cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 hours of no service again

Re: 4 hours of no service again

They promised 99% up-time and as of yet it is closer to 85% mostly due to their maintenance or bad weather on their end.  I have tested speeds and at the best they are 50% of promised. At $80/ month I expect better, I have been out of town at times and no-one else used the computer and it was turned off and still the data had been used? Every few months they have to come to the house to repair something that the last person messed up.
Associate Professor

Hughesnet does not promise listed speeds, it advertises and promises speeds of UPTO 5, 10 or 15Mbps down depending on service plan.

Hughesnet also does not promise 99% uptime or greater in any form.

You may want to post a recent case number down below where Chris has replied, or the serial number from the back of your modem.  Please, do not post your SAN/DSS.
Assistant Professor

Desmond,
I am happy with my service but time for you to read the contract, it really doesn't promise much of anything. Pretty much you will pay your bill, they will attempt to provide service to the best of their ability. If you have a problem that can't be solved, your only legal recourse is arbitration.
That is what it boils down to, just a fact.
This site is still the best place to get problems fixed if you take the time to work with the official reps and do what they ask and need from you.
If you have problems with the quality of installers/repairmen that have made visits they can help resolve that also.

For the last 20 or so calls there have been no case numbers to cite. I will need to disconnect the modem to get a number and I am not doing that now because I am going to sleep. I am passed tired of losing my data allowance while I am not even on the computer, and I have 1 computer directly hooked to the modem, no WIFI, and it still gets used.  serial B3 0010553282 A7
Alum

Hi Desmond,

Thank you for posting with your serial number I was able to pull up your account. I've run diagnostics on your site and see nothing that sticks out. Your service seems to be up and running although you currently have your LAN cable disconnected. I do see that you have not run speed tests since 2014, so I'm going to recommend running a few so that we can get a better understanding of your overall system performance. 

Also, lets isolate your HughesNet modem to rule it out as a possible source of data usage. Please follow the instructions in this diagram:

Please take care in cropping out your SAN when posting your screenshots.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/standard def: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member:https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Finally, if you would like more control of your network, you should take a look into a program called Glasswire. Here's a link to its features https://www.glasswire.com/features/. When downloaded on your device it will monitor and track all activity on the machine it is installed too. Many of our community members have found it useful and we've tested it out in our lab and like what it does too. I hope all this helps you. 

Thanks,

Chris