cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 GB + Gone in First Week of Data Cycle . . . Why the Drastic Change After 3 yrs of Service???

8 GB + Gone in First Week of Data Cycle . . . Why the Drastic Change After 3 yrs of Service???

I have had Hughesnet since 2013.  During that time there have been times when I have gone over my data limit but only 1 or 2 gb.  Last month I ran out of data a few days into my cycle.  Nothing has changed.  We do not do any streaming or gaming or things that eat up data quickly.  We stick to the basics and sometimes go a couple of days without even getting online.  After running out of data I had to buy tokens almost every other day just to be able to use the internet. How could we suddenly go thru over 30 GB in a month when we rarely reached 10 GB in month.  So I called HN they gave me no explanation.  The upgraded my package and gave me 4 gb free and restarted my data at 100% 4 days before my cycle restarted.  Going into this month, I am 8 days into my cycle and have already gone thru over 8 gb of data.  How does this happen?  Can someone please explain to me how we could possibly use this much data???  
12 REPLIES 12
Freshman

Re: 8 GB + Gone in First Week of Data Cycle . . . Why the Drastic Change After 3 yrs of Service???

I have also been having data use issues???

Junior

Re: 8 GB + Gone in First Week of Data Cycle . . . Why the Drastic Change After 3 yrs of Service???

Hi dk.robbins68,
Like Bill asked, what OS?
Also, what devices and how many?
What kind of router and is it protected?
Have you made any changes or gotten any new hardware?
Have you done any troubleshooting of your own?

Information is KEY for us to help you. You have to be the hands and eyes.

Most of the time it is the customer's set-up or equipment at fault but not in all cases.
First the problem must be tracked down.
I would begin by connecting one (1) and only 1 computer directly to the modem and watching it for a day or two.
If the problem does not stop then I would make a note of the data status and disconnect the computer for 24 hours. After 24 hours connect the computer again and check the data status.
If during the 24hr. disconnected period you lose data then the problem is with the modem or the HN network and you need to call customer service.
If during the 24hr disconnected period you do not lose data then the problem is with your computer.
There are many additional steps depending upon how many devices are on your network but like I said, this is where I would start.
Based on your history and past usage you clearly have a problem.

Don  Smiley Happy

We have a laptop using Windows 8 OS and 2 smartphones, but 1 phone is rarely uses wifi.  We use a Linsky router it is password protected.  I have done a little troubleshooting.  I am malware protected.  I did put a usage meter on my laptop different from HN's to see if it showed a difference.  Did I leave out anything?
Junior

Are you aware that Android smartphones are subject to viruses?
iPhone just did an IOS update.
idk what smartphones that you are using.
Are both the router's log on and log in passwords secure?
Do you have any children in the mix? (Remember the holidays were just here)
Bill would be more knowledgeable of Microsoft issues, i.e. when Windows updates.
All that you can tell us will help.
Junior

Do you have a Garmin, in your car and is it near the house?

We do use Android phones and I am aware that they are subject to viruses.  We have those virus protected.  We only have 1 router and it is password protected.  Each devise has the password saved on it so that it can automatically connect when in use.  However, with our phones we keep the wifi off so updates don't go on in backround.  Also I forgot, my Mothers laptop uses Windows 7.  She's 76 yrs old and is only online maybe an hour a day if that. Yes I do have a 17 yr old son that does not use social media at all.  He only uses his phone online about an hour in the evenings when he is home which is only about 4 out of 7 days of the week. Also we have our windows updates off. 

None of our vehicles have a Garmin.
Junior

Since the amount of data that you're using has increased so significantly and you have history since 2013, like I said earlier, the problem has to be tracked down.
Another way to start would be to take note of the data level and disconnect everything for 12 - 24hrs and then check whether you had any loss or not.
Something you might try in the interim, if you're not going to test right away would be to re-boot both your router and terminal.
According to your OP, you are losing/using about 1GB/day so by tomorrow morning (after restarting your HW) you will or will not have 500KB less.

Hi dk.robbins68

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community. I see based on some history here there was a lot of requests for video clips from a couple of the same websites. I assume you or your mother would not be using it - have you consulted with your son on his browsing habits? I look forward to your response.

Thanks
Amanda