Hughesnet Community

3rd Modem HT2000W consuming data- WIFI disabled - Sat & Power only connected and 3rd time verified

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lynee
New Poster

3rd Modem HT2000W consuming data- WIFI disabled - Sat & Power only connected and 3rd time verified

Ticket #112939798

I have the same issue since going to GEN5 in April. On 6-4-18 I disabled all wifi functionality on this modem. BTW this is the third modem model HT2000W and installed about 7-10 days prior to this day. Each modem had a data consumption test run with wifi diabled and nothing plugged into ethernet ports and each time modem is consuming data.

The ticket number above was generated by the TECH sent out on Wed 6-6-18. He was here in person, verified the modem was set up properly was not connected to anything but power and satellite. On route he did the ovm test which indicated that my modem was working properly, no packet loss but noted it rebooted 50 times during his watch. He called tech support and they added 1 GB data to my account. Then watched it for 10 minutes as it consumed 300MB. I am frustrated to say the least. I would like a way to prevent my data from being eaten up by unknown source and after a month of trying to work with Hughesnet regarding same I have zero resolution. I understand my ticket above was escalalated to engenering for same but no fix yet. I feel I have been a victim of hackers at this point in time and would hope Hughesnet would delve deeper to finding a resolution for this problem since it is a service they provide at a cost to me.

5 REPLIES 5
Liz

Hi Lynee,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! The case number helps, thanks, I was able to pull up your account and review those case notes. That does sound very curious. Let me escalate this to engineering for their input. I'll let you know as soon I hear back.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi Lynee, 

The engineer took a look at your system and was not able to determine any possible cause for that unexplained usage documented in your case notes. He would like to delve into this further for you, but we will need you to isolate your HughesNet modem again (have wifi disabled and nothing plugged into the LAN ports), and leave it powered on for 1-2 hours. The engineer needs to have a look at your system before you isolate the modem so we have before and after readings. So please give me a time for when you will to isolate your modem for a couple hours, and I will let the engineer know in advance. FYI, we're on Eastern time.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Just a thought, but is it possible that there's a problem with irregular power to the device (plug not in all the way, hooked up to surge protector, or some other low power situation) causing the modem to constantly reboot?

Then, on each reboot, eating a chunk of data during the association and s/w update phase?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Liz

Thanks Mark, good idea! We do have a handy dandy reboot history section in our diagnostics so we'll check that out too.

Liz

Good morning Lynee, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.