Hughesnet Community

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cathyedfbf
New Poster

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

I've called 3 times re: excessive data usage. Was told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back. NOW i was told to post my problem. I've never done this before , so now what?
129 REPLIES 129
cathyedfbf
New Poster

What do I do know?   is it fixed???     I have NO idea what I installed?   As I'm sure you all can tell I'm NOT a "tech person"  
cathyedfbf
New Poster

re: Glasswire   do I need all the alerts popping up?  AND how do I tell if Windows Explorer blocked and do I unblock it....since I have no idea what it does?
Old Labs

We we're just talking techie stuff - crossing our fingers that you'd actually be able to reboot!

If you have rebooted, check Glasswire to see if Windows Explorer is still bleeding your data.   
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Cathy,

Just as a safety measure I would like to see you do another scan but .....

Done in "Safe Mode"

Shut your computer completely off.

When you hit power button to restart have your finger poised over the "f-8" button.

Hit F8 repeatedly at the rate of about 1 time per second.

That will interrupt the normal boot sequence.

A black screen will come up. Select SAFE MODE (without networking.

Once it starts, very little will be running. Manually start Malwarebytes and do a complete scan.

Se if it finds more in that mode.

Restart normally and let us know the result.

cathyedfbf
New Poster

Do you all suggest NOT renewing with Mcafee?  I thought I was doing good!?!?   If not what do you suggest?   "nuke & repave" doesn't sound like something I can do!!    I don't see how ya'll do this?  I'm obviously very tired!!   that previous question was "what do I do NOW"?
cathyedfbf
New Poster

still not sure exactly what I'm looking for...but it still looks like high usage??
Old Labs

The Glasswire alerts are actually a good sign and sometimes useful. Eventually they will subside - I suspect many are detecting new versions of programs (actually the older versions before infection).

Glasswire wasn't able to block Windows Explorer due to McAfee.

You'd need to use McAfee to block Windows Explorer in this case. McAfee isn't all that bad but requires ensuring that the latest Virus definitions are downloaded - each antivirus has its own idiosyncrasies to be coped with. 

Old Labs

Keep an eye on the GB being consumed by Windows Explorer in the right hand Glasswire pane at the top of the Apps section as shown above, to see if it continues climbing. If MalwareBytes was successful, it should stop increasing and flat line at 1.2 GB - if it continues to climb, we're gonna need a bigger hammer. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I suggest doing a rescan in safe mode.

Follow that up with seeing if data is still draining out. It will still be at the top of the Glasswire list because it is part of todays usage but a peek at the status meter should tell the tale.

Lets see if things are under control before we discus "nuke and repave".

We can talk about the various replacements for Mcafee later.

If you don't see around much tomorrow think nothing of it.

Up at 5am and not back home from work until at least 5 pm. but I'll try to check in on my tablet.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As Old Labs stated, keep an eye on the right pane Windows Explorer listing. It should remain at 1.2 GB and not climb.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The Glasswire "Firewall" is actually just a different interface for the Windows Firewall... The way Win10 is built, you are pretty much stuck with the stock firewall even if you purchase something from another company, as it's just that other companies interface.
cathyedfbf
New Poster

This is the results of the 2nd scan....even I can tell it looks much better!!
So, what do I do if the Wins Exp starts climbing up fast again?   Come back here, start a new post, shoot myself OR drink a lot?     If this is "goodbye"....THANKS AGAIN!!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you notice large chunks of data being used by Windows Explorer, or anything that seems suspicious, just come back and let us know.  If it's in the next few days, just post a reply here, if it's in a few months you may be better to create a new post. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

If WE starts again we will, like Old Labs said, "use a bigger hammer".

There is no reason to say goodbye ... there is a wealth of computer and Hughesnet related information buried in the topics here in the Community. You are always welcome to come browse and or chat.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

524 items found???  Oh my! 
GabeU

524 items found???  Oh my! 
Liz

Good morning all,

Thank you for keeping at it, you've made some great progress! I hope the last bit of cleaning helped and we no longer see usage leaking from Windows Explorer. I'll keep this thread open for you, Cathy, so you can keep us updated on your usage since removing all that malware.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

cathyedfbf
New Poster

now Google Chrome looks weird??   the total usage was at 1.3g with I closed down last nite.
it's already up to 15.5M since I took this shot?   Wins Exp isn't showing here but it on the Firewall Tab?   Google Chrome is up to 12.1M?   
Help?!?
I noticed Wins is downloading updates. didn't think this had anything to do with it...but?
Maybe I'm being paranoid?   but the Total sure jumped a bunch overnite? 
Old Labs

Cathy,

Nothing looks to be out of the ordinary with the screen capture posted about 9:50 AM Eastern time.

Windows Explorer will continue to show on the Glasswire Firewall tab due to it's prior internet usage.

Google Chrome usage looks normal for a browser (even this page itself uses up to 3.2 MB depending on what's been cached in your browser). So the numbers don't appear alarming yet.

Windows Update data usage is tallied under the Host Process for Windows Services and yes Patch Tuesday started yesterday with the new Cumulative Update strategy for Windows 7.

I'd recommend clicking on Apps next to the shaded All in the upper left just under the tabs - this will give you a view by Application and then you can select an application which further narrows down or filters the right hand side by a specific application - allowing you to better observe applications one by one. Remember to select All Apps from the left side to see all activity.

Everything looks good so far, so you can quit drinking now...

I'll let the others make suggestions on how to tame Windows Updates on Windows 7 and the strategy needed since I'm not really familiar with the HughesNet plan specifics, as well as some likely unwanted usage occurring with Chrome since I use Firefox.   

P.S. Hopefully markniwot has been lurking and paying attention to your saga 😉         
cathyedfbf
New Poster

Old Labs,
     Thanks again for the reassurance!   I guess that was a wasted panic!   I've worked around computers all my life...from back in the olden days of mainframes & keypunch machines....yes, I'm old!!     When this stuff goes off the norm...it's scary!      Hope you have a goodun & this is your last dumb question for the day!!
GabeU

You're just being vigilant, and that's good.  Over time you'll learn what the programs and apps normally use.  As of right now, like Old Labs mentioned, it looks fine.  

That was a huge number of items that Malwarebytes found, but it's good that it did.  From now on it would probably be a good idea to run a scan on a regular basis.  I try to run one every three or four days, personally.