cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

"Malware link....when I click on the Free Download it goes to a screen showing BUY & doesn't give the option to change to free?"

Scroll down the page. The "live link" to the free version is at the bottom of the page:

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

it came back to a TRIAL it's running a scan now..what do I do with it?
Highlighted
New Poster

it shows a line that says "a scan has never been done on your computer"  with a button that shows FIX NOW.   Do I do anything?
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

let scan, it should only take a few minutes.

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

click to scan

Highlighted
New Poster

what did you mean by a "few" mins?   it's been running 15min?   it shows 50 detected objects?  I'm afraid to click on the "view identified threats"!!
can you access my PC or is that another dept?
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

It could take 20 to 70 minutes depending upon what it finds, what processor you have (I3, I5, I7 ....)

As to accessing your computer, no I can't.

I'm a fellow Hughes subscriber. I have been so for over 12 years so I know the Hughes systems well. I also build and repair computers.

I, and a number of others, volunteer time here in the Community in an effort to shorten the "learning curve" as it applies to getting the most from your Hughes connection.

As far as Hughes support ... They are your ISP. They are to supply internet service to the modems LAN port.

They are not set up to provide personal IT support for customer owned equipment.

They do have a "partnership" with a third party paid support company but I think you may wish to see the result of the scan first.

Also there is the option of using your computers factory image restore function that brings the computer back to "day-one" status.

That will defiantly kill all (there are a couple of exceptions) of the Bad Guys but then all of the Windows updates have to be re-installed as well as any software you have installed to date but you should have the discs for those.

Highlighted
New Poster

there were a bunch of 'unwanted files' ?  that came up, I clicked on remove.  it's telling me to reboot. so I'm going to do that & come back at ya.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Wow, that is a bunch of them!

Usually it is a matter of one or two. Hopefully with that many involved and considering the a core windows component was affected that the entire operating system isn't toast.

In that event you will have to recover from the factory image.

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Wow is right. Cathy, in the future you need to be very careful with any software you download and install especially when it doesn't come from the publishers site.