ASUS router RT-AC68U

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yorkytime1
New Poster

ASUS router RT-AC68U

I just purchased this router.  Got it up and running yesterday.  Thank goodness it was pretty easy even for a dummy like me.  But I do not know how use any of the bonus features of this router.  I can see all my devices when connected....that is great.  And I found a traffic analyzer was included.  Beyond that I am pretty clueless.  Thank goodness it seems to work well without any input from me.  LOL  I am wondering do I need to install any software to expand the abilities of this router?
81 REPLIES 81
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Then you would lose your Miser badge. 🙂
yorkytime1
New Poster

Absolutely Gwalk.....happens here all the time.  Did I say we are OLD.  LOL

that if you re-run one its like seeing it for the first time. 🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"Then you would lose your Miser badge. :)"

Yes I know. Gabe has been giving me a run for my money lately.
I feel the pressure.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I like that.
All I need do is get one of the Asus models with the Traffic Analyzer feature and I would have everything I would ever want without the need to check the "Merlin List".
I had a couple of them in my hands today but lacked the time for study.
yorkytime1
New Poster

I"m pretty pleased with this router right out of the box.  
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I posted my all devices list before instead of the active list. Heck, these routers have so much info I still get confused where things are at even though had mine for quite awhile. Like Gwalk says, I'm old.

yorkytime1
New Poster

ok BirdDog,  I see some of your devices are DHCP, manual and Static.  How do you change those settings?  What determines IP address type?
yorkytime1
New Poster

Oh and how do you run the 5GHZ side?  How does one know when to utilize the 5GHZ speed?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

DHCP means the router is assigning it, Manual means you've manually assigned an address, Static means....have to get back to you on that.....lol.

You manually assign addresses in the LAN settings DHCP tab. Have to enable manual assignment.

Oh, be sure to hit the Apply button at the bottom whenever changing things. Drives me nuts when I forget and things don't take.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Oh and how do you run the 5GHZ side?  How does one know when to utilize the 5GHZ speed?
I posted awhile ago about that, it got lost in the fray.  🙂

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/asus-router-rt-ac68u?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%...
yorkytime1
New Poster

ok BirdDog.  Got the lan set up...yes manual was enabled.  Is there any advantage in assigning an IP address to a device?  Will go look at my devices now to see if they are 5GHZ capable.  Thank much.  There is so much to learn!
GW
Advanced Tutor

For me, static means a hardwired device that has a specific address assigned to it within the device. Like a network printer.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Only advantage is you don't have worry about the DHCP switching the address for whatever reason then messing up your data tracking per device.

That static flag on my one device might be a glitch since I have static turned off under LAN, Route.

Now I'm going to drive myself nuts trying to figure it out. Thanks a lot! LOL
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Ah GW, thanks. You're probably right, will check the TV to see if I have the address manually assigned there. I love this site!
yorkytime1
New Poster

GW,  that makes sense.  I'm having issues with my wireless security camera.  It was set up with a wired connection.  Then moved to remote location.  Wonder if that is why the IP address was static?  Slowly I'm learning.  I've had routers for years...but never have looked into WHY they work.  LOL
yorkytime1
New Poster

BirdDog,  Now that makes a lot of sense to me.  The ip address is always changing on the cameras for some reason.  Maybe I will just let it choose an address them assign that number to it manually.  Sorry about the static thing....let me know what you find out.  LOL
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sure enough, I had it set in the TV, why it was Static. Thanks again GW, triple likes. You saved OCD me from a breakdown.  🙂

Although the TV connection is wireless so I guess it doesn't matter. What matters is if it is assigned in the device itself.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I should pick out a shirt and iron it to be ready for that badge.  😉

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Something with a blue beam I think 🙂
GW
Advanced Tutor

This what mine looks like right now. Though all the gobbldegook has a funny way of saying it, the thing is a laser printer connected by ethernet. The address of 192.168.1.102 is set inside the printer and locked in.

GW
Advanced Tutor

This what mine looks like right now. Though all the gobbldegook has a funny way of saying it, the thing is a laser printer connected by ethernet. The address of 192.168.1.102 is set inside the printer and locked in.