Hughesnet Community

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cathyedfbf
New Poster

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

I've called 3 times re: excessive data usage. Was told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back. NOW i was told to post my problem. I've never done this before , so now what?
129 REPLIES 129
cathyedfbf
New Poster

I wish I knew what I did so I don't do it again!!   tks for the scan helpful hint!
cathyedfbf
New Poster

She's back!!   Still not sure when to panic!?   but, the total usage is higher than it was yesterday after it had gone down to 1.3g  lastnite.    What Total Usage amt indicates a problem?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Maybe time to also run a rootkit scanner such as the one here: http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/TDSSKiller
cathyedfbf
New Poster

I have no idea what you're talking about, so I don't know what to?   Sorry, I'm tech-stupid!    Do I download & install etc....not sure what you meant by "maybe"  OR wait for Gwalk that worked with me yesterday on this?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Malwarebytes also has one: https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/

You simply download, install and run just like you did for the Malwarebytes malware scanner. Was simply saying since it is back then the issue may be much deeper such as a rootkit virus which modifies low level system files.
Old Labs

First guess is that it's abut 175 MB attributable to Windows Updates and just about the same as what's waiting for me to manually download with Windows Update. October's cumulative updates started rolling out yesterday. Since you previously indicated you were using Windows 7, go into Windows Update and change the settings to:

This will allow you to control when they are downloaded in the future. For example on my provider, I do that during the free zone or when feeling flush with data. The strategy may differ with HughesNet.

Windows update will also display a history of installed updates - they may have not yet installed but would do so on rebooting and show up then with today's date.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I went to download that and my antivirus popped up with a "Trojan.Dropper.Gen" warning. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Strange, downloaded fine here then scanned and came back clean.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I figured she already had that set, maybe not.
GabeU

It may just be my antivirus.  It gets touchy.  I tried it a second time and same thing.  I really want to try it but that is "bugging" me.  LOL.  Maybe I can download it from CNet and see if that makes any difference. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'm running it right now for grins, pretty sure no rootkit here.
GabeU

I downloaded it from their "All Products" page and it went fine.  Now I'll run it.  I've never had a problem that I know of, but why not, right? 

Old Labs

I vaguely recall her mentioning Windows Updates were downloading earlier today - but I've been unable to verify any of those IPv6 addresses so far...
cathyedfbf
New Poster

Rootkit scan finished:  NO malware found!  No cleanup required.    That sounds good.
Window updates were done before I started this up again.   
 here's the latest GW.    The good news (I guess) is doesn't seem to be eating up the Tokens they added yesterday?
What are all these Hosts?    just curious
All the Wins updates worked ok except for 1 optional for Intel graphics something???
Old Labs

The hosts represent all of the servers (web sites) your applications are talking to - the cryptic numeric ones are those that Glasswire can't resolve to a "user friendly" name. FWIW, I do see at least one ad related site there - you may want to install and ad blocker to save even more data. Can't make a recommendation for Chrome however, i don't use it.
GabeU

The Windows Updates were done today, right?  If so, they would be part of the Host Process.  That's probably what most of that is.   

You can change it from "All" to "Apps" (on the left), then click on Chrome to show what sites used the data. 

cathyedfbf
New Poster

ad blocker for which ad related site?    A couple of weeks ago(?),  I started getting an ad showing up in the first few lines of my HNS email  that comes thru Google.   Other than it being irritating, it didn't appear to be causing a problem???   could it be?   From what I read on Google, there wasn't anything I could do about!?!?      So is there a Total Usage Number to panic about?   is this total for the day?     (I think I've used up my "dumb question" quota for the month already!!)
Old Labs

https://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

Yes displaying total for day - but Glasswire can display for Month or Week also - see upper right under the tabs.

Don't know how HughesNet quotas work...

All ISPs offer unlimited "dumb questions" but yours aren't... 
GabeU

Yay!  A clean scan!  I'm sure glad my computer is clean of rootkits, even though I had no idea what a rootkit was (I do now) and didn't know it was a bad thing.  LOL. 
GabeU

Old Labs,

I recently tried  uBlock Origin and that's a good one, as well.  I'm using both of them together now. 

cathyedfbf,

If and when you add the AdBlock Plus, make sure that you uncheck "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" under its settings, as it's pretty much useless with that checked.  It deems just about all ads as non-intrusive.  LOL. 

And, as Old Labs intimated, no questions are dumb.  They are only dumb if you don't ask them. 

cathyedfbf
New Poster

well, that was easy enough!!   ads in email are gone!      you're a miracle worker AND you love Labs!    what else could I ask for?
However, I do have 2 more dumb questions, please.   Does this Usage total reset everyday?  If so, maybe that amt is for the Win updates you referred to earlier as being about the same amt you had?     what is a "oh gawd no" amt for the total usage to go?  ya'll sound pretty serious yesterday when it was at 243mb.   I just checked & it's at 298m