A strange case.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchMDD
Freshman

A strange case.

Hello, I'm new to this satellite internet thing but from what I have read this system works well for email, web browsing and even some video viewing. First, I have a primary internet service provider (cable) and a secondary backup service (Hughes Net). I'm a professor and I need to give classes, so I got Hughes Net as a backup internet for when my primary fails. My electricity goes out everyday at random intervals and so does the internet. When they installed Hughes Net (June 2020) I noticed that I could see videos, and web pages on my phone, but I can't access them via my PC. Even thought it says I'm connected, there is no internet service. I have called, technicians have come and gone and i still don't have internet access on my PC. List of things I have tried: Connect another PC Use WiFi on my PC Use 4 different LAN Cables, (Cat5E, Cat6, Cat7 and Cat8) Use different LAN ports Flush DNS Clear Histories Clear Caches Use Google Chrome Use Microsoft Edge Use Opera Use Firefox Change DNS servers Change IPV4 and IPV6 addresses/servers No Proxy No VPN No Firewall No Antivirus Rebooting modem Rebooting PC Reinstalling Terminal Reconnecting cables on the modem and the antenna on the roof Manually resetting to factory settings Web Acceleration Off I honestly don't remember what else. I can only access the internet with 1 of my 2 phones. Only 1 device has sporadic access, my other phone and PC don't. When I do have access to internet on my 1 phone i do a speed test and the max I have seen is 6mbps and 0.2mbs of upload. Sometime there is no upload speeds. I can't provide you with a Test my.net record because I can't access it on my PC. I don't have trees, I live in the sunny Caribbean, the technicians say I have one of the best signals, but... I have no internet. I have tried to use this service since June, and since this Monday there is no internet service on my 1 phone. I asked for a new modem... it is the only thing I haven't changed. Any other suggestions? I have tried, really tried to make this service work, and I do want it to work.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Good morning ArchMDD,

Thank you for this update. We're working on expediting a tech visit to address the sparking. In the meantime, please unplug the modem's power cable from its power brick to be safe.

I'll keep you updated if I have any other news on this dispatch.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

Hello, as a last post I'd like to share what we found.  I resetted my entire Network on both my PC and phones.  I deleted Crossfire DNS from both the IPV4 and 6.  I left both of the settings to be decided by provider.  Configuring the router of my primary internet service I chose Crossfire DNS.  Configuring Hughes Net router for Googles DNS.  The DNS are on the routers, not on my PC settings.  This solved the problem.  Thanks! I really, really wanted this service to work. I'm glad.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Liz

Hi ArchMDD,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thank you for reaching out to us. I'd like to look into this, please private message me your SAN (account number) or the associated phone number.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks for answering. I will. I'm using my other internet. I don't have Hughes Net internet since Monday.

Good morning ArchMDD,

Thank you for messaging me the requested info. I ran diagnostics on your site and I see that it is online. Currently I see there's a Samsung and a Xiaomi device connected.

Are you able to browse the internet on the Samsung? It only has a fair signal strength so you might want to test it while closer to the modem, or switching it to the 2.4 GHz network which has a larger range.

-Liz

That is interesting, the Xiaomi is not responding to the network. Yes, I can browse the internet and YouTube on the Samsung. However, the wireless icon says "Internet may not be available. "

My other Samsung phone says the same no internet. When I connect the PC i can browse 1 to 2 pages before the connection times out and then I can't access anything.

A technician will come on Sept 22, but I'd like to do everything I can to fix this up. When I run the Speed test on that one phone I got 11mbps today, but no upload.

I can't tell what's going on exactly with both devices, I just see that both are connected, and again the HughesNet equipment is working normally; no red flags from my end. 

When you directly connect a PC to the HughesNet modem, and you find that you can't browse or think you don't have internet, please check the modem's status page by entering www.systemcontrolcenter.com in your browser. 

This site lives in the modem, so no internet connectivity is needed; this provides a state code that tells us what the modem is currently doing. 

To find the state code, click the system status light in the top left and the state code will be on the next page, it may look like 0.0.0. (0.0.0 indicates that all is working normally).

-Liz

Yes, it does say 0.0.0(fully operational). This is too strange... I don't know what else is wrong. Guess I will wait till the technician comes, and see the problem. I can't upload stuff from my only cellphone. Thanks anyways for trying. If this doesn't pan out I may have to look else where. So sad, I really wanted this backup system.

Don't know if this is normal, but the LNB connection ( the little pointy thing on the dish) is giving off a lot of sparks.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

That can't be normal.

ArchMDD wrote:
Don't know if this is normal, but the LNB connection ( the little pointy thing on the dish) is giving off a lot of sparks.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ArchMDD wrote:

In that case I would leave the modem unplugged until instructed otherwise.  

The reps here should be back on Tuesday.

Good morning ArchMDD,

Thank you for this update. We're working on expediting a tech visit to address the sparking. In the meantime, please unplug the modem's power cable from its power brick to be safe.

I'll keep you updated if I have any other news on this dispatch.

-Liz

Alright. I rechecked the connections on the roof this weekend, they seemed fine and dry. Even the ground. A technician will come today. Thanks very much, hope I can be a part of this great system.

That's good to hear, thank you!

-Liz

Hello, as a last post I'd like to share what we found.  I resetted my entire Network on both my PC and phones.  I deleted Crossfire DNS from both the IPV4 and 6.  I left both of the settings to be decided by provider.  Configuring the router of my primary internet service I chose Crossfire DNS.  Configuring Hughes Net router for Googles DNS.  The DNS are on the routers, not on my PC settings.  This solved the problem.  Thanks! I really, really wanted this service to work. I'm glad.

Awesome update, ArchMDD! Thank you for sharing how you resolved your concern! Glad you've got it working now!

-Liz