Hughesnet Community

Actual download speeds?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timothy Southwa

Actual download speeds?

On either the Prime Plus or Pro Plus plan are you actually generally or almost always getting at least half of HughesNet advertised maximum download speed of 10 Mbps ( 5/4 MBps )?
8 REPLIES 8
Chris11
Alum

Hello Timothy, 

Is this a question for the community? If so we'll allow them to chime in. Although you might want to check out this article as well.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fcc-broadband-report-ranks-hughesnet-gen4-internet-service-h...

- Chris
Timothy Southwa

Yes, it is a question for the community. And I will check out that article. Thanks.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Pro Plus plan here, and yes, I almost always get at least half of the plan's advertised speed. 

Edit: changed it to "Almost always", as I see now more clearly what you are asking. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'm on Ultra plan so can't speak to other plans. Semantics aside, I get 75-200% of advertised speed at least 95% of the time I'd say.

This past weekend there was quite a slowdown during the nighttime peak period Saturday night. Was getting between 2-4 Mbps but the service was still usable. I don't expect large file downloads to be as fast as non-peak times. Browsing was still fine and we even watched some Netflix at low definition.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"On either the Prime Plus or Pro Plus plan are you actually generally or almost always getting at least half of HughesNet advertised maximum download speed of 10 Mbps ( 5/4 MBps )? "

Yes, I almost always get at least half, but usually more than half, and sometimes more than what's advertised.
Timothy Southwa

Not bad, BirdDog. I presently rely on my 3g smartphone for access to the internet, and my fastest download speed is only about 3 Mbps. I consider that I'm doing fairly well if I get 1 Mbps. And too often I get only 10 or 20 Kbps or nothing at all.
Timothy Southwa

By now Chris I've not only checked out the article but I've also looked at the FCC report that is linked to it. Impressive! Hughes is honest and modest about its advertised data speed claims. I do have one question. Can Hughes do anything for that small percentage ( about 5% ) of users who report less than 80% of advertised speed?
Chris11
Alum

Hi Timothy,

The threshold is less than 60% of advertised speed. After troubleshooting has been performed. If we see a consistent slow results, and not much change in customer experience, then we always work with our engineers to make direct changes to customer sites. We've seen tremendous success with in here on the community. It can however take some time depending on the situation. That along with our other community members insight has increased our success rate. Hope this answers your question.

Thanks,
Chris