cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced tech support says after hours when not after hours

Professor

Re: Advanced tech support says after hours when not after hours

"The champions come out of the wood work."

Best thing about the site.They do come out of the woodwork to help others, and on a volunteer basis to boot.  And on weekends.  They're awesome. 

Sophomore

Yes Clearly I have an issue. I wish I know what it was and how to solve it. Like I stated I have talked to several lower techs and a couple advanced ones with no good solution. Today I tried to call many times during hours and was told I was not calling during hours. Not sure if it was a day off for them since it said on the recording they were supposed to be there during 11-2 est on Saturday and I was calling during that time.

This has been extremely frustrating and if I have to terminate it due to how bad the service is it will cost me even more money which is even more infuriating.

Associate Professor

Hughesnet will use QoS to prioritize traffic, however, they do it on a port by port basis.  Testmy.net traffic goes over the same port any other website would, it isn't prioritized higher than other websites.

The key reason we ask for testmy.net results is because it's the only test where one can dictate how much data is used (you don't want too much or too little) for testing.  Five years ago, before Chrome and Firefox dumped Java support, Hughes accepted ONLY their tests, they refused to use a third party test for results, but have since allowed testmy.net as it has shown fairly reliable results.

If you want assistance, you can get it here, but yes, you will have to jump through the hoops required.

1: Are you on beam 68? If yes, don't continue on with the following questions.
2: Have you performed tests at testmy.net and the Hughesnet speedtest page?
3: Since the community members don't have access to Hughesnet test results, can you share them, along with your testmy.net results?
4: Have you performed any form of a pathping to a website that works good, and another one to a website that isn't working good?  In this case, since you say testmy.net is prioritized, maybe do one to testmy.net and one to a website you are having issues with.
5: Have you performed any form of deeper testing to see where the issues may lay?

Sophomore

Satellite Name

EchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID15
Beam ID5
Outroute ID1

If you want assistance, you can get it here, but yes, you will have to jump through the hoops required.

1: Are you on beam 68? If yes, don't continue on with the following questions.

Beam 5
2: Have you performed tests at testmy.net and the Hughesnet speedtest page?

Yes See above posts
3: Since the community members don't have access to Hughesnet test results, can you share them, along with your testmy.net results?

Posted in previous post
4: Have you performed any form of a pathping to a website that works good, and another one to a website that isn't working good?  In this case, since you say testmy.net is prioritized, maybe do one to testmy.net and one to a website you are having issues with.

When I ping sites I get the normal 600ms times and no packet losss.
5: Have you performed any form of deeper testing to see where the issues may lay?

No, not sure what other tests a relevent. Looking for guidance on this.

Associate Professor

Tests that involve checking for packet loss over a period of time to a service that is having issues, as well as DNS lookup times and so on.

One thing you can try is disabling Web-Acceleration to see if that improves performance, as well as using a third party DNS.

Sophomore

How would I do this on my Ipad. I can't update apps etc reliably using the App store.I have to conect to verizon through my phone tethering for that to work reliably. Took an hour and a half to update my drone using Hughes. Only takes 10 minutes using verizon.

As for using a thirdparty DNS seems like the wrong way to fix a problem like this. Shouldn't Hughes provide a good DNS server. Do you have to use a different DNS server with your Hughes service?

I assum the web acceleration setting is in the Modem? Somehow my modem has a different password than what came with it. Now I can't log ito it. Could a tech change that from there end. I have never changed it and was able to access it until I think I pissed off a tech and he hung up on me. Not saying by any means they switched it. Just saying since that time I have not been able to log into it. I can get to the self test etc but not Wifi settings or the like.

Do you have any suggestions for software that will ping over a period of time at intervals and then log it? I have not had to deal with this sort of thing for 12 years so I am out of touch with whats out there now.

Distinguished Professor IV

@superslowhughes

Quite a few people actually use a third pary DNS.  Google's is the most used.  I agree that Hughes' could be better, but it is what it is.  That's not to say that using an alternate DNS server would solve your issues, but it might help.  

As for the Web Acceleration, you shouldn't need a password if you are connected to the service.  Just go to the System Control Center at http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage , click on the little white letter i on the upper right (it might be hard to see).  On the page that opens click Web Acceleration on the left, then Control.  Then click the green Web Acceleration Enabled button.  That will turn it off.  You do the same to turn it back on, though it will be orange and say Web Acceleration Disabled, at that point.  

Edit.  I just realized I can link to the Advanced pages, so this will open up the page with the Control (no need to click on the little i from the SCC). 

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/summary

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Sophomore

Thanks for the pointer to the Advanced Menu.

Changed the DNS. Did not make any difference.

Disabled Web Accel. Did not make any difference.

Tried resetting the modem. Made no difference.

Sophomore

Another day. More useless Internet. Today I tried getting a file for a game. It was 197KB it took 47 seconds. Downloaded the same thing using the same computer tethered to phone took a second.

Did a speed test on Hughes site:

10/01/2017 09:11 AM

KB
KB

Pretty pathetic.

Pages load but can take half a minute or so.

Testmy.net says I have 5Mbps down with a 25mb file. My reality trying to visit different sites is more like 1Mbs or less. Far from the 25 advertised or 10 minimum I was promised by the installer.

On a positive note my Ipad was finally able to update an app yesterday. It took 42 minutes to download a 300mb file. Were speeding up. It has been failing for the last few days. Last time I updated by tethering to my phone. It only took a couple minutes for the update which was approx the same size.

Sophomore

And once again Advanced Tech Support must be on vacation. I keep getting After Hours during the hours they state they are supposed to be there.

1-866-859-2275. Is there another number I can actually get to a human that has half a clue? I have a pin and have talked to a somewhat knowledgeable individual there before.