then I might consider the upgrade. What I miss most is binge watching old tv shows on Netflix.  Streaming on Netflix is impossible with my current service even if we haven't gone past our limit.  Would Gen5 let me do this?  Without constant buffering?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

In theory, if you use the lowest definition possible on Netflix, AND you don't do anything else (like browsing facebook and youtube) while watching Netflix AFTER you have exhausted your data, you should be able to stream your old shows still.

Of course, if you do have data allowance remaining, you could probably do more than just netflix at the same time on your connection.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

In theory, if you use the lowest definition possible on Netflix, AND you don't do anything else (like browsing facebook and youtube) while watching Netflix AFTER you have exhausted your data, you should be able to stream your old shows still.

Of course, if you do have data allowance remaining, you could probably do more than just netflix at the same time on your connection.

I have data available and Netflix at lowest res, yet every 10 minutes or so Netflix says there's a problem with my internet connection. Same issue I had with Gen4. The agent said it would stream Netflix fine. Tech who installed also said it was much better... I'm not convinced at all. Same thing, different name.

Hit FAP this morning with Gen 5.

15 days until 20 GB data reset.

Downloading netflix/hulu in 2am-8am window but that was zeroed out also.

Streaming anything is pretty iffy.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@kaj1234

If, when you have data available, you are trying to stream in a definition higher than SD, it's possible that the Video Data Saver is causing the issues you are experiencing, if the main issue is buffering.  It's designed to throttle the service speed to a point, when streaming, that most services will do so in SD or less when the source is set to automatically adjust its definition due to the available service speed.  The VDS does this to save data.  

If you are deliberately trying to stream in anything higher than SD, it would help to either turn the Video Data Saver off or pause it for four hours, both of which you can do through the Usage Meter or by signing in to http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount and clicking on the Settings tab.   

Also, while in FAP, it may still be possible to stream in SD, or even LD, but, of course, that's not guaranteed. 

Hope this helps.  

GabeU

I don't use Netflix, but I can tell you that since my own upgrade to Gen5, Youtube works perfectly at any time of the day and, during my short streaming test with DirecTV, I was able to stream on demand shows without any buffering at all. 

Keep in mind, though, that streaming is still a data intensive activity, and doing so in HD will still eat through your data allowance at around 3GB per hour.  With that said, though, as was mentioned, people who have gone into FAP were still able to stream in LD, and even SD, without any issue, though I wouldn't rely on the latter as always being the case.  

Aedan
Senior

Hello Karen256, 

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Gen5 offers download speeds of 25Mbp and upload speeds of 3Mbp, which is about twice the speed of your current plan. Please note that many customers are seeing speeds that are above 25Mbp. To answer your question, yes, you can definitely stream with Gen5 when you are not in FAP. However, as C0RR0SIVE and GabeU posted above, you may need to decrease the video quality when you run out of anytime data. Thanks.

-Aedan

-Aedan

Thank you for the responses.  

I had a better experience streaming Netflix when I had a T1 network connection than I do with Gen 5.

Yes, I have not run out of bandwidth for the month.

Very frustrating!

Yes, I have my Netflix account set to the lowest bandwidth setting.

Any suggestions will be considered and tested.

GabeU

@seniordude

To get help with your issue, it would be best for you to create a new post in the Tech Support section.   

Also have Gen5 -- I am so ho-hum about Hughes Net.  It is nothing like they advertise!  We live in a rural setting so they are all we can get.  I'm not a fan!

I'm thinking about trying to stream Netflix but all I hear from everyone I know who has tried it is that it buffers all the time and at night it's horrible!  So, I'm holding off.

And now my 2-year commitment is up and up go the prices.

I'm open to suggestions about other services.

We are also in a rural area.  Centurylink DSL is available though but only 1.75 down.

Netflix is one of the most reliable streamers for us.  However we don't stream anything after 8a.  All streaming is done between 2a and 8a.  Not the most convenient but any steaming done as you approach prime time is basically unwatchable.

HappyOrNot
Freshman

I am a new customer and have Gen 5. It has very unstable speeds. Netflix can't be guaranteed. Sometime it is ok but usually not! Streaming video from You Tube is not very likely either.