25mps speed but Safari and Firefox load very slow

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RJMFHWA
Freshman

25mps speed but Safari and Firefox load very slow

Am I missing something, the speed appears ok but the connection to both Firefox and Safari is extremely slow.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning RJMFHWA,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@RJMFHWA 

Are you referring to the response time when trying to open web pages?  Are the pages themselves loading slowly once they start?  

Also, how are you verifying your current speed?  If you're not already using it, the best is to use testmy.net with the manual 25MB test size.  

anks for responding, I am using the speedtest you are referring too.  However, on my iphone, and on my iMac, both Safari and Firefox are very slow to load.  All websites are slow to load, after they load, they are still slow.  It is frustrating to see 25mps go so slow, it there some sort of adjustments that I should do to the router to improve the performance?

GabeU

@RJMFHWA 

With you seeing 25Mbps, it's unlikely that any modem settings adjustments would make any difference, or at least not any type of settings or changes that a subscriber can make.  That's not to say that any settings adjustments would or wouldn't help, but only that nothing a subscriber can adjust in the modem likely would.  

It's likely that a rep will need to look into this for you.  I'll tag a couple so that they'll be sure to see this thread and respond, which can take them up to a day or so.  @Liz  @Damian 

The reps will likely need to see your speed tests, so if you haven't already it would be a good idea to create an account at testmy and start running your tests under that account.  This way they can see what's going on with your speeds on a single page, which makes it a lot easier than looking at each test separately.  Plus, tests run under your account will ensure that what they're looking at are your tests, as comp ID and the like on testmy can't be relied on due to HughesNet's use of shared IPs (multiple people can have the same comp ID on testmy).  

Just in case, if they need you to show them what's going on with your slow page load, there's a Firefox add-on called "Load Time".   I had a similiar issue with Facebook many months back and used the same type of add-on with Chrome, which was very helpful.  The issue went away on it's own, but the info it gave them demonstrated in a good way what was going on.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  😞  

Edit:  I should add that, if you have the ability to do so, it may be beneficial to try your web pages with a LAN cable connected device if you're presently using only WiFi.  Sometimes WiFi itself can be the source of the problem, and a LAN cable connection is the strongest and least likely to have issues. 

Thanks - I only wish the install technician had placed the modem in my bedroo. where I originally wanted it,  instead he placed in the living room which makes it difficult to run a landline into my bedroom.   

GabeU

@RJMFHWA 

It's possible that the reps missed this post, as I would have expected them to reply by today.  I'll tag them again.

@Liz @Damian @Jay 

@RJMFHWA wrote:

Thanks - I only wish the install technician had placed the modem in my bedroo. where I originally wanted it,  instead he placed in the living room which makes it difficult to run a landline into my bedroom.   

If your neighbors are running multiple WiFi routers, then it can be tricky or impossible to configure the WiFi around them.  I found that even one other WiFi on 2.4Ghz with a strength above -65dB and your 2.4Ghz WiFi will back down to 1 channel even if configured to use 2 channels, and if they are on an overlapping channel things get very bad.  I use a Netgear Powerline to allow connecting the computers using the network connection using the electric plugs as it is easy to setup.

Hi RJMFHWA,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! Your SAN ends in 37, correct? If so, the diagnostics I've run on your site shows that the HughesNet equipment is working normally, with the modem receiving 40+ Mbps in download speeds. Currently I only see one connected device on the network, an iPhone on the 5Ghz network which only has a fair signal. You can try moving closer to the modem to see if things improve, or switch to the 2.4GHz network which has a bigger range than the 5Ghz network.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning RJMFHWA,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz