Every once in a while a huge chunk of bandwidth just vanishes from my account. I have gone through all the "testing" hoops that customer support asks me to multiple times and nothing ever comes from any of it. Our network is secure. We have no viruses. We keep close track of our bandwidth use and average about 50-100 meg an hour tops. We have no neighbors for over a 1/4 mile. yet, last night when nothing else was on but one computer, the router and the modem and the use was light to normal for us, suddenly 2.5 gig vanished. When I say suddenly, I mean as best as Hughenest will let me see at http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/actUsage.cfm because it only shows the total use per hour.
So, what is going on? We can't even get 2.5 gig to download in an hour if we tried! But no matter how much I explain that to customer service they still insist it is not on their end... Any ideas? It would be helpful to find somebody who can actually get into the minute-by-minute usage data log and see if it is an instant thing or looks more like some sort of data drain... it's no fun waking up the next morning and seeing you've lost 30% of your allowable bandwidth for the month in one single hour of light use the night before. Especially when our average use for an hour is less than 100mb!
Check your current amount of data left, disconnect your router, and leave your modem on as long as you can without needing to use it, say afternoon and overnight.
The next day, connect one laptop directly to the computer and check your data again. If you haven't lost data then the data loss is probably due to something with the router, or other gear connected to it.
Say if I understand your data disappeared during a time period when you were using your PC correct. If so did you see or did you view any Flash Video during those times? It is very possible to use 2.5gb in an hour I have downloaded 1.5gb files in less than 20 minutes many times. I also did download a 3gb studio OS in less than 30 minutes. Gen4 is faster than you think at times. Now the questions What OS are you using, is Auto Updates turned on, is Flash enabled, how about AV Spyware tracking blockers and gobs of other things that can use up Bandwidth?
I do remember having data gobbled up a couple times after I set the browsers to ask before using flash video I have not had any problem. There are many websites that run Flash automatic and in HD this will eat up Bandwidth in a hurry. Sometimes it is hidden way at the bottom of the screen in the title bar, or off to the side.
My network is secure with authentication using a key. I have run all the tests mentioned above. This happens so infrequently, that it is nearly impossible to catch. Last time was 7 months ago (right after a day spent on the phone with customer service coincidentally enough). Prior to that it was about once every other month or so.
The only computer on last night was a mac which doesn't do flash. It was only being used for light browsing while working on a project, no videos.
We've never seen better than 1.5 gig up here in an hour downloading a few movies duyring the bonus hours... so 2.5-3 during prime time is pretty much impossible to achieve in one hour for us. Customer service acknowledged that last we talked.
It doesn't seem like "real" bandwidth to me. It seems more like their logs are incorrect or are being affected by something other than just my account use. I really need to see the minute-by-minute usage records to be able to rule that out.