Hughesnet Community

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cathyedfbf
New Poster

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

I've called 3 times re: excessive data usage. Was told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back. NOW i was told to post my problem. I've never done this before , so now what?
129 REPLIES 129
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Mcafee is a pain.

Try to enable the firewall. Lets see what Mcafee does.

cathyedfbf
New Poster

did you see my ? re: blocked correctly? how do I tell? it shows FIREWALL OFF?
cathyedfbf
New Poster

when I click on OFF, it flashed the green ON for split second then goes to OFF  & gives me the msg about Mcafee
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Try clicking the button to "on"

I think it is a real possibility that you have picked up something malware related.

I want you (after you release the Tokens) is to go here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

And download, install, update and run a manual scan of the free version of Malwarebytes:

cathyedfbf
New Poster

I got kicked out & thought it was dead?   I clicked the green Purchase tokens button on meter page.  it shows a list with 2 types that have FREE.  I clicked on those.  now I'm back to 2.7gb.    but I don't think that's gonna last long????
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

OK, gotcha on the Mcafee.

I haven't used it in years. In part because of things like this.

Lets see if we have a Community user that has recent experience with Mcafee.

I'll try to dig around and see what I can find in the meant time.

Open up Mcafee and see if you can give permission to Glasswire to run.

cathyedfbf
New Poster

Malware link....when I click on the Free Download it goes to a screen showing BUY & doesn't give the option to change to free?   
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Remember will have to repeat the "use" / release for each of your Tokens.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"Malware link....when I click on the Free Download it goes to a screen showing BUY & doesn't give the option to change to free?"

Scroll down the page. The "live link" to the free version is at the bottom of the page:

cathyedfbf
New Poster

it came back to a TRIAL it's running a scan now..what do I do with it?
cathyedfbf
New Poster

it shows a line that says "a scan has never been done on your computer"  with a button that shows FIX NOW.   Do I do anything?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

let scan, it should only take a few minutes.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

click to scan

cathyedfbf
New Poster

what did you mean by a "few" mins?   it's been running 15min?   it shows 50 detected objects?  I'm afraid to click on the "view identified threats"!!
can you access my PC or is that another dept?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

It could take 20 to 70 minutes depending upon what it finds, what processor you have (I3, I5, I7 ....)

As to accessing your computer, no I can't.

I'm a fellow Hughes subscriber. I have been so for over 12 years so I know the Hughes systems well. I also build and repair computers.

I, and a number of others, volunteer time here in the Community in an effort to shorten the "learning curve" as it applies to getting the most from your Hughes connection.

As far as Hughes support ... They are your ISP. They are to supply internet service to the modems LAN port.

They are not set up to provide personal IT support for customer owned equipment.

They do have a "partnership" with a third party paid support company but I think you may wish to see the result of the scan first.

Also there is the option of using your computers factory image restore function that brings the computer back to "day-one" status.

That will defiantly kill all (there are a couple of exceptions) of the Bad Guys but then all of the Windows updates have to be re-installed as well as any software you have installed to date but you should have the discs for those.

cathyedfbf
New Poster

there were a bunch of 'unwanted files' ?  that came up, I clicked on remove.  it's telling me to reboot. so I'm going to do that & come back at ya.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Wow, that is a bunch of them!

Usually it is a matter of one or two. Hopefully with that many involved and considering the a core windows component was affected that the entire operating system isn't toast.

In that event you will have to recover from the factory image.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wow is right. Cathy, in the future you need to be very careful with any software you download and install especially when it doesn't come from the publishers site.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

It may also be time to rethink the use of Mcafee.

Old Labs

FWIW,

There's a known issue with Glasswire and McAfee discussed in the Glasswire forum - something about Glasswire detecting the McAfee firewall and not being able to enable Glasswire's as a second firewall - I really didn't read through all of the posts on it.

That is a lot and wouldn't be surprised to find the were all being downloaded via Windows Explorer at this point.

May be a moot point after running Malware Bytes - hoping Cathy comes back soon with a restart at this point... time will tell.

i never liked John 😉
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I always was a bit paranoid with virus/malware infections.

I guess I subscribe to the "nuke and repave" school of thought.

She didn't post what those "objects" were. A cookie is one thing ..... then there are the others as well as corruption of key system files.