cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actually useable when data allowance is gone?

Associate Professor

Re: Actually useable when data allowance is gone?

Facebook, general browsing, candy crush work fine for me while on a SmartBrowse plan...  However, I can't recommend on-demand with DirecTV or Netflix, Netflix and DirecTV can chew some serious amounts of your data allowance...  If you go that route, I personally wouldn't do more than 1 or 2 movies a month...  I would try to save the heavy streaming for later in the month when you know if you will have plenty of data allowance.
New Poster

That's exactly what we would be doing - streaming with excess data allowance. :-)
Associate Professor

I'm pretty sure because he goes on to say "You can only download this on windows machines " Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Alum

I seem to remember a commercial back not too far. PC vs Mac? lol

Thought it was a consensus once Apple makes it official :-).

It seems pop-culture and recent generations who are at least technologically literate will consider a PC a Windows-based desktop computer. This wide-range answer list is actually pretty nice to read through, though. https://storify.com/technologizer/what-is-a-pc

Amanda
New Poster

We are definitely going to be moving to the max plan. I'm not sure why the customer service rep recommended prime when I told him how many users we had and how we use our wi-fi. It's good to hear that the smartbrowse feature is part of the max plan. We use wi-fi almost exclusively from tablets and smartphones. We have two Windows-based laptops but rarely use them anymore unless I need to email a file from them.

It sounds like we aren't going to be able to get a good feel for our cumulative data usage until the last 10 days of this month. Since we could change to the max with smart browsing, I'm not quite as concerned about  tracking it. I will make sure we update all our apps within this 20 day window.

You've all been really helpful. Thank you so much!

Mary Beth

New Poster

We are definitely going to be moving to the max plan. I'm not sure why the customer service rep recommended prime when I told him how many users we had and how we use our wi-fi. It's good to hear that the smartbrowse feature is part of the max plan. We use wi-fi almost exclusively from tablets and smartphones. We have two Windows-based laptops but rarely use them anymore unless I need to email a file from them.

It sounds like we aren't going to be able to get a good feel for our cumulative data usage until the last 10 days of this month. Since we could change to the max with smart browsing, I'm not quite as concerned about  tracking it. I will make sure we update all our apps within this 20 day window.

You've all been really helpful. Thank you so much!

Mary Beth

New Poster

What is the time zone on the phone service? When I look at the time log, it tells me calls were made after the current time here which is Eastern. Kind of confusing.

Associate Professor

I think Hughes is using GMT which is 5 hours ahead and doesn't exactly factor in DST or anything of the such.  I know the modem logs are all in GMT.