cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

not that I know of?????   I've got a very basic setup.  1 computer   1 modem  no router.....how would I know?
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

The question now is why is WINDOWS Explorer using data ? Windows Explorer is a file manager.

Click on the top line in the right pane: The one marked as Windows Explorer in your screenshot.

I would like to see what info comes up in the pop up box:

Highlighted

Hi Cathy,

Glad to see you're working with our community members and making progress. I've sent you some free tokens so you can keep up the investigation. You may receive an e-mailed order confirmation for the complimentary tokens.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
New Poster

I have no idea what +1100 Hosts means, but it doesn't sound good????
Highlighted
New Poster

Highlighted
New Poster

thanks.  will they show on my status meter page?  as I said earlier this kinda stuff makes me sick & I can use all the help I can get!!!
Highlighted

Exactly GWalk, I'm starting to lean towards malware and a quick trip over to malwarebytes.com might be in order but will let you run with the ball now...
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

What is going here is that a part of Windows (Windows Explorer, not to be confused with the program Internet Explorer) is accessing the internet and using large amounts of data.

This could be the result of improper "associations" being set. It could also be the result of virus or malware activity.

I would like to see the IP address of where it is connecting to.

That will be in that pop up box.

Highlighted

But for now, I'd use the Glasswire Firewall tab to block Windows Explorer... to stop the bleeding.

I'll post any additional thoughts up here out of the way end of thread conversation but am stumped.
Highlighted

I don't want to derail you from what's being discovered right now. I agree with these guys that a virus scan is needed; we're seeing some fishy activity. 

Once things have settled down, I can show you how to use the free tokens I sent, because they will not automatically go into your available token bytes.
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.