ASUS router RT-AC68U

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yorkytime1
New Poster

ASUS router RT-AC68U

I just purchased this router.  Got it up and running yesterday.  Thank goodness it was pretty easy even for a dummy like me.  But I do not know how use any of the bonus features of this router.  I can see all my devices when connected....that is great.  And I found a traffic analyzer was included.  Beyond that I am pretty clueless.  Thank goodness it seems to work well without any input from me.  LOL  I am wondering do I need to install any software to expand the abilities of this router?
81 REPLIES 81
yorkytime1
New Poster

Yes I know how bad cloud can be on data use.  But I have "unlimited data" between 2 am and 7am.  Setting the upload to only be active during those hours is no problem for me.  I do have oodles of large USB drives and gosh oodles of backup hard drives.  I even keep a master copy in a fire proof save.  LOL  Still paranoid of losing thousands of purchased embroidery files and archived photos/documents.  Never hurts to have yet one more backup....which is free from threat of hurricanes, tornadoes, and fires.  ROFL  Once data is uploaded it most probably will not come down again unless my "earthly" backups fail completely. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Opps, I forgot you were on a legacy plan !

Could you post a screenshot of the area of the GUI that shows the "data used per device" ?
yorkytime1
New Poster

Give me a few minutes Gwalk.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

yorkytime, your devices also have to be ac 5Ghz capable to use that band. Most older devices are not dual-band, most newer ones are. I love the 5 GHz ban for in-house streaming, seems much better to me anyway. Plus the dual-ban lets me pretty much have the wife on the 2.4 band and I use mostly the 5 band.
yorkytime1
New Poster

okay here is the device list...with all current active devices.  One laptop, two cameras, two printers and a repeater. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Thanks, thats pretty fancy !.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, I have that beat.  🙂

yorkytime1
New Poster

This is two images of ONE page.  Shows all client traffic.  Below is device list with MB download per device.  Below can see each device by selecting the name...then you see all webpages accessed for that single device.  I know there are different settings but I have not investigated those yet. 

yorkytime1
New Poster

BirdDog is this with the merlin update?
yorkytime1
New Poster

BirdDog....that is way way too many devices for me to monitor.  Remember I have a daily limit!  Doubt I wil ever have a smart TV or more than one smartphone.  LOL
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yes, but I'm on a different model and pages may be different due to that also.
yorkytime1
New Poster

BirdDog.....I'm pretty happy with the firmware that came installed in my ASUS router.  Does all that I wanted it to do.  
Phyllis McClain

Bird Dog, am I seeing right and your TV is working through router? You have streaming TV?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

yorkytime and Phyllis, daily limit does negate most all streaming from places like Netflix even at low definition. I do like my SmartTV for Netflix and don't leave it connected when not doing streaming. Most newer TVs are just as cheap Smart as those that aren't. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Phyllis, yes but we only do streaming at low definition and don't go crazy with it. Would be a nightmare with kids though.
yorkytime1
New Poster

BirdDog,  I get my NetFlix through the mail on CD's.  Serves us well for the few movies we want to watch.  <G>
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Thats net.
My old Netgear is messing up from time to time. Benn threating to replace it. If fact I had a couple of Asus models in hand in Best Buy today but they didn't have the one I wanted in store.

In the top one above you have "all clients" selected. Can you pull up individual devices ?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Got tired of waiting for DVD's, now we can just choose whatever we're in the mood for on the weekends. Whatever works for folks. Then again with daily allowance not really an option for you anyway.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

On the other hand having a lot of DVD's (over 2000 here) AND being old means that if you re-run one its like seeing it for the first time. 🙂
yorkytime1
New Poster

Yes here is my main laptop....again two images for one single page.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I guess I could afford to stream a little
Usage meter courtesy of jezra.