cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

Highlighted
New Poster

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

I've called 3 times re: excessive data usage. Was told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back. NOW i was told to post my problem. I've never done this before , so now what?
129 REPLIES 129
Highlighted

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

Good morning Cathy,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns. Please read the information here and follow the instructions:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Then you may post your screenshots here in your thread. The purpose of this test is to rule out the HughesNet modem as the cause of your unidentified data usage.

After we rule out the modem, our community can advise you on how to best manage your data allowance and hunt down possible culprits. Just today we had two people report way they got to the bottom of their data usage concerns:

catfish's thread about the data-eating virus
Doug's thread about using NoScript in FireFox to lock down his data usage

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

Highlighted
New Poster

Sorry, I'm very 'untechie'!   Everything I've read thru so far doesn't seem to apply to me.  I have no reuter, wifi, smart tv etc.  I don't have any of the screening apps.  I don't watch tv progs on my computer.   I'm not even sure how to attach the screen shot?  I can tell you after the LAN being unplugged yesterday @ 3:16 pm the Tokens were @ 3.7 gb & were the same when I plugged the LAN back in.   Now they're at 3.1 @ 11:12am.   All I did was check email & this posting stuff.   I don't have a clue how to check for a virus.  This happened awhile back & after reporting it to HNS it stopped?  Now what?
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

How to take a screenshot:

http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

What operating system are you running ?

Are you running an anti-virus program?

I suggest that you download and install the free version of Glasswire:

www.glasswire.com

After installation and a couple of test posts of posting screenshots we will go through the setup and understanding of the Glasswire output.

One step at a time

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm on Wins 7.  I have McAfee.  No wireless printer.   Again sorry, I should have made myself clearer. I know how to do a screenshot.  I'm not sure how to get it posted here!  This is the first time I've had to do this crap.
Since I'm already down to 2.9gb on my tokens, I'm leary of downloading anything?    Yes, the post from Yorkytime was cute, but I don't have a husband or a cellphone!   Without getting too technical, can you explain how this is a problem with my PC if it doesn't use data allowance when the LAN in unplugged?  As I said before, Tokens were at 3.7gb when I unplugged it & 3.7 when I plugged it back in.  
Highlighted

Cathy,

The unplugging of the LAN was simply meant to determine whether usage was disappearing while unplugged which would indicate a HughesNet issue.

You're in good hands with Gwalk and he's methodically stepping through to make the determination now that first possibility has been eliminated. FWIW, Glasswire is about a 30 MB download or roughly .03GB.

I'll butt out now since I'm really not from around these parts...

Highlighted
New Poster

tks for the reassurance!  I know just enough about this stuff to check my emails & a few websites!  This stuff makes me sick to my stomach!   But, your Old Labs pic cheered me up!!   Best furrkids in the whole wide world!    tks again.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

"Yes, the post from Yorkytime was cute, but I don't have a husband or a cellphone!"

The post was not so much meant to be "cute" but as to point out the need to suspect every possible culpri

t.

" I said before, Tokens were at 3.7gb when I unplugged it & 3.7 when I plugged it back in"

If you had 3.7 remaining prior to shut down and 3.7 remaining after start up then this means that the modem did not use any data on its own.

"Without getting too technical, can you explain how this is a problem with my PC if it doesn't use data allowance when the LAN in unplugged?"

A single computer consists of:

> The Operating System <

> The software that is installed on the  computer <

> The background processes running on the computer <

Many of the Operating Systems functions are run unseen as background processes.

Software does not always do as its told.

My Windows 7 machine currently  has 100 background processes in operation.

The only way to really tell what is running is to install monitoring software such as Glasswire so as to see what is running, if it is connected and using data and finally how much data.

"I know how to do a screenshot.  I'm not sure how to get it posted here!"

(Click on picture for larger image

Highlighted

Old Labs are the best Labs... often overlooked at the shelters and rescues. That's my eldest at 15 years - got him at 9 when he was abandoned for being too old but he's still chasing those squirrels.