cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$214.00 charge pending to my bank account without my authorization for radio transmitter

$214.00 charge pending to my bank account without my authorization for radio transmitter

I thought I was done with HughesNet but apparently not. I cancelled my service several months ago and found out today that my account was charge $214.00 for a radio transmitter that was not returned with the rest of my equipment. I was unaware that i had to get on my roof to remove this piece of equipment. I am not a licensed technician and should not be removing equipment from a satellite that was installed by HughesNet.

The user agreement/contract even specifies:

Unless you have purchased your Equipment from Hughes, the satellite modem, power supply, and radio (outdoor transmitter) to be installed by Hughes at your premises will remain the property of Hughes and shall not be deemed fixtures or part of your realty. You shall have no right to pledge, sell, mortgage, otherwise encumber, give away, remove, relocate, alter, or tamper with the Equipment (or any notice of our ownership thereon) at any time. Any reinstallation, return, or change in the location of the Equipment shall be performed by us at our service rates in effect at the time of such service. You are responsible for preventing the loss or destruction of all Equipment provided pursuant to this Agreement.

But that information was not told to me when I called and cancelled or with the information in the return kit.

I also should have been notified of the fees prior to charging my account but I was not.

The user agreement/contract states:

PART III – PAYMENT

6 FEES.

6.1 FEES, TAXES AND OTHER CHARGES.

You agree to pay, in advance, and in accordance with the provisions of the billing option you selected, any registration, activation, and/or monthly fees, minimum charges, and other amounts charged to or incurred by you, or by users of your account, at the rates in effect for the billing period in which those amounts are charged or incurred. You agree to pay all applicable taxes and Universal Service assessments related to your use of the Service or the use of the Service by users of your account. Information on charges and surcharges (if any) that are to be paid to us and are incurred by you or by users of your account will be made available to you on the Website, and you agree that this is sufficient notice for all purposes as to charges incurred and paid or to be paid to us. In addition, you also agree to pay a surcharge on your service to cover Hughes’ liability for the payment of personal property taxes which may be owing by Hughes in respect of the equipment provided pursuant to this Agreement. Hughes reserves the right to increase fees, surcharges, or monthly subscription fees, or to institute new fees at any time upon thirty (30) days’ prior notice. You understand and acknowledge that you may not receive a bill in the mail for your Service. Additional terms relating to pricing, billing and payment are set forth and available on the Website.

But unfortunately, when one cancels the service, there is not longer access to the account online.

So I will now need to contact my legal services and begin arbitration.

So very disappointed and wish I had never signed up with HughesNet. I dealt with problems during and NOW after my service.

26 REPLIES 26
Associate Professor

Re: $214.00 charge pending to my bank account without my authorization for radio transmitter

Here's my question, did you ask them to send someone out?  The contract states that they will remove the equipment at their rates.

1.2 EQUIPMENT.

You specifically agree that any Equipment provided to you may be new or refurbished as new. Any refurbished Equipment will have the same warranty as new Equipment. If you choose to purchase your Equipment from Hughes, and the Equipment installed at your location is refurbished, in consideration of our provision of such refurbished Equipment, we will provide you with a $25 credit on your first Service invoice.

Unless you have purchased your Equipment from Hughes, the satellite modem, power supply, and radio (outdoor transmitter) to be installed by Hughes at your premises will remain the property of Hughes and shall not be deemed fixtures or part of your realty. You shall have no right to pledge, sell, mortgage, otherwise encumber, give away, remove, relocate, alter, or tamper with the Equipment (or any notice of our ownership thereon) at any time. Any reinstallation, return, or change in the location of the Equipment shall be performed by us at our service rates in effect at the time of such service. You are responsible for preventing the loss or destruction of all Equipment provided pursuant to this Agreement.

Then a bit below that in section 1.3.

Optional Equipment De-installation Service

As an alternative to de-installing and returning applicable Equipment to Hughes yourself (whether before or after the expiration of any Service commitment period), you may request that Hughes de-install and return the modem, power supply, and radio directly for a fee. The amount of this de-installation charge will be the fee then in effect for this service. In the event you elect to purchase this optional service, no Unreturned Equipment Fees will apply.

Then in section 1.4.

1.4 METHOD OF PAYMENT.

Except where additional methods of payment are specifically required or permitted under applicable law or regulation, or where Hughes explicitly and in advance permits another method of payment, you agree that you will provide a major credit or charge card (i.e., MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover) that Hughes may charge for all Service fees or other amounts payable under this Agreement (including Early Termination Fees and Unreturned Equipment Fees). You hereby authorize automatic credit or charge card billing by Hughes for all such charges. You further agree that the charges described above will be billed to the credit or charge card that you have provided when you applied for the Service.

Also, in the return box, if I am not mistaken, there is a paper that shows all equipment that is to be returned.  I know for a fact that they list the transmitter on the dish arm as one of the required items.

Assistant Professor

Re: $214.00 charge pending to my bank account without my authorization for radio transmitter

What happens when you don't return a rental tool? Or a rental anything for that matter. If one leases (rents) the equipment then they are responsible for fees incurred for return or non-return of equipment. Same as responsible for fees when installed although they do run free installation specials. Never heard of a free de-installation special though.

Well again, I was not aware that the "radio transmitter (outside)" was actually on my roof attached to the satellite that was installed by a professional. If I had that information, I would have informed HughesNet that I would not be able to access nor did I have the experience to remove the radio transmitter myself. Then hopefully they would have informed me (prior to charging my account today) that I could have a technician come out for $100. Then I could have made an informed decision...but that was not the case. I had to find out all of this after trying to make a purchase and finding out that it was denied because of an amount that was unauthorized on my account and an overdraft fee charged. I didn't and don't expect "free" anything...I expect to be informed so that I can make a informed decision. Some people should not be so quick to respond when they don't have all of the information.
Assistant Professor

So no paper in the box referring to the radio as Charles mentioned? And only a couple screws to remove it. Is installed by a professional because it takes one to align it and make it work properly.

I did receive a piece of paper with pictures/names of each item but did not know that the radio transmitter (outside) was on the satellite dish on my roof and not very accessible. I returned all of the other items that I had in my possession. When HughesNet received 3 of the 4 items, they could have informed me that I was missing one and that is was attached to the satellite. I can remove a few screws... but again, do not have easy access to my roof and would not want to risk my life for a few screws and a radio transmitter.

Again, no one wants to find out that someone has taken over $200 out of their personal account without some notice. Common courtesy. But maybe I am expecting too much.

It is what it is. Money gone and based on customer service reviews on other sites and feedback from this community site, I will not be getting my money back even once I return the equipment like the rep assured me of today. I will just have to find some resources to help me remove & return the radio transmitter and contact my legal services to help try to get my money & fees back.
Assistant Professor

So never been on a roof? Guess my life experiences are different. Heck, could pay somebody $20 to do it. I do agree about the not knowing the charge was coming though. No emails, nothing?

No, I have never been on a roof...there has never been a  need until this experience for me to get on a roof....but I am sure I am not the only one. Everyone's life experiences are different. And no, I received no correspondence from HughesNet giving me notice that this charge was coming. Last communication I had with HN was in Sept. when I cancelled.

If they would just reverse the charge and allow me to return the part, we could close this chapter but apparently that is not an option. So I will just pursue guidance and move forward.
Assistant Professor

The Official Representatives have 24-48 hours to respond, they are good about working things out.