25Mbps is actually 1Mbps??

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deleclipse
New Poster

25Mbps is actually 1Mbps??

I have been a Hughesnet customer only since April 10th. My best speed test has been at 1.3Mbps. The installer of the satellite claimed I had more than sufficient signal. What gives? Why the horrible speed? I signed up for the 50GB package, at this speed I couldn't reach that if I tried. Please do something about this. Even half the 'speed' I'm paying for would be a world of difference.
Thank you, ~D.
4 REPLIES 4
sjm3_59
New Poster

I switched to Hughes.net back in Feb. We moved out to a rural area and my current provider only offered a shared band width.  After adding DirectTV they recommended Hughes.net so I switched. Now paying more money and the signal is 2X worse with Hughes.net.  Worst decision I've ever made.  My speed tests show 15-20 MBps but there signal is terrible and not consistent.  Now I'm stuck with them for 2 years unless I want to pay a large penalty.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@sjm3_59

If you would like help with the issue(s) you're experiencing, please start a new topic, which you can do here... https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@deleclipse

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Make sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking SSID Enable for each radio individually, as unchecking all four, then clicking "Save Settings", will not hold the settings.  

I have emailed tech support, the rep that contacted me back said some fluffy stuff, and to call. I called 3 times and got hung up on after being on hold for 10 mins plus each time. I emailed again, and received the EXACT same email in response, which I pointed out in my following email. The response apoligized, said that there was nothing they could do over email (??) and said to call. They answered right away this time. The rep ran through some speed tests and confirmed my speed being sub 1mbps. Now I'm to wait 3-5 days to receive a call from some sort of "advanced tech support."

I have been trying to run testmy.net, today they haven't even been working properly, any time i run it over 1.5mb it freezes up between 40 and 80 percent. All prior tests have said 1.3mbps and below.
Really starting to regret getting Hughesnet.