Absolutely Disgusted With New Service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awall
New Poster

Absolutely Disgusted With New Service

I decided to go with HN after dealing with sub-par DSL for the past 13 years.  At our location here in GA with Windstream I have 1 to 2 Mbps speed.  I read where folks complained about HN and it's speed sometimes being 5 to 8 Mbps and I was like.... heck, what I would do to have that kind of speed!!!!  I avoided some of the toxic HN reviews since most were complaining about the Mbps.  I read everything HN had to say and knew I would not be gaming or streaming Netflicks.  I do use the internet quite a bit and watch Youtube and Instagram.  No where did I find a clear representation that I would be unable to watch baisc Youtube videos without unacceptable buffering.  Keep in mind,  I had been watching on a 1 to 2 Mbps connection.

Well.... here lies the problem.... latency.  HN does not let you know that even basic services like - surfing for a recipie was going to be painfully slow.  Click on Google..... wait..... finally get it to load..... search.... wait...... finally get it to load..... click on the recipe...... finally loads.  In many cases, I've turned off HN and gone back to my DSL just to be able to get stuff done.

Now for the details.  Yes, I have done everything in the support recommendations.  I'm running test with everything disconnected from the service except my laptop.  Ethernet cable only.  WiFi on the router disabled.  As for download speed, it's been way above advertised.  I'm getting anywhere from 35 to 48 Mbps.  The latency is the kicker.  Ping rate anywhere from 650 to 1200.  satellite has clear view and installation tech said great reception.  With DSL, on the WiFi connection to my home router I'm at 1 to 2.5 Mbps with a ping rate of 55 to 60.

What has me just sick to my stomach is that I purchased everything up front ($400 investment) and now I have to pay $400 to get out of the contract!  That puts me at a financial loss of $800.  Someone, please tell me there is a better customer solution.  I've only had the service for 10 days now.

Thanks,

Awall

27 REPLIES 27

@maratsade wrote:

The reps here will have to answer that, but your speeds are normal. The times when they're not is likely due to congestion (too many people on the beam trying to use the system).  Buffering is a result of latency and congestion, and happens often, especially during prime time, but it can happen at other times too. 

Since service and performance are not guaranteed (and cannot be guaranteed), and your system seems to be working within normal parameters, not sure that you have a case.  But your next step should be to wait until a rep replies to you. Just give them some time to work on the case. Check the community often, as they may have additional troubleshooting questions for you. 

What gets me is the level of false adverstising by HN.  Watch any of the TV commercials for Gen 5 service and no where does it call out that you will not be able to watch a low resolution YouTube video.  Well.... unless you want it to buffer every 5 seconds.  In fact, they show a family enjoying all the benefits of the internet!  I fully understood that the download speeds may be below the adverstised "up to 25 Mbps", however due to the latency issue, this is basically a non usable service.  I may have to look into what legal action/credit card dispute I can move forward with since I am only 10 days out from my purchase.  I complained to the installation tech that something was wrong. 

HN, do the right thing for your customers.  (a) If the service does not perform to a minimum standard then let folks out of the contract in the first 30 days. (b) Put more information out about what to expect with the latency.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@awall 

Read the disclaimers here: https://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm (section 1.1). This is the subscriber agreement and it's legally binding. 

There are disclaimers at the bottom of this page as well:  https://www.hughesnet.com/about/hughesnet-gen5

The subscriber agreement also contains the procedure for dispute resolution with the company (see Section II).

@maratsade wrote:

@awall 

Read the disclaimers here: https://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm (section 1.1). This is the subscriber agreement and it's legally binding. 

There are disclaimers at the bottom of this page as well:  https://www.hughesnet.com/about/hughesnet-gen5

The subscriber agreement also contains the procedure for dispute resolution with the company (see Section II).

Thank you for the legal fine print.  Nice to know that HN would prefer to trap customers who just purchased the service via a legal document that may or may not hold up in court due to the false advertising on Gen 5 service.  Not to mention, the installer said that the document I signed was only to agree that he had "installed" the system.  I can assure you that if I loose $800, I will not go quietly.  I can understand why I would not get refunded on the $400 of equipment purchased.  I'm willing to accept this as an expense/penalty for my stupidity in not listening to others on the internet who warned me about HN.  But to then charge me an additional $400 early termination fee ten days after I got service is just insult to injury.

maratsade

You may want to follow the procedure indicated in the subscriber agreement. 

@maratsade wrote:

You may want to follow the procedure indicated in the subscriber agreement. 

Well.... as you stated earlier.... there appears to be no issue with my service that is beyond what the HN subscriber agreement is responsible for.  So, HN will ask me to pay the $400 ECF and I get to eat the $400 on the equipment = $800 gone.  Now, I could request arbitration per the subscriber agreement but if I loose, I then am responsible for the legal fees.

Now, if I'm missing something, please let me know (as well as others who are following this).  To tell people that everything is fine with my service is an insult.  Heck, when I had dial up service it had less latency.  Latency is the misleading part of what HN is selling.  They should make it clear on how download speed means nothing.  If you can have a DSL line with 1 Mbps speed and a ping rate of 60 it will blow HN 25 Mbps connection out of the water because of the latency difference.  To then give customers no real option out in this day and time is just wrong.  However... I guess this is just a satellite thing (HN, DT, DN, VS)

Be sure to check that the Data Saver is turned off.

GabeU mentioned this some posts back, but it might have been overlooked with all the replies.  The Data Saver is nice for keeping a relative from chewing through the GB streaming a 4K video to a 2 inch screen on a phone, but it can get in the way if you are trying to watch something of medium or high resolution.

maratsade

Keep in mind that turning off the VDS is no guarantee that you will be able to stream during times of high congestion.  Additionally, your data will be used very fast.