Hughesnet Community

Absolutely Terrible Internet Speeds - Streaming impossible.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c_c
New Poster

Absolutely Terrible Internet Speeds - Streaming impossible.

Spoiler

I am extremely unhappy with HughesNet service.  We started with Hughesnet in November of 2019 because UNFORTUNATELY it was one of our only (few) options.  All of the terrible reviews we read were 110% correct.  Our internet speeds are horribly slow, despite what Hughesnet's own speedtest tries to tell us.  We were told we would be able to use Netflix, Amazon Fire TV, stream videos, facetime, etc with speeds of 25mbps until we hit our 10 gb allowance.  Apparently, without ever being able to stream a single video or movie, we hit that 10 gb allowance in the first week of usage.  I turned off wifi on every tablet or phone in my house that could use data on its own, only turning it back on to use it, and we still "used" an astronomical amount of data by simply browsing facebook and checking emails.  

I believe I have called to complain every single month since being a HughesNet customer about how terrible our speeds have actually been.  We tried to rent a movie On Demand through our tv provider and it showed download speeds of 300KBPS.  Needless to say, it was unwatchable.  Netflix can't even open if we try.  Youtube or Facebook videos buffer every 3 seconds when they load at all.  Overall, it just a horrible experience from a company who boasts about their "Fast Interent with speeds of 25mbps". - the only time I have ever seen 25mbps is when I speed test from their own website... how convenient. 

Also, today alone, two chats have ended on me because I wasn't responding ... ha!  Actually, your internet is just that slow that your representative's responses don't show up on my screen in a timely fashion.  I am so beyond frustrated with this company!

14 REPLIES 14
wkornroad
New Poster

I couldn't have written it better! The only exception is that I've tried to be patient and have called only every 3 months complaining about the speeds and their false advertising.  Several times I received a new modem (one was a rebuilt), the other supposedly new.  The speeds went up slightly, but soon went down. I've lost many many hours on the phone with tech people.  There seems to be no solution other than trying to find some other provider (not easy as I live in the country).

Hughes Net is the worst!!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

If you would like tech help on this siteyou need to start a new  topic -- go to https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport and click on Start a topic.  

Make sure to explain in detail what the issues are, and be prepared to do some troubleshooting on your side of the system.  This is the only way that people here can  help you.  Just complaining, I'm afraid, is a bit pointless in terms of improving your system.  

wkornroad wrote:

I couldn't have written it better! The only exception is that I've tried to be patient and have called only every 3 months complaining about the speeds and their false advertising.  Several times I received a new modem (one was a rebuilt), the other supposedly new.  The speeds went up slightly, but soon went down. I've lost many many hours on the phone with tech people.  There seems to be no solution other than trying to find some other provider (not easy as I live in the country).

Hughes Net is the worst!!

GabeU

@c_c 

Firstly, 10GB isn't going to last very long with streaming.  Going by Netflix's figures, streaming uses 3GB or more per hour in HD, 750MB per hour in SD, and 350MB per hour in LD.  So, that's a little over three hours of HD streaming and you'd be out of data.  

Secondly, if you are trying to stream in HD are you being sure to turn off, or pause, the Video Data Saver?  If not, you'll likely see buffering.  Again, though, 10GB isn't going to last very long with streaming.  

Regarding the speed issue, the reps here will need some test results in order to be able to help you, and the speed tests need to be run in a specific way.  I will post the directions below.  Please be sure to run the tests under at testmy.net account that you have created, and while using a single device that is connected to the HughesNet modem via LAN cable (no WiFi).  Please be sure to disable the HughesNet modem's WiFi while you are running the tests.  The instructions for doing so will also be below.  

-----------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site (due to being an older site, the stated test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Thirdly, when it comes to regular streaming, speed isn't usually what causes buffering, latency is.

If the stream provider's server can't handle the inherent 500-700ms latency that comes with having a satellite some 36km above the surface of the planet, then you're tough out of luck.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

Thirdly, when it comes to regular streaming, speed isn't usually what causes buffering, latency is.

If the stream provider's server can't handle the inherent 500-700ms latency that comes with having a satellite some 36km above the surface of the planet, then you're tough out of luck.

I find congestion to be a problem, too.  The heavier the congestion, the more difficult the streaming.  What I normally have no issue streaming during the day or late at night I sometimes do in the evenings.  Granted, I don't stream much, but on the occasions I try this happens, and does sometimes with Youtube, as well.  My speed is adequate and my latency is pretty much the same, but congestion is hitting.

