cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A painful experience from initial sales call to a 25 minute call to customer service today that led nowhere.

A painful experience from initial sales call to a 25 minute call to customer service today that led nowhere.

We just moved to a new home and hughes net was our option for interent. We made a call after seeing advertisement after advertisement about blazing speed on television. The salesman was super. Unfortunately the information he provided was found, at billing, to truly be "selling" a product that wasn't delivered. We chose to get the 10 MB plan and since we have no option for home phone to go with the voice plan. We were told the phone would be on their new promotion plan of $10 a month for six months.
Our first bill we were charged $59.90 for the first month with a $10 month credit. Apparently the salemsan was confused. My husband called 3 times in order to correct the problem and language barriers continued to plague the issue. He has very little patience and told them to cancel it all, of course we know that isn't possible because of the "contract", but through many operators we managed to cancel. The reps had a very poor attitude and each rep had a different explantion for the charge and one actually hung up on him. A month later after convincing my husband we needed the phone, even though the latency in the conversation bothered me, he called to re-establish the connection. Frustrated that they couldn't send a software update to our ATA box to re-establish the service he reluctantly agreed to let them send us a box. That was on a Wednesday, the rep informed us if we didn't have the box by Friday it would be here by Tuesday. Tuesday came and went with no box. We called to inquire. Of course after answering the same questions with two different reps, (why they don't transfer names and account information between them I will never know) they told me that their system had been down for days and the order had never shipped. I had my suspicions about this order from the get go because we never received an email noting the order, shipping of the order or the delay becaue their system was down....Informing us of this problem as soon as it occured might have avoided our frustration. the rep said the order would definitely ship that day. The order shipping Wednesday of this week and we did receive it on Friday. I attempted to install the box with no issues until trying to activate and I kept getting an error. I called the customer service number...huge mistake. Again, language barriers plagued the call. I went through at least two reps who could not figure out the error. Several attempts to activate failed. I was put on hold numerous times so the rep could confer with advanced technical support.....why don't they let me speack to advanced support? Eventually the rep gave up and told me that their advanced support engineers would call me within two days. I spent 45 minutes on the phone that night trying to resolve the issue.
This morning a call came into my cell phone which I missed because I have poor cell service at my home hence the need for the home phone. A voicemail finally popped through stating it was their advanced support line and that we should call them back and if we didn't they would schedule us for a return call. I called and again went through two reps,answering questions the same account questions overa and over again. The second rep finally asked me to verify myself again and placed me on hold for 12 minutes in order to look up my account...doesn't the call verify who I am when the automation says is this the number associated with your account??? After another 20 minutes she returned to say that their engineers were trying to figure out the problem and that is why they called. Well of course that is what they told me on Friday so why did they call today unless they had a solution??? Through broken English she was able to finally convey to me that the ATA box they sent to me had a MAC address that wasn't associated with my account so they coudlnt' activate and that their engineers were working on a solution. Apparently they shipped me an ATA box that had been sent to another customer and returned and then sent on to me without ever verifying that this would work with my system. She told me that they hoped to have a solution and would call me within two days. Another 40 minutes of time I will never get back.Here I am, 14 days into trying to establish a new voice system with no clear indication of when I might. No apologies, no effort to try to recitfy their incompetence, and I am still without a phone.
All of this on top of the fact that my speed is not blazing in regard to the internet. I monitored my usage closely the first month and was pleasantly suprised at our lack of data drain only to find out that was a farse when into our second month our data was gone by week 2. We were never told that your data isn't monitored the first month. During the week, I am the only person in my house with a phone and a tablet and I leave my home with my phone and tablet every day at 6:30 am and don't return until after 5 pm every day. (My husband works out of town Monday through Friday)I do most of my email/news check for a very short period of time every evening. We are 5 days into our month now and have used 20% of our data....
Yes, I am able to check email fairly easily but there is no blazing speed when it comes to reading the news , trying to order a present or even scroll through an article. I realize I am not going to have the speed I had at our previous home with DSL but I didn't expect to revert to dial up of 1992.
Honesty in advertising is something that all companies are expected to abide by but I don't see any evidence of that in yours. After a great deal of research your negative feed back far outways your positive and I don't know how you can not have a horrible BBB rating. I am typcially a very patient person when it comes to letting companies have a little time to satisfy a customer but I am losing patience and refuse to let this company get the bettter of me. All I want is what I was promised and what your tv adverstisements promise. Can we do that???
13 REPLIES 13
WJA

Re: A painful experience from initial sales call to a 25 minute call to customer service today that led nowhere.

