Hughesnet Community

2.5 gig vanished in one hour!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gary4

2.5 gig vanished in one hour!

Every once in a while a huge chunk of bandwidth just vanishes from my account. I have gone through all the "testing" hoops that customer support asks me to multiple times and nothing ever comes from any of it. Our network is secure. We have no viruses. We keep close track of our bandwidth use and average about 50-100 meg an hour tops. We have no neighbors for over a 1/4 mile. yet, last night when nothing else was on but one computer, the router and the modem and the use was light to normal for us, suddenly 2.5 gig vanished. When I say suddenly, I mean as best as Hughenest will let me see at http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/actUsage.cfm because it only shows the total use per hour.

So, what is going on? We can't even get 2.5 gig to download in an hour if we tried! But no matter how much I explain that to customer service they still insist it is not on their end... Any ideas? It would be helpful to find somebody who can actually get into the minute-by-minute usage data log  and see if it is an instant thing or looks more like some sort of data drain... it's no fun waking up the next morning and seeing you've lost 30% of your allowable bandwidth for the month in one single hour of light use the night before. Especially when our average use for an hour is less than 100mb!
26 REPLIES 26
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I use a combination of WPA2-PSK and Mac address filtering so even if you find my password your MAC address still has to be listed in the approved list to access anything
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Charles,

Like Gary, I am just to far back in the woods, also using wireless encryption.

In my case it is best described as "unauthorized use by an authorized  device"

You simply can't trust those tablets, phablets & e-readers to stay within the "rules".

That sneaky Nook HD+ of mine once woke up from a "slumber" and downloaded a completely new OS in the middle of the night.

It has to be hard off or airplane mode.

Amanda

Hi Gary,

I hope that our community members have offered some insight on catching this for you. Unfortunately, we do not have minute by minute tracking, only the hourly that you and I see via the support pages. The test of unplugging your LAN cable from the modem is the best route to go if this is something that happens constantly. Please let me know if there is any way I can assist.

Thank you,
Amanda
Desert73

all 20 gb of my monthly data disappeared in ONE day! that is not possible. how do i fix it have been on hold now for 30 minutes.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Desert73 wrote:

all 20 gb of my monthly data disappeared in ONE day! that is not possible. how do i fix it have been on hold now for 30 minutes.

Yes, it is possible.  Depending on your speed, something steadily using your data could burn through 20GB in as little as an hour.  

This thread is very old, so if you would like some help to figure out what is using your data so quickly please start a new topic, which you can do by clicking the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while within the Tech Support section.  

With this said, if you have a DirecTV receiver connected to HughesNet it wouldn't surprise me if this is where the problem lies.  

@Desert73

While 20 gigs seems 'impossible' to go through in a single day, depending on your activities, it actually is very possible to use this much data in a single day.

For example, many of the Xbox One S digital games require downloading from Microsoft..and many of these games are HUGE.

Call of Duty WWII, by itself, is some 54.95 GB...even Trivial Pursuit  is a whopping 821.48 MB. 

If your streaming several movies and/or watching hours of OnDemand video, this will also add up to a huge amount of data.

A Windows 10 Update will run you anywhere from 1-2Gigs.

While these are obviously just examples  that I've listed above, do you think that it is possible that you downloaded content today not fully realizing the sizes of those downloads?