cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

We can talk about other programs of course but have you ever clicked on the Mcafee icon on the lower right of your screen to open the interface and ran a manual scan?
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

I think I have....not sure when exactly.  I go into it every now & then to make sure everything is ON.   That's great....since I'm already paying for it!   Too many choices just confuses me!!   Tks!
Highlighted

I used to have a 100 ft Cat-5 cable just for that purpose that could often be seen stretching down the hallway, around the corner and down the stairs... before fully going the wireless "mobile workstation" and Surface Pro routes - the old desktop with just the basics and some VMs now sits right next to the modem and router (sits mostly idle since my developer days have long passed now).

P.S. I suspect disabling the McAfee Personal Firewall may have enabled Glasswire's to have been used. 
Highlighted
New Poster

Good morn Gwalk or ?
    as suggested here's the current shot of GW

when I first opened it, I freaked....it showed almost 400   then realized it wasn't MB.
sure glad I noticed that!     I send another shot this evening (if I don't have to bother you before then).     tks again for everything!!
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

It looks pretty good today Cathy.
Highlighted
New Poster

Hello Gwalk....here's my latest shot of GW

I think it looks like it's supposed to?    I'm going to quit pestering ya'll for now (unless you think I need to send shots tomorrow) & say Thank you again!   
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Looks good Cathy. I think you are good to go.
At least you now have the tools to keep an eye on things.
Don't forget to run a Malwarebytes scan once per week.
Highlighted

I'll assume y'all are out of the woods on this one, but wanted to weigh-in with one more observation...

Kudos to HughesNet and Liz in particular for granting the free tokens enabling it to be tracked down.

Wish that things were like that over in  my neighborhood - there's a lot to be learned from these things when they can be played out in the public square for all to see without interference from the naysayers.
Highlighted
New Poster

I just finished Malware & McAfee scans & they came up 0 issues!   Thanks so much for following up on me.   I was definitely in a panic when I first started the post.  (I still say the Old Labs pic calmed me down!)     With everyone's help, it appears to be back to normal.   Thanks again to all !   
Highlighted

Wonderful! Thank you for updating us, Cathy. The community is always here if you need additional help.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.