Hughesnet Community

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cathyedfbf
New Poster

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

I've called 3 times re: excessive data usage. Was told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back. NOW i was told to post my problem. I've never done this before , so now what?
129 REPLIES 129
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

No.  The usage tally is ongoing.  Never resetting.  You just choose what part to look at, whether a day, week or month, or anything in between by using the sliders and calendar dates on the top.  It keeps it current to the last thirty days, saving the last thirty days for you to be able to look at, and pulls the 30th day ahead as the days go on.  So, if it's the 5th of a month, it keeps the total running from the 5th of the previous month, then the 6th to the 6th, 7th to the 7th, and so on.   I can look all the way back to the 12th of September right now. 

Sorry, I should have let Old Labs answer you.  I didn't mean to step on him/her. 

cathyedfbf
New Poster

I was referring to the Day part, since that was the one we've been looking at.  you were too fast for me, I did an edited reply but not sure where it went????
any thoughts on the Total usage panic amt?   it's at 299  now!
GabeU

That's only 10MB more in two and half hours.  Not really anything to worry about. 

With it being on the day option, it will show the total for whatever day you are on, from 12:00AM to the current time.  If you are on "Day" tomorrow, it will show your amount from 12:00AM Thursday (tomorrow) morning to the current time tomorrow that you are looking at it.  You can look at totals going from the current day to thirty days ago, or anything in between by changing day to week or month and moving the left slider to wherever you want it from the past.  You can also look at a day or days from the past by moving the sliders to select just that day or days.   But, at 12:00AM tonight, the Day will change from today to tomorrow, so if you looked at it at 1:35AM and it was on Day, you would only be seeing the totals from 12:00AM to 1:35AM tomorrow.   

cathyedfbf
New Poster

Do you think we need the "big hammer"  or just wait for it to blow up?  at 299.9
GabeU

I can't remember, are you on a Gen4 plan or a daily reset plan?  Did you install your Windows updates today? 

Post another "All" screenshot so we can see what used the 10MB. 

cathyedfbf
New Poster

I'm on Gen4 & they added a bunch of Tokens for me yesterday.  That hasn't gone down today.  It's the Glasswire # growing.  We just installed that yesterday, to see what the prob might be.  It still doesn't make much sense to me, but it doesn't need to if it's not fixing to blow up!!

& yes the Windows updates did install when I did a restart earlier.
GabeU

Well, Chrome used 9.9MB, and Malwarebytes used 0.9, so there's 10.8 of the additional 11.6MBs since 3:25PM.  So the other 0.8 is spread over a few things.  The Status Meter, McAfee, Accuweather, etc.  11.6MB data over two hours and fifty four minutes is not much usage at all.  It looks fine.  

No.  It's not going to blow up.  LOL.  Everything right now looks good.  Since 3:25PM you've used very little data. 

Just keep an eye on it.  Unless it starts rising drastically, you are fine.  Remember, that 300.7MB is your total for the day, not since you last checked it.  That's the total since 12:43AMthis morning (your left slider wasn't quite on 12:00AM, but you weren't on then, anyway, as you can see).  When you look at the "Day" tomorrow, it will be from 12:00AM to when you are looking at it.

Also, even when you X out of the program on the screen, it's still tallying.  It doesn't shut down.  It only shuts off if you go to the icon in the task bar, right click it, and click exit.  But, don't do that.  LOL. 

Again, everything looks fine right now.  

GabeU

Also, Old Labs indicated that the Windows 7 updates today were about 175MB, and your Host Processes is right at that, so that's something that you won't have every day. 

So, in reality, without the updates, your usage was about 125MB so far today.  That's not bad at all.   Heck, I probably use at least twice that every day that I'm on, not counting any Windows updates that I have.   

Old Labs

No need for the big hammer - I've put the 15 pound sledge away.

Yesterday that 243 MB was used rather quickly (the reason we were serious) and by the time we were through yesterday you'd burned through over 1GB.

Total for today is in the 300 MB range - and 175 MB of that was Windows Update.

The HughesNet subscribers here can tell you how best to optimize, strategize, and stretch data for your particular plan.

I was just filling in for Gwalk during his absence -  I am not GWalk nor do I play him on the Internet. I am however a shill like him, just elsewhere or so I'm told 😉 but just helping out a fellow space traveler...           
cathyedfbf
New Poster

So all this is translating to me as....don't panic if it goes over 300 in a day, unless it does it in 15 minutes and my free Tokens aren't eaten up as they were yesterday!   And run the Malware scan every 4 days.       Thanks again for everybody's help!
cathyedfbf
New Poster

Old Labs.....I couldn't have done this without ya!!!    (keep the sledge handy...jic!?)
Take care!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Mine came back negative to. They are very nasty things and can cause excessive usage. Glad to see Cathy seems to have things under control now.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Old Labs, got home at 5:15pm and proceeded to make a miss move on a setting in my new router and made toast out of my wireless network.
Had to move heaven and earth (plus a lot of the Wife's glassware so I could connect by Ethernet and fix the problem.
I know better than that but it was such a little change 🙂

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Cathy,
It really looks OK at this point. Your big user for the day was Windows Updates and this is the week for them.

I make it a point to run a manual virus scan and a manual Malwarebytes scan once per week as a "housekeeping" chore.

Keep an eye on things and give us screenshot once or twice a day for a couple of days just to stay vigilant.
cathyedfbf
New Poster

Do you have a virus scan link you recommend & can send me?  The only thing I've ever used was whatever Mcafee has & that didn't seem to stop whatever bit me?!    Many thanks!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

We can talk about other programs of course but have you ever clicked on the Mcafee icon on the lower right of your screen to open the interface and ran a manual scan?
cathyedfbf
New Poster

I think I have....not sure when exactly.  I go into it every now & then to make sure everything is ON.   That's great....since I'm already paying for it!   Too many choices just confuses me!!   Tks!
Old Labs

I used to have a 100 ft Cat-5 cable just for that purpose that could often be seen stretching down the hallway, around the corner and down the stairs... before fully going the wireless "mobile workstation" and Surface Pro routes - the old desktop with just the basics and some VMs now sits right next to the modem and router (sits mostly idle since my developer days have long passed now).

P.S. I suspect disabling the McAfee Personal Firewall may have enabled Glasswire's to have been used. 
cathyedfbf
New Poster

Good morn Gwalk or ?
    as suggested here's the current shot of GW

when I first opened it, I freaked....it showed almost 400   then realized it wasn't MB.
sure glad I noticed that!     I send another shot this evening (if I don't have to bother you before then).     tks again for everything!!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

It looks pretty good today Cathy.
cathyedfbf
New Poster

Hello Gwalk....here's my latest shot of GW

I think it looks like it's supposed to?    I'm going to quit pestering ya'll for now (unless you think I need to send shots tomorrow) & say Thank you again!