50 gigs runs out in 8 days

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WarpedSilver
New Poster

50 gigs runs out in 8 days

1st month with 50 gigs of data. We used internet like crazy and ran out 2 days before new month. 2nd month we used much less internet and ran out in 8 days. How is that possible?
13 REPLIES 13
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Because for the first twenty days of your service your monthly allowance reset daily, then changed to standard monthly resets.  You need to download the Hughesnet Status Meter to remain cognizant of your usage. 

The Status Meter is at the link below...

http://my.hughesnet.com/

GabeU

To add further, they do the twenty day daily resets to allow people new to the service to update and/or upgrade their computers and download other programs they would like or need in a way that doesn't impact their monthly allowance.  It's done as a courtesy. 

With your first month, after the resets, you ran out in eight days, just like it happened with your second month.  If you have Windows 10 computers, there are things that need to be adjusted to be amenable to a capped service, so that they don't just continue to burn through data.  Onedrive (the cloud), syncing, updates to other computers.  Plus, changing Facebooks to NOT play vids automatically will help. 

This is a part of one of my responses to a recent post.  It may help....

If you have Windows 10 on the computers, you will want to make sure that they aren't using the cloud (OneDrive) and aren't syncing.  To turn syncing off go to settings,  accounts, then "sync your settings."  The top option on that page should be to turn your sync settings on or off.  Turn it off.  As for the cloud (OneDrive), it may be on in your system tray.  Right click it and go into the settings (I forget exactly what it says) and change it so it doesn't start on startup.  I can't remember if there's anything else to change on it, but check anyway.  Then exit out of it to turn it off for that time.  It won't start again when your computer starts next time.  The last thing with regard to the cloud is to go into settings, system, then storage.  Make sure all of the save locations are somewhere on your computer, whether "This PC" or your C drive.  Just make sure none of them say anything about the cloud.

Also, go into settings, then Update & Security.  Click on Advanced Options, then Choose how updates are delivered.  Turn off "updates from more than one place."  That's another thing that will eat up some bandwidth.      

Then make sure Facebook isn't set to play videos automatically. 

Those few things alone will probably save you a lot of bandwidth. 

This may or may not apply to you.  If it does, it should help with saving some data.  Those automatic, freely downloading/uploading things can use a LOT of data needlessly. 

Pawnee County

One very important do not view any HD video set for no more than 480p 360p is preferred. 
Liz

Hi WarpedSilver,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! GabeU and Alan have some great info for you. If you need additional assistance, please let us know.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Jasmine Marrero

In any case it's not a better option than local cable. Unlimited data is much easier, faster, cost effective and reliable! Now being stuck in the contract and having to limit 5 kids after being told that they would be fine, is way too much of a head ache! Even metro pcs gives unlimited data for $60 on cell service.
GabeU

Tis why no one chooses Hughesnet if there is an "unlimited" service available.  Hughesnet is an ISP of last resort, for people that have no other option.  It's comparing apples to oranges.  Two entirely different systems.   

Unlimited plans with satellite internet are not an option due to the infrastructure involved. 

Jasmine Marrero

Yes but the reps mislead you. They don't advise you to shut down syncing and such and they tell you, oh yeah you'll be fine with the 60 gig plan in a house of 6 (5 kids), using Netflix and gaming. It's all about sales. And now you're stuck. Not that there is another another option but if it isn't enough and not doing the job why keep paying?
GabeU

It's not Hughesnet's job to advise you on how to use your computer, nor what settings to use.  It's the consumer's job to decide what amount of data will be needed for his/her purposes. 

But... 

If you feel you were misled by the sales rep, start a new post explaining so, and post the serial number located on the bottom of your modem.  DO NOT post your SAN.  Just the serial number from the modem.  The reps can locate your account from the serial number, pull your sales call, and listen to what was said.  They can then determine what to do from there. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

MetroPCS doesn't have unlimited...  After 25GB, they put you into their "Deprioritized" queue for traffic.

Maybe it would benefit to start reading fine print instead?
https://www.metropcs.com/terms-conditions/network-disclosure.html

Cable providers also, for the most part, have caps... It's not an all you can eat buffet anymore, and probably never will be again.  On the bright side, at least you don't pay per minute for usage like we did in the mid 90's with dial up?
GabeU

They pretty much all have the "after using XGBs, your service may be slowed" small writing.  I found it interesting that they started doing it with DSL, too, though I understand the reasoning behind it.  It won't surprise me if cable starts doing it, but it WILL surprise me if fiber does. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

GabeU

That's a lot of Hill Street Blues in HD.  LMAO!