Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access during quarantine

Highlighted
Freshman

Access during quarantine

Good afternoon.

I am dealing with forced isolation after positive covid19 test. As a news producer, I work in a critical infrastructure industry as defined by DHS. My station has provided me with the necessary equipment and software at home to do my job, but the connection is an issue.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Speed test is 2.32 mbps upload and < 1 download

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: Access during quarantine

Your problem will be most likely the latency, not the speed, and there's nothing that can be done about the latency because... satellite.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Due to latency, there will be delays between what you say, and others hear/see if you are trying to stream to your broadcast station.

If you are getting ~1.5Mbps to ~2.5Mbps the best you would be able to live-stream would be approximately 480, possible 720p.  I would consult with your studio on how to pre-set a resolution, as you won't get any faster upload.

Another possible option, depending on your role, pre-record and upload the footage for broadcast.

Download speed for broadcasting has minimal impact, if you're waiting on a queue from the broadcast station, you could possibly use landline phone service to get the information needed while broadcasting from home.

Highlighted
Freshman

I do not need to stream anything. I need to be able to download clips for editing, and upload videos for transfer back. This is my speed test result from hughesnet

20200320_173230.jpg

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Try doing your work after midnight.  

During the day, the system is bogged down by all the people who are home in quarantine, or sheltered in place, or teleworking, plus all the kids going to school from home. Satellite internet is limited; you need to work around that as best you can. 

Chelliance wrote:

I do not need to stream anything. I need to be able to download clips for editing, and upload videos for transfer back. This is my speed test result from hughesnet

Highlighted
Freshman

I understand, but I don't get to choose when news happens. My job requires I keep the people in my viewing area informed.  

Out of curiosity, I just applied an 8 GB token and rena the speed test with this result.  This is why I am asking for tech support help.   From 2  to 40.

20200320_185750.jpg

Highlighted

Were you out of data before?  Speeds are much slower then. 

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Highlighted

N/A

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Chelliance 

There's not a whole lot that can be done for your speed when you've exhausted your allowance.  They've increased the speed for those who've done so and are throttled as much as they can during this COVID-19 problem, but there's only so much they can do.  

If you need much higher speed, you're going to have to keep buying tokens.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro