cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ads that stream video

Ads that stream video

I posted a concern about HughesNet allowing ads that automatically stream video, eight months ago. I thought for a while the problem had been resolved.  Now this "Campus Insiders" ad is again running data-allowance consuming videos automatically. I strongly don't feel it should be the responsibility of a HughesNet subscriber to have to scour every web-page for such things.
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Ads that stream video

You have to set your browser to not play them when you load the page.
Assistant Professor

AdBlock and FlashBlock.

Roger, I very much appreciate your reply. Keep in mind that I have very low-level skills when it comes to computer technology. I use Firefox as my browser and I used to have "AdBlockerPlus" or something like that. It seemed to just disappear at some point. I have tried downloading a couple of other ad-blocking programs since then, but I can't seem to get them to actually apply themselves. 

Maybe my problem is that I'm using an elderly computer with Windows xp as the OS. Could that be a factor?

Hey Jay, Go to (Tools) And then click (Addons) And then click (Plugins) and then Find (Shockwave flash} In the list. 

On the Right Side Set It to  (ask to activate)
Alum

Hello Jay,

Thanks for the post. Hopefully you have resolved your issue, but here is a great post regarding Data Usage Sources – Common and Not So Common: 

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

Please let us know if there is any other additional questions you might have.

- Warren

Well, I still don't see how to stop videos that run on Yahoo's news page.  Everything on my Plug Ins is set to "ask to activate".  I'm using Windows 8.