cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS router RT-AC68U

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: ASUS router RT-AC68U

There are the work from home folks which need a VPN connection to the office server. And have you heard of the "Dark Web"? I definitely don't need to delve into that.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Gabe, work related stuff.
You remember that work "thing" ? Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Dang, that old pup beat me again !
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Ah.  That makes sense.  And yep, heard of the Dark Web.  There's that program on Showtime about that.  A bad thing, no doubt. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Yep, I remember work, though it fades further from memory each day that goes by.  LMAO. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Basically a secure tunnel over the internet which only each end have the keys to. The government uses it a lot too, so many employees use it at home also to work from home.

When I was managing an HVAC wholesale branch back in the early 2000s I used to be able to connect to my business' computer system from home to do orders.  That's was back when cable modems were in their infancy and I was one of the first customers in that area to use one.  It was SOOOO fast for the day. 

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Yea, I set up one dial-up VPN connection back in 2001 or so between a parking garage management office and the actual parking garage that monitored the in/out traffic and tolls that were taken in. It was with XP, that says how long ago it was.
Highlighted

Those were the good old days. Back in 1984, I developed an e-mail system that ran on a Tandem Non-Stop computer. It had 100 800 rotary lines for dial-in access. Our sales person called from NJ one day asking if I could accommodate X.25 networking. "Of, course..." This was the first major networking protocol I had ever dealt with. I couldn't believe it. We installed the software and the hardware interface, and bingo! Magic, I was connected to their internal network with roughly 500 employees able to connect simultaneously. Yes, we've come a long way since then, but still...!  
Highlighted

Knerkin,

Today's capabilities aside, just the possibility of being able to do things like that was amazing.  Something that really opened up a whole new world for businesses and such.  To be able to electronically connect and send/receive data?  Who'da thunk?