5 gig in 2 days we weren’t even home!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Breninithaca
Sophomore

5 gig in 2 days we weren’t even home!

Our data rolled over on 4/27. We have been away on spring break for the past week. Laptop and mobile devices went with us. Which left only the desktop which was completely unplugged in case of a power outage and the Xbox which was powered off. We just got home this morning and my data meter shows we’ve already used 5 of our 10 gig for the month. How is that possible when we weren’t even home to use it?
Our nearest neighbor is half a mile away so they can’t be accessing it. Not when the service dies about 50 feet from the router.
4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Breninithaca

Some things that are off may not really be off, but in standby, and still able to connect and use data.  

If you haven't unplugged the modem since it rolled over and the data was used, you should be able to see what is/was connected here...

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info

Though you won't be able to see how much data was used on the linked page you will still be able to see what was connected, which may help point you in the direction of what used the data.  

I show 8 devices as currently disconnected and 2 as connected. One is my iPad and one is an unknown MAC address. Of the disconnected devices one IS my neighbor’s cell phone it must have connected while she was visiting last week. The Xbox, our 3 cell phones, my desktop and laptop. But there are two devices on there I don’t recognize. One is a MAC address and the other is just listed as an unknown device. We don’t have any fancy computerized appliances and the WiFi on my printer is dead so I can’t figure out what these last 2 are. Could one of them be my Dish Network Box? Or my home RJ11 wired phone which is also through HughesNet?

And how can all these things be connecting without the router password being put in?
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Breninithacawrote:
And how can all these things be connecting without the router password being put in?

The only way a device can be connected is by manually entering the information (the password) or using the WPS push button method.  Some devices, after having been previously connected, will re-connect at will.  You can stop devices from re-connecting at will by forcing them to "forget" the connection, by un-checking "connect automatically" on the device's connection (mostly computers), or by changing the WiFi password.  Of course, by doing the last thing you'll have to enter the new password into any device you want to connect.