cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

Honorary Alumnus

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

It may also be time to rethink the use of Mcafee.

Highlighted

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

FWIW,

There's a known issue with Glasswire and McAfee discussed in the Glasswire forum - something about Glasswire detecting the McAfee firewall and not being able to enable Glasswire's as a second firewall - I really didn't read through all of the posts on it.

That is a lot and wouldn't be surprised to find the were all being downloaded via Windows Explorer at this point.

May be a moot point after running Malware Bytes - hoping Cathy comes back soon with a restart at this point... time will tell.

i never liked John Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

I always was a bit paranoid with virus/malware infections.

I guess I subscribe to the "nuke and repave" school of thought.

She didn't post what those "objects" were. A cookie is one thing ..... then there are the others as well as corruption of key system files.

Highlighted
New Poster

What do I do know?   is it fixed???     I have NO idea what I installed?   As I'm sure you all can tell I'm NOT a "tech person"  
Highlighted
New Poster

re: Glasswire   do I need all the alerts popping up?  AND how do I tell if Windows Explorer blocked and do I unblock it....since I have no idea what it does?
Highlighted

We we're just talking techie stuff - crossing our fingers that you'd actually be able to reboot!

If you have rebooted, check Glasswire to see if Windows Explorer is still bleeding your data.   
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Cathy,

Just as a safety measure I would like to see you do another scan but .....

Done in "Safe Mode"

Shut your computer completely off.

When you hit power button to restart have your finger poised over the "f-8" button.

Hit F8 repeatedly at the rate of about 1 time per second.

That will interrupt the normal boot sequence.

A black screen will come up. Select SAFE MODE (without networking.

Once it starts, very little will be running. Manually start Malwarebytes and do a complete scan.

Se if it finds more in that mode.

Restart normally and let us know the result.

Highlighted
New Poster

Do you all suggest NOT renewing with Mcafee?  I thought I was doing good!?!?   If not what do you suggest?   "nuke & repave" doesn't sound like something I can do!!    I don't see how ya'll do this?  I'm obviously very tired!!   that previous question was "what do I do NOW"?
Highlighted
New Poster

still not sure exactly what I'm looking for...but it still looks like high usage??
Highlighted

The Glasswire alerts are actually a good sign and sometimes useful. Eventually they will subside - I suspect many are detecting new versions of programs (actually the older versions before infection).

Glasswire wasn't able to block Windows Explorer due to McAfee.

You'd need to use McAfee to block Windows Explorer in this case. McAfee isn't all that bad but requires ensuring that the latest Virus definitions are downloaded - each antivirus has its own idiosyncrasies to be coped with.