Hughesnet Community

10 G disappears during power outage after 0.X download speeds..

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anniebouscal
Freshman

10 G disappears during power outage after 0.X download speeds..

Gen 5 was fabulous for a few months, then about august speeds went in the toilet. I am talking download speeds of 0.32, 0.25 and such not. Tech support was unable to diagnose the problem to upped it to "Tier 4 callback within 2 days".  They called back and after some time and fiddling got me back to 29Kbps down speeds. They also gave me pin #106934582 and a a phone number to call, if I had any further problems. After a couple of days I am back to < 1.0 down.  And I cannot find the phone number. So I call Tech Support to get the phone number and no one know what "Tier 4" means, and they cannot provide a phone number.  Then the storm hits us with 6" snow and we are without power (Avista) for a couple of days. After we get the power back the speeds are in the toilet, my allotment is gone, along with the tokens that were provided by Tier 4. I am at zero, zero.  Of course there is no one available at Century Tel to assist until Monday, at which time I will be able to view my phone records for the pas 2 weeks so I can recover the Tier 4 phon number. 

Is this any way to run a business? Yes, if it is a monoply.   

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@anniebouscal

As far as I know, Tier 4 is a specialty department, and either the regular phone reps don't know the number, or they do and they won't give it, for the reason that Tier 4 probably doesn't want people calling that shouldn't be.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to, but I'm sure that the standard phone reps have no way to verify that your pin is legit, especially when they don't have access to Tier 4 services.  

As for your data disappearing, it's not at all unusual for things to call home or utilize the cloud after booting up following a power outage.  It's entirely possible for the system to have burned through the data in short order if this happened, and your tokens are automatically utilized when your data runs out.  Again, though, I'm only giving this as a possibility, and it's one of many.  

Hopefully a rep can help you reestablish contact with Tier 4 service, or maybe help to get them to reestablish contact with you.  The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  

Addtionally, I don't know if something like this should be kept private, but it might be a good idea to edit your PIN# out of your post.  You can do so by clicking the three dots on the upper right and selecting Edit.  If the reps need it from you they can ask you to post it (if it's not sensitive) or private message it to them.  Again, though, because it might be sensitive info, it'd probably be good to edit it out.  

Hi anniebouscal,

Thanks for posting, I'm working on getting this number for you. I'll PM you as soon as I get it.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi anniebouscal,

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you Liz, I will look at it as best I can at dialup speeds. 

Thank you, a couple of points I had not considered.