You've come to the right place. The Official Reps here will take care of you and see that all your problems are solved.

As for the $59.90 bill with the $10 credit. That would be a bill for both the internet and the phone and it would be correct.
Freshman

Re: A painful experience from initial sales call to a 25 minute call to customer service today that led nowhere.

Official reps will be here on Monday. In the meantime browse the forum a bit for some help with troubleshooting and data management tips.

You are not the only one having these problems and being lied to...we were told NO CONTRACT, and when we needed to end our service, SUDDENLY theres a two year contract.  Also we were charged too much, never could get that straightened out...and soon much more.  HughesNet is horrible!!  Get out as soon as you can!
Freshman

Awesome, looks like you just joined the forum. The way to get help with your issue is to post your specific issues as a request for help in the billing section of forum. A CSR can review your case including the sales call to see what was promised. You will need to provide your modem serial number. I have seen good results from this process. Good luck.

Actually $59.90 was just the voice. I looked at the itemized bill. Our total bill was $169.90

jmessenger I look forward to seeing how the reps work this out for you.  They are very nice and helpful here.  They should be around sometime today.  Hope all works out well for you.

I look forward to seeing how they work this out for me as well.......alas....it has been two days with no acknowledgement that I have posted.
Alum

Hi jmessenger,

Welcome to the community! I was able to pull up your account and see that our advanced tech support has been trying to reach you. The MAC address of your ATA box has been fixed to reflect correctly in our system so the activation process should work normally this time. They just called you at 9017 and left a voicemail. Then called a number ending in 7793 and spoke to James who informed them to call the 9017. However like I said you should be good to go with activating your VoIP.

As for speeds. Have you run any tests from http://www.myhughesnet.com? If not, please run some for us to evaluate. Make sure you have one computer directly connected to the HughesNet modem when doing so. Also, what operating system do you use? We hope to hear back from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris

wow I too live in the woods I had exede internet service great. They could not provide service their satellite was full, we moved So HughesNet first I was told 10mb sames as exede for 49.99 plus 9.99 for 59.99 although they offer free installation I paid 11.44 for a credit check that would be applied as credit then charged 168.98 wh  when I asked the CSR stated 99.00 was a activation fee, and the balance includes one month service and  your next bill will credit the balances. They installed 10/08/15 we hardly use it, 2 days later we were out of town for 12 days. We got back 10/21/15 for 5 days it was okay. We started getting pop ups for payments. To make a long story short I spend a lot of time w/CSR who were clueless. I called to cancel 11/06, did a chat but lost the net. My husband emailed them we only had til 11/08 to cancel by law. Although I said I want to cancel my service now if these issues aren't resolved. That to me was enough said. Our new month we owe 71.11 no credits, and we used all 10mb up and we could buy tokens til 12/08. You just fine away to get out by 01/15/16 before 30 days ffare up. But on 11/11/15 I finally got a Stuipvisor and was told on and off she wouldn't be quite pacific if I was being released from my contract, she kept saying in 7 to 10 days I would receive a ups box to return equip,and if I didn't return it in 45 days I would be charged 400. Finally I didn't care I signed nothing received no emails. She had all my info on calls, they had my emal address wrong and sent me to some link that would have my contract. No it's just laws and lawyer stuff. So I call back about ups box on 12/01 it's been 21 days, I told the CSR my problems, she talk me into keeping service and would waive the 400 I was being charged for leaving my contract early. She gave me the number to Sales. I'll finish the story later Dee