Hughesnet Community

A question for the community. Why is it that you have Hughesnet voice service? This is just to satisfy my own curiosity.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

A question for the community. Why is it that you have Hughesnet voice service? This is just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, why is it that you have Hughesnet voice service?  Is landline phone service not available to your home?  Is it too expensive in comparison (it's getting up there, that's for sure)?  No cell service?  For something different? 

Again, this is just out of curiosity, not to judge anyone or the service or anything like that.  I'm just curious.

Also, this isn't a thread asking about how good or not good the service is, nor about a problem you may be having with it.  This is just asking why someone has it.   

5 REPLIES 5
Knerkin Akin

Twenty years ago, when we first moved in here, we paid roughly $26/month for a residence wire line, no extras.  My last bill in January was for $55, no extras. Same service. We have no cell service. HN Voice is very reliable, works during power outages because of our generator. Wire line service was with Verizon. Need I stress that HN doesn't go on strike?
GabeU

Nope.  No strike, very true.  Verizon here, too.  My bill is usually about $80 per month, with only call waiting as an extra.  I don't know if it's NY taxes ( I think you mentioned you lived in Upstate NY, too) or what, but it's ridiculous.  When I first moved in in 2004, my bill was in the mid $50 range. 

Knerkin Akin

Oh, yes, and you get nickle and dimed to death if you have no frills service. Pay for each local call. Pay per minute for distance calls. Pay for directory service.  I agree, $80 is very steep. 
Amanda

Obviously we can't answer this one, but the general consensus is why not move my old landline provider over to HughesNet to put it all on one bill or people don't have another phone provider in the area.

-Amanda 
GabeU

I can see the one bill thing appealing to people.  I personally don't have a problem with separate bills, but that's just me.