cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 desktop computers

2 desktop computers

We have finally bought a new desktop computer, which does of course have Windows 10 (UGH).  Our old computer is probably 6 years old and we would still like to use it for some of the files, mostly photographs, on it plus still browse the internet.

Can I hook up 2 desktop computers to the HT1100 modem?  If so, what do I need as far as cables?  We do have a wireless router for the laptop and Kindle, but the old computer does not have wireless capabilities as far as I know.  Is there a way to make the old computer wireless?

Back to Windows 10 ...... I am uploading all of the new software/drivers, etc. at a house that has a DSL line so I don't chew up my monthly HughesNet data.  How do I set the new computer to not download updates whenever it wants?  I know how to turn off the live feeds from the tiles because we did this for the laptop.  Is there anything else I can turn off in Windows 10 to limit how much data it is going to chew through? 

18 REPLIES 18
New Poster

Re: 2 desktop computers

I would just buy a USB wifi adapter and you can connect all your devices wireless. no need for all the wires
Junior

Hi grapesb816,
In your original post you said that you already had a router. There should be ports on the router to plug your new computer into using an ethernet cable.

Don  Smiley Happy

I would reccomend that you locate a local IT person to help with
your network config needs
your router has ethernet ports to connect your old pc
or a usb wifi adapter is about $15
Junior

You don't need an IT, just get an inexpensive ethernet cable and plug it into your router.

too much bad advice coming from this forum....while what you (and others) have said is a solution, a local PC knowledgeable person is valuable.....a simple phone call can quickly resolve many of the issues presented in this forum...that have nothing to do with Hughesnet.
New Poster

Howard one of the reasons for this forum is to help customers with simple problems so they dont have to pay someone $40-60 an hour to do something that most customers are capable of

I hear you...I've been providing pro bono help desk activities for a long long long time....and if Hughes is OK with it...so am I...I see most all of the help requests on this site....and it appears to me that the Champion staff is sometimes overburdened with some of the non-Hughes related requests....many of the Hughes related issues are go unresolved.   Just my 2 cents.
Highlighted

Thank you for your advice everyone.  I have to go to Wal-Mart tomorrow (over an hour away) to get an HDMI cable for the new monitor anyway, so I will look for a wireless USB  wifi adapter if available also. 

Howard, we have satellite internet for a reason..... we live in the middle of nowhere, so there is no tech person in their right mind that would come out here to set up the computer nor would I pay for their drive time to get here. It would probably cost me more than the new computer did.  

Junior

Howard,
I am a retired locksmith that works at a local (local here at least. LOL) PC place and a phone call is not necessary. If the OP has more problems they can ask for more help, here and they don't have to pay anything!

As for bad advice; using the computer wireless, adding a wireless USB or using an ethernet cable (all viable choices and up to the end user) are good solutions.
The only other advice, came from you, was that they "locate a local IT person".