Well, not to be pedantic, but congestion basically means servers are overloaded, putting people in a wait state until a packet slot opens up. Technically, that's really a different kind of latency: Server-based vice signal path. Because that's causing added delays within a contiguous stream it has the direct impact of reducing observed overall throughput and speed.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
guthriewl
New Poster

I feel your pain. I wish I could provide a ray of hope but I cannot. I had great service during the 1st 30 days. Almost no service since. 25GB is gone in 24 - 48 hours by their account even with everything disconnected and no one home.  I have spent hours with Tech Support even having them take me off line for 8 - 12 hours (2 different times, 2 different Techs, which tells me they have a script they follow) while they said they were analizing the system. Once they left me disconnected for over 16 hours and when I came home with no service I called and the Tech Guy had no idea, no notes and did not want my case number.  He was unable to put my service back on line. After he said he could do nothing more, I went online with the modem and found it disabled. What kind of Tech Support is this when they don't know enough to check the modem settings?

I believe HughesNet's goal is that you become tired of wasting your time with their Tech Support and leave them alone, just send them your money.

I messed up as you did by not adhereing to the on-line reviews because I live in a rural area with limited options. As I read through HughesNet responses it is like talking to them on the phone. They are trained salespeople nothing more, they could qualify as politicians. I have 6 months left. I will not pay them for nothing but would leave if it costs me nothing. I will tie down the system as much as possible until my contract is up. I will dis-courage people from going to this service. It will take a CA to get their attention and expose this service as horrible. If you are reading this it is too late for you but don't let your friends make the same mistake.

I have an addtional service running along side HughesNet and it has out performed them hands down. For the 1st time in over 1.5 years we can stream movies without buffering and have multile people on line at the same time and it costs less. I use HughesNet only for work related items now and I am still, according to them using 25GB in 24 - 48 hours. 

Good luck getting them to do anything. I believe you like me will start looking for the day your contract is up.

maratsade

Your post is complete nonsense. 

1. Data cannot be used if the modem is disconnected from the power source. If you left your modem on, data may be used even if no one is home. Many things can connect to the modem wirelessly. 

2. Hughesnet is a company that provides a service and charges for it; it is well thought of by the feds and other agencies.   This service works well for many. Others have issues, and the intelligent ones reach out and work out their issues and get them solved. 

3. Troubleshooting is a process. Hughesnet techs are not magicians or mind readers; they need to follow a protocol in order to figure out what the problem is (just like car mechanics and others do),  and intelligent subscribers understand the necessity of this. 

4. A CA is not possible as per the subscriber agreement, which is something intelligent subscribers who do their research know. Additionally, a CA and any other action is lengthy, expensive, and gives the subscriber very little in return.  It makes very little sense to pursue this avenue when working directly with the company yields faster and much more satisfying results. 

5. If you have another service that works for you, it might make more sense for you to pay the ETF to break the contract and go. 

6. This is not a social media site.  If you want to actually get solutions for your issues (as opposed to joining the herd in their incessant and pointless bleating), start your own topic under Tech Support (just click on Start a topic) so you can get individualized attention.  No one can help you if you don't give them a chance. 

guthriewl bleated:

I gave up replying to those kind of posts because 9/10 they just come on here to have a winge and leave, never bothering to see the response, so it's a waste of time.

People talk about all the complaints (on a tech-help site, duh), but nobody talks about how many complaints get binned because the complainer didn't even have the courtesy to respond to any offer of help.

It's easy to tell which ones are the 'dump and run' kind, because they're all snidely self-righteous and full of paranoid incorrect assumptions, just like this last one...

This always happens when someone buys something they thought was something else and want to blame someone other than themselves for their own mistake, because... it's never their mistake.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote: 

It's easy to tell which ones are the 'dump and run' kind, because they're all snidely self-righteous and full of paranoid incorrect assumptions, just like this last one... 

Especially when they drop a second rant post, and only a rant post, in as many years.  They have no credibility.  

@GabeU wrote:

Especially when they drop a second rant post in as many years.  They have no credibility.  

I call it Howard Beale Syndrome. They just want a soapbox to rant on, because they're mad as **bleep** and aren't going take it anymore... it doesn't matter what it is or that's what they're really mad about, it's something to rant about, and they can do it whenever they feel like it.

maratsade

Totally see where you're coming from, as the idiotic posts get tiresome. However, I still think the responses may be helpful to others reading the conversation.

MarkJFine wrote:

I gave up replying to those kind of posts because 9/10 they just come on here to have a winge and leave, never bothering to see the response, so it's a waste of time.

People talk about all the complaints (on a tech-help site, duh), but nobody talks about how many complaints get binned because the complainer didn't even have the courtesy to respond to any offer of help.

This always happens when someone buys something they thought was something else and want to blame someone other than themselves for their own mistake, because... it's never their mistake.

It seems the only people that read/respond to other people's posts are the people likely to dump a "me too" diatribe and then disappear into the night. Then others wonder why we repeat ourselves.

You're 100 correct, the intent of this concept is so that people can search and see how others got their problem solved. Most, it seems think it's to have a winging party.

maratsade

Yes, of course, bleaters tend to want to join herds and bleat in unison.  I believe I will continue clarifying bleaters' ignorant comments and hope that someone who may read may decide the answer is logical.  Hope springs eternal. 🙂