cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems about data usage

SVA1
Freshman

problems about data usage

The first 2 months we ran out of data, the minimum plan, with a few days left before a new contract month, I bought 2 tokens and that got us through the month.

This month we were out of data less than a week into the contract month. I upgraded to 30 and less than a week later we're at 10% already. 2 adults, simply use of the internet on our 2 phones, we don't upload videos or stream. We'd actually streamed some with a roku the first 2 months too, despite the buffering and it being practically unusable for that, then as of last week we got dish sat tv so we aren't even using the data to try and stream tv.

Nothing changed with our usage, if anything we're using less not using it for roku tv, so how does hughsnet explain how we're suddenly using that much data in days? 
I know the hughsnet fanboys will say it's our fault we must be using that much data but as an adult I know nothing is different between the amount we use our phones and how this month than the first 2 months and I know we're using data less without the roku. I've read other people complain about data usage after the first month or so, so how does hughsnet answer to it? 

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: problems about data usage

@SVA1 wrote:

I've read other people complain about data usage after the first month or so, so how does hughsnet answer to it? 

Your data allotment is continually replenished during your first twenty days of service as a courtesy.  This is explained in the Welcome email sent by HughesNet.

The only way you're going to know for sure what's using all the data is to monitor its usage.  For Windows and Android devices there's Glasswire.  For Apple products there's the built in Activity Monitor as well as various free apps that will monitor it over time.  However, the TV is going to be the problem, as there's no way to monitor its data usage other than a third party router that has that ability.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
SVA1
Freshman

That seems more like an unethical tactic of making people expect that level of service in the first month, only to lower the quality after. Anyhow thst doesn't explain how the data usage changed the third month, not the second.

maratsade

Clearly you're unhappy with the service and unwilling to entertain any other perspective but your own. Please keep in mind this is a tech and account support site, not a service review site. If you do not have a need for tech or account support, and just want to share your experience with the service, kindly go to social media such as Twitter, Instagram, etc.

GabeU

@SVA1 wrote:

That seems more like an unethical tactic of making people expect that level of service in the first month, only to lower the quality after.

It's a courtesy that enables new users to update or upgrade their devices to current without exhausting their data allotment.  If someone doesn't bother to pay attention to their data levels, which would clue them into the refill, and doesn't bother to read the Welcome email, that's their problem, not HughesNet's. 

There's always got to be someone to complain about what's essentially a GIFT.  SMH.

@SVA1 wrote:

Anyhow thst doesn't explain how the data usage changed the third month, not the second.

It's your responsibility to know how and why your devices are using the data they are, not HughesNet's.  They sell you a set amount of high speed data.  How quickly you use it is your responsibility, not theirs.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
MarkJFine
Professor

You said you're not using the Roku, but have you disconnected its' power?

We got one as a gift and quickly noticed that it liked to use a lot of data (like 2GB in just a few hours!) while powered but not actually being used. #LessonLearned

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
SVA1
Freshman

This is posted in a site about accounts and plans so I'm certain asking about the data usage in our plan is legit my posted here. To this point my question about the reason data usage would go a lot faster with less usage minus the tv after the first months hasn't had a reasonable answer. 
As for social media I could complain there but then hughsnet deletes most legit complaint by their customers on those sites.

As it is there might be frustration in my posts but it's not a complaint, data is a legit concern considering we're only 3 months into a contract and I'd actually prefer to get what we pay for.. 

SVA1
Freshman

Obviously the concept of my question is beyond what you can answer as a hughsnet rep here. Saying how I use data is on me doesn't answer my question on how usage changed dramatically after the first months, with less actual use. But you represent hughsnet, it's obvious hughsnet is never at fault and customers never have valid concerns according to you. 

SVA1
Freshman

We hadn't at first after getting sat tv , but we did the other day. I'll see if that makes a difference I appreciate it. 

GabeU

@SVA1 wrote:

Obviously the concept of my question is beyond what you can answer as a hughsnet rep here. Saying how I use data is on me doesn't answer my question on how usage changed dramatically after the first months, with less actual use. But you represent hughsnet, it's obvious hughsnet is never at fault and customers never have valid concerns according to you. 

After 16+ years of using HughesNet, and during that time having to learn how to conserve data in order to make the relatively small monthly amount last, your question is hardly beyond what I or others can help you to figure out, but when you insult those who might be able to help right from the start, I wouldn't expect them to go out of their way in that endeavor.  

This 'hughesnet fanboy' has given about all the advice he's going to.