cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

now Google Chrome looks weird??   the total usage was at 1.3g with I closed down last nite.
it's already up to 15.5M since I took this shot?   Wins Exp isn't showing here but it on the Firewall Tab?   Google Chrome is up to 12.1M?   
Help?!?
I noticed Wins is downloading updates. didn't think this had anything to do with it...but?
Maybe I'm being paranoid?   but the Total sure jumped a bunch overnite? 
Highlighted

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

Cathy,

Nothing looks to be out of the ordinary with the screen capture posted about 9:50 AM Eastern time.

Windows Explorer will continue to show on the Glasswire Firewall tab due to it's prior internet usage.

Google Chrome usage looks normal for a browser (even this page itself uses up to 3.2 MB depending on what's been cached in your browser). So the numbers don't appear alarming yet.

Windows Update data usage is tallied under the Host Process for Windows Services and yes Patch Tuesday started yesterday with the new Cumulative Update strategy for Windows 7.

I'd recommend clicking on Apps next to the shaded All in the upper left just under the tabs - this will give you a view by Application and then you can select an application which further narrows down or filters the right hand side by a specific application - allowing you to better observe applications one by one. Remember to select All Apps from the left side to see all activity.

Everything looks good so far, so you can quit drinking now...

I'll let the others make suggestions on how to tame Windows Updates on Windows 7 and the strategy needed since I'm not really familiar with the HughesNet plan specifics, as well as some likely unwanted usage occurring with Chrome since I use Firefox.   

P.S. Hopefully markniwot has been lurking and paying attention to your saga Smiley Wink         
Highlighted
New Poster

Old Labs,
     Thanks again for the reassurance!   I guess that was a wasted panic!   I've worked around computers all my life...from back in the olden days of mainframes & keypunch machines....yes, I'm old!!     When this stuff goes off the norm...it's scary!      Hope you have a goodun & this is your last dumb question for the day!!
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

You're just being vigilant, and that's good.  Over time you'll learn what the programs and apps normally use.  As of right now, like Old Labs mentioned, it looks fine.  

That was a huge number of items that Malwarebytes found, but it's good that it did.  From now on it would probably be a good idea to run a scan on a regular basis.  I try to run one every three or four days, personally. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
New Poster

I wish I knew what I did so I don't do it again!!   tks for the scan helpful hint!
Highlighted
New Poster

She's back!!   Still not sure when to panic!?   but, the total usage is higher than it was yesterday after it had gone down to 1.3g  lastnite.    What Total Usage amt indicates a problem?
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Maybe time to also run a rootkit scanner such as the one here: http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/TDSSKiller
Highlighted
New Poster

I have no idea what you're talking about, so I don't know what to?   Sorry, I'm tech-stupid!    Do I download & install etc....not sure what you meant by "maybe"  OR wait for Gwalk that worked with me yesterday on this?
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Malwarebytes also has one: https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/

You simply download, install and run just like you did for the Malwarebytes malware scanner. Was simply saying since it is back then the issue may be much deeper such as a rootkit virus which modifies low level system files.
Highlighted

First guess is that it's abut 175 MB attributable to Windows Updates and just about the same as what's waiting for me to manually download with Windows Update. October's cumulative updates started rolling out yesterday. Since you previously indicated you were using Windows 7, go into Windows Update and change the settings to:

This will allow you to control when they are downloaded in the future. For example on my provider, I do that during the free zone or when feeling flush with data. The strategy may differ with HughesNet.

Windows update will also display a history of installed updates - they may have not yet installed but would do so on rebooting and show up then with today's date.