cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATT acquires DirecTV

ATT acquires DirecTV

First they acquire Cricket Communications now DirecTV is ATT getting to big again?
This comes from PC Mag but I did get an email from DirecTV Saturday telling me that ATT now has my TV account.  I really don't care for ATT very much and my wife uses a Cricket Phone so I guess ATT is like Elvis they are everywhere.

It's official: AT&T is the largest pay TV provider in the U.S. and the world.

The company on Friday announced it has completed its $48.5 billion takeover of DirecTV. The announcement came shortly after the Federal Communications Commission the same day voted to approve the acquisition.

"Combining DirecTV with AT&T is all about giving customers more choices for great video entertainment integrated with mobile and high-speed Internet service," AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said in a statement. "We'll now be able to meet consumers' future entertainment preferences, whether they want traditional TV service with premier programming, their favorite content on a mobile device, or video streamed over the Internet to any screen."

He added that the acquisition will allow AT&T to "significantly expand" its high-speed Internet service to reach "millions more households." AT&T now has more than 26 million video and satellite TV customers in the U.S.

"We're now a fundamentally different company with a diversified set of capabilities and businesses that set us apart from the competition," Stephenson said.

Current AT&T and DirecTV customers will continue to receive the same services, channel lineups, and customer care as they did before the merger. Customer account information, online access, and billing arrangements will also remain the same.

The company said it plans to integrate DirecTV over the coming months, and expects to launch a new "integrated TV, mobile, and high-speed Internet" offering in the next few weeks.

AT&T in May 2014 first announced plans to acquire DirecTV in a $48.5 billion agreement that it said will provide more customers with mobile, broadband, and pay TV service bundles.

DirecTV shareholders in September approved the deal, which was expected to be complete in the first half of 2015. But earlier this year, the FCC called a timeout on the mega-merger, based on a pending court decision concerning the disclosure of video-programming contracts.

Then earlier this week, the FCC signaled that it would approve the buy, albeit with a few restrictions. In an effort to prevent discrimination against online video competition, AT&T will not be permitted to exclude its own video services and content from data caps on its network. The company will also be required to expand its high-speed fiber Internet footprint to 12.5 million customer locations, and offer broadband services to low-income customers at discounted rates.

21 REPLIES 21

Re: ATT acquires DirecTV

Gary: Do you have any idea how this acquisition will permit "...AT&T to "significantly expand" its high-speed Internet service to reach "millions more households." AT&T now has more than 26 million video and satellite TV customers in the U.S. "

DirecTV is a TV satellite business which also resells HN and Exede. I'm confused, and, by the way, any of you who are affected by this, hold your enthusiasm until you have had several live experiences with their CS,
Alum

Hi Gary,

Definitely an interesting read. Since they announced their plans to acquire DirecTV, I wondered what their triple threat service would be called. Xfinity is comcast, Verizon has FIOS Triple Play, and maybe AT&T will be called Tinfinity and beyond? lol who knows. 

- Chris

AT&T won't do squat expanding land based broadband to their customers. I just moved from an area where AT&T was allowed to buy a baby Bell under the proviso they expand cable. Eight years after the sale, AT&T had not turned the first shovel full of dirt.

AT&T in other acquisitions has virtually destroyed companies they bought. NCR cash registers is a prime example. I don't hold out much hope for DirecTV. 

They should have asked the customers how they feel. I might be doing without TV in the future.

I guess they have a Wizard that will zap service to areas where service isn't available at this time.  With the FCC, aka Taxpayers, supplying service for the millions they can afford to, "...go where no service has gone before..." to use a Star Trek quote.

Hey Robin

Me too I had Dish Network and didn't like it at all the only good thing was I got it for free since I worked there.  As soon as I retired I went with DirecTv due to better programming inside the lower priced packages.  My self I am happy with my antenna hanging off a pole attached to my workshop it is free.  I only got Satellite TV because my wife does beadwork and likes to watch TV while beading.  If they mess with what I have currently then Bye Bye is all I can say.  I don't understand why News Corp. would let it go it is the number one Satellite TV service.  This makes no sense to me at all.  We just have to wait and see.
Assistant Professor

It's all about the shareholders, they approved it.  Smiley Sad
Highlighted

Gary, News Corp did not own DirecTV. It did have 38% of the company some time back but divested itself, swapping it's shares for shares another company held of News Corp.
Associate Professor

FCC should have given them strict penalties... Such as, turn on DSL for ALL your wire-line subscribers at a minimum of 6Mbps...  Or, forced them to offer a 250GB 4g LTE cap for AT&T wireline locations with out DSL.
Associate Professor

Yeah, I am one of those people in the areas BellSouth was actively rolling out DSL when AT&T bought them, never saw DSL, and the phone lines are fully of static because AT&T has neglected them over the years.