10gb to stream a movie

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Damselfly72
New Poster

10gb to stream a movie

Really? I was completely out of data, aside from bonus bites. Bought 10gb and ordered a movie from Amazon Prime, (HD). No other devices connected to the network other than the router and the Samsung smart tv. It used ever bit of that 10gb to watch one freaking movie! Why?
I can stream an entire 15 episode season in HD of a tv series on my cellphone provider network, steam 2-3 hours of YouTube videos, stream music every day from Spotify, watch every Facebook video posted in my newsfeed, talk on Facetime for 40 hours a month, run a wifi phone service, surf the web, and pretty much run my mobile business for an entire month without using 10gb.
This has been an ongoing issue since I got Hughesnet service more than 2 years ago. And no it isn't a Hughesnet exclusive issue. This seems to be a satellite ISP issue. I have had 3 different satellite ISPs What gives?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hi Damselfly72,

I believe this is because apparently Amazon is using a higher bitrate and does not seem to allow quality/rate adjustments outside of their own proprietary Fire TV products. Basically this means that Amazon won't automatically adjust itself based on multiple factors (screen size, bandwidth, device capability) like other video providers do, resulting in you having to receive video in the format Amazon has on file. Adjusting this setting using built-in options on devices like Roku's may change what you see, but won't change what you get. Sometimes this will also cause buffering or poor visual quality. Read more here

Regarding your mobile provider... I'm not sure who you have, but many providers are now automatically turning on their own versions of "VDS" to help save mobile data and ease network congestion. This might be enabled on your service plan, so it's worth a check. VDS is enabled for all customers on Gen4 and Gen5 service plans.

I hope I was able to offer some helpful info 🙂 

-Amanda

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17