I'm a recent customer of HughesNet since May of 2017 in Western Oregon. The sales rep I worked with proudly toted the new Gen 5 service which had just released and I signed up. Short of 4g coverage from my cell phone provider, HughesNet is my only option at present for Internet. It's important because both my partner and I are in IT and she works from home full time, as do I on occasion.
I opened my first case with HughesNet in September after noticing poor speed since August or earlier. My most recent (of I think 4 now?) case was opened within the last couple weeks, case# 108459586. Numerous Testmy.Net speed results can likely be found in that case and in the several other closed cases in my account which were never resolved. I never receive callbacks from the advanced team within any semblance of the expectations set, or more often, at all. Most of the time, I call to follow up on my own cases after weeklong radio silence and am told they have been closed with notes in the cases indicating information was communicated to me which never was. On the last two call-ins to HughesNet, I requested to formally escalate to a manager and would prefer written communication so I had both a point of contact and some accountability. I was denied that however and told that email communications were against policy due to security risks which surprises me given my 8-year background in IT security.
For at least 4 months, I've been experiencing DL speeds more often than not less than 1mbps. Most of the time I'm not offended if I can get between 1 and 3mbps and on rare occasion, I'm blessed with 8 to 12mbps but it's short-lived. I'm told all diagnostics show fine but there is a problem with the gateway and the engineers are working on it. This has been going on for months. I pay for the gen 5 service, have an HT2000W Modem. It's connected via LAN to a Windows Laptop which is usually the only device using the internet. I had a May '17 "gen 5" installation of my dish which I would have expected to be pointing at Jupiter 2. Seemingly not though because my command center indicates I am on Beam 10 of Gateway 9, centered over Missoula MT and beamed from the Jupiter 1 Sat.
I'm not a telecommunications expert but it seems that being on the fringe of a beam pointed 2 states over from their legacy bird with advertised speeds of up to 10MBPS could have something to do with why I'm not getting remotely close to advertised gen 5, Jupiter 2 speeds of up to 25mbps and my Internet is at an all-time low while my frustration is at an all-time high. I never thought I'd say this but I miss Comcast. I would really like this long-standing issue resolved as it's been going on almost half the year now.
Unfortunately, the area where you live cannot connect to the ES19, so the ES17 is utilized. With that said, though, the ES17 is capable of providing Gen5 service. Also, Western Oregon is well within beam 10's coverage area. The gateway for beam 10 is in Missoula, MT. The beam itself covers Western Oregon.
Being that you indicated that you have run numerous testmy.net speed tests, you should post your testmy.net Results URL so that the reps/engineers who provide support for those that utilize this avenue of help can view your speed test results.
Thank you for your reply, GabeU. I appreciate the clarification about the beam coverage area and my research hadn't turned up that ES17 could support Gen5 service so that is somewhat reassuring.
I've probably run hundreds of tests on TestMy.net for personal awareness but have always just read the results to the tier 1 and tier4 support reps who I have spoken to regarding my cases when they've asked for them and never actually created an account to track it. Bad on me. I've created an account now so that I can more formally document the results I've seen. I'll gather some Data and report in.
Update to the case# I referenced. After calling in last night because I hadn't heard from anyone in 5 days, and learning that my case had been closed without my knowledge on the last date I called in to check on the case because i hadn't heard from anyone in 5 days, I requested a formal escalation and a call back from a supervisor today. I was assured I would receive one. I requested the name of the supervisor so that I could expect the call and was provided the name. I didn't receive the call today. Additionally disappointment.
I'm told from my partner who was online all day today that for the first time in Months, she was getting around 15mbps regularly. My first 2 tests tonight have been around 5 and 8. Certainly not what we've become accustomed to so I'll continue to monitor and with any luck, will be able to post that my initial thread was premature (though not unwarranted) and that the issue has been resolved by the engineering team.
Make sure that when you are testing your download speed you use the manual 25MB test size, and if you test your upload speed, as well, make sure to use the manual 4MB test size. These are the sizes the engineers will need the tests to be run with.
Also, make sure that you run them with a LAN cable connected device. Not that this is necessarily what's going on, but the WiFi can add another aspect of speed issues, so to eliminate that possibility they ask that the tests be run while directly connected with said LAN cable.
As for the call back, that's unfortunate. They should have called you.