Hughesnet Community

32 bit Windows Status Meter download

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cascabelesksr

32 bit Windows Status Meter download

The recent Windows Status Meter download runs ONLY with 64 bit Windows.
I need a version that works with 32 bit Windows.  I'm confident I am not the only one.
Why remove the older 32 bit version?  Offer BOTH on the website !!!
20 REPLIES 20
j5p72c6

Good luck! (sarcastic) The recent "upgrade" removed my working 32-bit version and replaced it with the 64-bit version. Lousy customer consideration! They permanently blew a lot of customers out of the water with that one. Customer "service" (ha!) said that they have no intention of making the 32-bit version available. You are left with only the graphic available through your antenna--if and when it chooses to display. Possibly an underhanded method to get customers to buy extra tokens at outrageous prices.
GW
Advanced Tutor

I think links to older versions have been posted here. If not, I have several versions saved in my archives.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Here's one place to get the old meter. It is safe, I uploaded it.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I have an older version (6.2) of the setup file, which definitely runs on a 32 bit Windows system (I have it on my old Windows 7 desktop I just set up).  I tried putting it in a drop box once, but it wouldn't accept it as it said the file was out of date, or something to that effect.  If you know of an easy way of posting the file, I'd be happy to give it to you. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

cascabelesksr

Thanks BirdDog,
  Downloaded that, will give it a try.
  Appreciate the assist.
Diana
Liz

Hi cascabelesksr,

Welcome and thanks for posting and bringing this up. I'm sorry for this inconvenience, I'm glad BirdDog was able to help out with a link to an older version. I've also inquired about this with our devs, I'll post back if I have any news to share.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Thanks for the link, BirdDog!
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It's been 64-bit only since version 6.5...  6.2 is the last public 32-bit version.  

That aside, 64bit processors have been out for over 10 years now, if a user chooses to stay on an outdated system, that is their choice I guess?

That's certainly a 'customer oriented' response! "If you don't upgrade to our software, tough". There are still a lot of XP systems running whether you like it or not and apparently, you don't. Is this attitude shared by the rest of Hughes employees

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:
It's been 64-bit only since version 6.5...  6.2 is the last public 32-bit version.  

That aside, 64bit processors have been out for over 10 years now, if a user chooses to stay on an outdated system, that is their choice I guess?

?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Why does everyone assume that everyone that posts on here is a Hughesnet employee?

The simple truth is, XP is dead, it's EOL, it's not supported by M$, and most software has dropped XP support.  End. Of. Story.
Put all the "security" you want on a system, an antivirus isn't going to protect you.  It's not meant to protect you, it's meant to clean up a users screwup.  It's not going to patch a hole that XP has that could become an attack vector, it's not going to do anything for you.

As far as x64 vs x86 (64bit vs 32bit)... I can't fathom why anyone would have a machine that doesn't have a 64bit OS these days, pretty much all hardware for the last 10+ years support a 64bit OS.

However, Hughesnet does support 32bit operating systems again for the Usage Meter, you can view the changelog here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Products-and-Plans/Hughesnet-Usage-Meter-Version-History/td-p/799...

That does not mean they support XP, nor Vista...  Support for XP and Vista has been completely eliminated as of version 6.5.2.

Chrome Drops XP Support
Firefox Drops XP Support
Opera Drops XP Support

os shares.JPG

I don't know about anyone else but for me, it wasn't that I was adding new hardware or software and it wasn't an issue of 32 versus 64. It was (is) that I've been using XP for years now and I wasn't that excited about learning another system. Since this one did what I wanted it to do, until now, I really didn't want to change. Alas, I'm resigned to the fact that time stands still for no man and since I already have a 64 bit Win10 machine linked thru my router I'll have to give in and start moving files. I jus don't like Win10 except for it being intuitive about connecting itself to my network. I didn't wish to appear disagreeable but it's a side effect of working with uncooperative computer programs. My apologies. Now it's on to find out why the Usage meter won't work on the other machine.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Is it coming up with a token error?  If so, try deleting the file it lists in the error message then restart the computer.  I know I came accross as an *insert rear end name here*, and I am sorry for that.

Win10 isn't my favorite either, but so many programs I use have actually dropped even Win7 and Win8 support now that I have no choice...  In a few years Win7 wont be supported either sadly, which is my OS of choice.

knerkin2
Freshman

Excuse me? Of 6 machines in this office, 4 are 32 bit. We do support work for a driver manufacturer who (surprise, surprise) supports 32-bit clients. Shall I tell this client of ours that we refuse to work for them because they are 10 years outdated? I think I'll not do that. 

In addition, there is no warning that this meter release will work only on 64-bit machines. That's just plain rude.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

At least you aren't still supporting 16-bit so some progress.  : )

Agree they should have let customers know, no more 32-bit before trying to upgrade . Sure glad I uploaded the file awhile back and for entirely different reason. The other place that had it now has the newer version.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I actually know of a company that makes legacy based system boards that are upgraded to support more modern technology at the same time (newer processors and memory, but retains legacy things such as ISA slots and god knows what else from long ago).  Then again, you are talking about control boards that are in multi-million dollar machines that cost several thousand to replace because a company just wont replace such machines.

That aside, what will you do when OS devs stop 32bit support entirely?  You are (or will be eventually) in the same situation I was in awhile back.  Used Server 2k8, still heavily used to this day, but suddenly several applications stopped working (PLEX, Chrome, a few management interfaces) because those developers stopped supporting Vista, and using outdated software is a big no-no for me.  Only thing I could do was either drop the issue or deal with it and update to 2012R2 so that I could continue to work.

While this isn't perfect data collection since you would have to ask the manufactures directly and pray they are willing to share such data, Steam is a very good indicator of how many computers are running what OS and hardware, and they show a very small percentage of people actually using a 32bit OS these days.  Granted, this is only taken from about 140 million active users, an active user is someone that has logged on with in the last 90 days.

Chances are here soon(next release cycle? Win11??), there wont be a new 32bit OS, and by then, most all 32bit flavors will drop out of support.

If you can't drop 32bit for 64bit because of work, then not much else ya can do about it I guess?
Liz

Hi knerkin2,

I agree, we should at least have it posted under the requirements that this is only supported on 64-bit. I've sent that in my latest e-mail to the devs.

-Liz

Liz

Whew! Got word that we will release a 32-bit version of the Status Meter! The ETA on that has yet to be determined, but once I hear more details on that, I'll let you know. 

Thank you all for your feedback; we wouldn't have been able to make this happen without all of you voicing your concern in the community. 

-Liz

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

That should make some people happy. 
Liz

Hi folks,

The latest release of the Status Meter, for which you all should have been prompted to download sometime last week, actually is compatible for 32-bit users. So if you are on a 32-bit machine and download the latest Status Meter, the installer will work with your system. 

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention so we can address your concern. 

-Liz