Absolutely Disgusted With New Service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awall
New Poster

Absolutely Disgusted With New Service

I decided to go with HN after dealing with sub-par DSL for the past 13 years.  At our location here in GA with Windstream I have 1 to 2 Mbps speed.  I read where folks complained about HN and it's speed sometimes being 5 to 8 Mbps and I was like.... heck, what I would do to have that kind of speed!!!!  I avoided some of the toxic HN reviews since most were complaining about the Mbps.  I read everything HN had to say and knew I would not be gaming or streaming Netflicks.  I do use the internet quite a bit and watch Youtube and Instagram.  No where did I find a clear representation that I would be unable to watch baisc Youtube videos without unacceptable buffering.  Keep in mind,  I had been watching on a 1 to 2 Mbps connection.

Well.... here lies the problem.... latency.  HN does not let you know that even basic services like - surfing for a recipie was going to be painfully slow.  Click on Google..... wait..... finally get it to load..... search.... wait...... finally get it to load..... click on the recipe...... finally loads.  In many cases, I've turned off HN and gone back to my DSL just to be able to get stuff done.

Now for the details.  Yes, I have done everything in the support recommendations.  I'm running test with everything disconnected from the service except my laptop.  Ethernet cable only.  WiFi on the router disabled.  As for download speed, it's been way above advertised.  I'm getting anywhere from 35 to 48 Mbps.  The latency is the kicker.  Ping rate anywhere from 650 to 1200.  satellite has clear view and installation tech said great reception.  With DSL, on the WiFi connection to my home router I'm at 1 to 2.5 Mbps with a ping rate of 55 to 60.

What has me just sick to my stomach is that I purchased everything up front ($400 investment) and now I have to pay $400 to get out of the contract!  That puts me at a financial loss of $800.  Someone, please tell me there is a better customer solution.  I've only had the service for 10 days now.

Thanks,

Awall

27 REPLIES 27
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You should post the URL to your My Results page on Testmy.net to get the ball rolling on this site. 

Also, read this, if you haven't already: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

"Troubleshooting is key! If we cannot resolve your concerns after best effort troubleshooting, we are happy to work with you regarding the termination fees."

@maratsade wrote:

You should post the URL to your My Results page on Testmy.net to get the ball rolling on this site. 

Wow...  that looks pretty horrible.  WifFi disabled and connected via ehternet cable.  No other ethernet cables attached.

https://testmy.net/db/seSv3L62h.AyDJOhG4-

GabeU

@awall 

Latency with HughesNet tends to be in the 600s.  Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done to improve it, as the majority of it is due to the distance the signal has to travel.  However, if you're regularly seeing ~1200ms, that could indicate some sort of problem, as though it can spike that high for a variety of reasons, it shouldn't be like that on a regular basis.

The combination of latency and system congestion can often wreak havoc on streaming, including things like YouTube, unfortunately.  You can try lowering the stream resolution and/or turning off (or Snoozing) the Video Data Saver to see if it helps.

The latency just gets worse...

https://testmy.net/latency?tID=275zxcr7se

maratsade

@awall 

Testmy isn't good for satellite internet latency, so basically, anything they have there is meaningless. The latency of satellite internet is approximately 500ms; adding regular internet latency that can go much higher, but typically it's in the mid 600s to mid 700s, but it can also be a bit more. You can ping sites to get an idea of the latency. 

You will need to have more than 2 speed tests. Best way to go about this is to have groups of 3 tests, each test in the group about 5 minutes or so apart from the others, and repeat the groups of 3 tests at different times of the day.  Do that over a day or two so as to show  the pattern of the issue. 

Your upload speed looks normal. I'd focus on just download tests. 

@maratsade wrote:

@awall 

Testmy isn't good for satellite internet latency, so basically, anything they have there is meaningless. The latency of satellite internet is approximately 500ms; adding regular internet latency that can go much higher, but typically it's in the mid 600s to mid 700s, but it can also be a bit more. You can ping sites to get an idea of the latency. 

Okay... I don't understand, you are the one who told me to use Testmy.net...

maratsade

@awall 

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  Testmy is the site you need to use to test speeds.  Just don't use their latency tester; it's not helpful or accurate. 

@maratsade wrote:

@awall 

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  Testmy is the site you need to use to test speeds.  Just don't use their latency tester; it's not helpful or accurate. 

Which service do you rercommend for testing latency?  TestMy is pretty much inline with Speedtest.net for latency.

maratsade

@awall , make sure you follow the troubleshooting instructions here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

There are specific required file sizes for these tests. Please read the instructions. 

Also, you should only post the URL to the page titled My Results.  On Testmy, click in the My Results link (top of the page) and post that URL. You need to only post it once. 

If you haven't created a free account with Testmy,please do. Then run the tests as required and post the required URL. 

As for testing latency, I use pings. Others may have some other recommendations. 

GabeU

@GabeU wrote:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Awall

Thanks GabeU.  I've got it set to run every four hours for the next 24 hours so well see.....

However, I really don't see what this is going to tell us since from what's been said, it's the latency that's the issue and nothing can be done about that.  I just wish HN had been more transparent about this.  Especially with the penalty that I'm facing to cancel 10 days in ($400 for the equipment I purchased and $400 for the early cancellation fee).  Who would have thought that a DSL connection at 1 to 2 Mbps would have smoked HN.  I'm just feeling taken advantage of by HN on this.

maratsade

@awall , do the required testing and troubleshooting. As they say in the article I linked earlier, they're willing to work with subscribers regarding the ETF, but you have to do the troubleshooting.  

@maratsade wrote:

@awall , do the required testing and troubleshooting. As they say in the article I linked earlier, they're willing to work with subscribers regarding the ETF, but you have to do the troubleshooting.  

Oh, I plan on following the troubleshooting requirments exactly as requested.  I really would like for this to work since there is no chance of high speed internet (Fiber) at my location.  We also have no cell service here which eliminates a mobile option.  HN was my last hope.  Based on the TV advertising I thought the new Gen 5 service was better.....

maratsade

Wow, no cell service, that's bad. 

@maratsade wrote:

Wow, no cell service, that's bad. 

Yep, even tried the below from Weboost to see if we could get a better signal.... no go.

https://www.weboost.com/products/destination-rv

To top it off, my driveway is 1/2 mile long and there's not a chance the phone company is going to drop a fiber line all the way back here.

maratsade

Is there anything in the works for county wide or statewide fiber? Some areas are moving in that direction. What do you do for a phone? Do you have a landline?

Results as of 3:00pm 1/4/22.  As you can see, the download speed is good (at times).  However, I cannot even watch an Instagram story without buffering.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Awall

So.... with this in mind, what else needs testing before we move into some sort of help on the early termination fee?

maratsade

The reps here will have to answer that, but your speeds are normal. The times when they're not is likely due to congestion (too many people on the beam trying to use the system).  Buffering is a result of latency and congestion, and happens often, especially during prime time, but it can happen at other times too. 

Since service and performance are not guaranteed (and cannot be guaranteed), and your system seems to be working within normal parameters, not sure that you have a case.  But your next step should be to wait until a rep replies to you. Just give them some time to work on the case. Check the community often, as they may have additional troubleshooting questions for you.