Hughesnet Community

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cathyedfbf
New Poster

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

I've called 3 times re: excessive data usage. Was told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back. NOW i was told to post my problem. I've never done this before , so now what?
129 REPLIES 129
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

The question now is why is WINDOWS Explorer using data ? Windows Explorer is a file manager.

Click on the top line in the right pane: The one marked as Windows Explorer in your screenshot.

I would like to see what info comes up in the pop up box:

Liz

Hi Cathy,

Glad to see you're working with our community members and making progress. I've sent you some free tokens so you can keep up the investigation. You may receive an e-mailed order confirmation for the complimentary tokens.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

cathyedfbf
New Poster

I have no idea what +1100 Hosts means, but it doesn't sound good????
cathyedfbf
New Poster

cathyedfbf
New Poster

thanks.  will they show on my status meter page?  as I said earlier this kinda stuff makes me sick & I can use all the help I can get!!!
Old Labs

Exactly GWalk, I'm starting to lean towards malware and a quick trip over to malwarebytes.com might be in order but will let you run with the ball now...
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

What is going here is that a part of Windows (Windows Explorer, not to be confused with the program Internet Explorer) is accessing the internet and using large amounts of data.

This could be the result of improper "associations" being set. It could also be the result of virus or malware activity.

I would like to see the IP address of where it is connecting to.

That will be in that pop up box.

Old Labs

But for now, I'd use the Glasswire Firewall tab to block Windows Explorer... to stop the bleeding.

I'll post any additional thoughts up here out of the way end of thread conversation but am stumped.
Liz

I don't want to derail you from what's being discovered right now. I agree with these guys that a virus scan is needed; we're seeing some fishy activity. 

Once things have settled down, I can show you how to use the free tokens I sent, because they will not automatically go into your available token bytes.
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"But for now, I'd use the Glasswire Firewall tab to block Windows Explorer... to stop the bleeding."

I agree.

I'll take all the help we can get. I have to run for a while but I'll be back.

Click the "Firewall" tab....

go down the list and find WINDOWS EXPLORER ... NOT Internet Explorer

Click on it in the list and click on the "click to block" button.

Frankly, its just not normal for Windows Explorer to connect and use data.

Old Labs

I'd also suggest switching to the Apps view rather than Traffic and zeroing in on the Hosts for Windows Explorer.  
cathyedfbf
New Poster

the email I just opened is telling me to contact Advanced Tech Support.  Does this mean you're through with me?   

OLD LABS:   wasn't sure how to get back to you, but thanks for your help & good luck with your Labs!!
cathyedfbf
New Poster

Thanks for your time!  Cathy
Liz

I'm not sure what e-mail you're referring to, but for this issue, you should stick with the community.

-Liz

cathyedfbf
New Poster

I checked my email & got the # for Advanced Tech, I'll be calling them.  I'm not sure I know how to get back to you after I close out?
tks again.
Old Labs

Nah, Gwalk doesn;t give up that easily - he's just away from his computer on an errand or something. Try his suggestion immediately above your last reply regarding blocking on the Glasswire Firewall tab - it should stop the bleeding for now.

Note my comments above are primarily aimed at GWalk - pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... on this one we're not in Kansas anymore.
Liz

I'm sorry, if I wasn't clear. For this specific issue of unidentified data usage, please stick with working with Gwalk et al. here in the community. Our advanced support will not be able to assist because we have already established that the root cause is not with HughesNet. No need to call Advanced Tech.

-Liz

cathyedfbf
New Poster

Lexi Hamilton Hughesnet Support?   she says the next step is to call them to further look into the situation?   I had closed email earlier & when you said I might be receiving an email, I opened it and saw this from Lexi.  She gave me a new case # & had STATUS:  closed  & to call Advanced Tech?     looks like it was sent about 2 hrs AFTER I started this posting stuff!   so I should hang in here?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Cathy,

Just hang in here.

Follow up on Old Labs suggestion to block internet access to Windows Explorer in the Firewall tab of Glasswire.

I have a couple of irons in the fire. I'll be back in a bit.

I will also post detailed instructions on making sure your Tokens are released for use.

cathyedfbf
New Poster

how to tell if it blocked correctly?   I noticed on the Firewall tab, it shows Firefall OFF ?   it shows it was blocked by Mcafee Personal firewall???
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Here is a method to handle Tokens.

You will not need to purchase any as the Hughes Mods have already taken case of that.

You will want to pick up on the part having to do with "using" or releasing them:

There are several ways to purchase tokens. This will illustrate one of them:

Open your "Dashboard" here:

http://my.hughesnet.com/

Before we can discuss Tokens, we have to understand the details of "Data Buckets"

You really have three sources of data from which to draw:

(times are for Gen4 monthly plans)

(all times are "local")

(click on pictures for larger images)

#1: Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am)

#2: Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am)

#3: Token Bytes (used when Anytime Bytes are depleted)

The above shows all three "data buckets"

One method of purchasing Tokens is to click the "Token Management" link as shown below:

That links brings up the following:

As shown below, that page has two parts:

The "purchase" area and the "available" area:

Clicking one of the "purchase" links will cause that denomination of Token to be charged to your bill. It is NOT however ready for use ... it is added to an "available" category.

After clicking "purchase" watch the screen closely. A very brief confirmation screen will appear:

After the confirmation, the number of "available" Tokens will increase by one:

At this point you have been charged for the Token, you "own" the Token, but it has NOT been added to your allowance yet.

In fact it is NEVER added to your Anytime or Bonus Bytes allowance categories. however after "USE" it is added to your "Token Bytes" data bucket (#3 in the first graphic)

In order to release a Token for use we have to click the "use" button:

After you click "use" two things will occur:

The number of "available" Tokens will decrease by one

The value of the Token will be added to your "Token Bucket":

After a short delay, refresh the meter display and the Token data should be visible in your "Token Bucket":

Have you blocked Windows Explorer in the Glasswire firewall tab yet ?