cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

New Poster

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

ad blocker for which ad related site?    A couple of weeks ago(?),  I started getting an ad showing up in the first few lines of my HNS email  that comes thru Google.   Other than it being irritating, it didn't appear to be causing a problem???   could it be?   From what I read on Google, there wasn't anything I could do about!?!?      So is there a Total Usage Number to panic about?   is this total for the day?     (I think I've used up my "dumb question" quota for the month already!!)
Highlighted

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

https://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

Yes displaying total for day - but Glasswire can display for Month or Week also - see upper right under the tabs.

Don't know how HughesNet quotas work...

All ISPs offer unlimited "dumb questions" but yours aren't... 
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Yay!  A clean scan!  I'm sure glad my computer is clean of rootkits, even though I had no idea what a rootkit was (I do now) and didn't know it was a bad thing.  LOL. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Old Labs,

I recently tried  uBlock Origin and that's a good one, as well.  I'm using both of them together now. 

cathyedfbf,

If and when you add the AdBlock Plus, make sure that you uncheck "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" under its settings, as it's pretty much useless with that checked.  It deems just about all ads as non-intrusive.  LOL. 

And, as Old Labs intimated, no questions are dumb.  They are only dumb if you don't ask them. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
New Poster

well, that was easy enough!!   ads in email are gone!      you're a miracle worker AND you love Labs!    what else could I ask for?
However, I do have 2 more dumb questions, please.   Does this Usage total reset everyday?  If so, maybe that amt is for the Win updates you referred to earlier as being about the same amt you had?     what is a "oh gawd no" amt for the total usage to go?  ya'll sound pretty serious yesterday when it was at 243mb.   I just checked & it's at 298m
Highlighted

No.  The usage tally is ongoing.  Never resetting.  You just choose what part to look at, whether a day, week or month, or anything in between by using the sliders and calendar dates on the top.  It keeps it current to the last thirty days, saving the last thirty days for you to be able to look at, and pulls the 30th day ahead as the days go on.  So, if it's the 5th of a month, it keeps the total running from the 5th of the previous month, then the 6th to the 6th, 7th to the 7th, and so on.   I can look all the way back to the 12th of September right now. 

Sorry, I should have let Old Labs answer you.  I didn't mean to step on him/her. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I was referring to the Day part, since that was the one we've been looking at.  you were too fast for me, I did an edited reply but not sure where it went????
any thoughts on the Total usage panic amt?   it's at 299  now!
Highlighted

That's only 10MB more in two and half hours.  Not really anything to worry about. 

With it being on the day option, it will show the total for whatever day you are on, from 12:00AM to the current time.  If you are on "Day" tomorrow, it will show your amount from 12:00AM Thursday (tomorrow) morning to the current time tomorrow that you are looking at it.  You can look at totals going from the current day to thirty days ago, or anything in between by changing day to week or month and moving the left slider to wherever you want it from the past.  You can also look at a day or days from the past by moving the sliders to select just that day or days.   But, at 12:00AM tonight, the Day will change from today to tomorrow, so if you looked at it at 1:35AM and it was on Day, you would only be seeing the totals from 12:00AM to 1:35AM tomorrow.   

Highlighted
New Poster

Do you think we need the "big hammer"  or just wait for it to blow up?  at 299.9
Highlighted

I can't remember, are you on a Gen4 plan or a daily reset plan?  Did you install your Windows updates today? 

Post another "All" screenshot so we can see what used the 10MB.