cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced tech support says after hours when not after hours

Distinguished Professor III

Re: Advanced tech support says after hours when not after hours

@superslowhughes

I just tried the number you listed and got the same thing.  It says the call is "after hours", which it isn't, then gives a message about calling the regular number if you are calling outside of these hours, which, again, I'm not, then the line goes dead.  Not very encouraging. 

Regular hours are M-F 8AM to 11PM EST, and Sat-Sun 11AM to 8PM EST.   Being that I called at 3:35PM EST on Sunday, which is within the listed normal business hours, again, this is not encouraging. 

@Liz @Amanda 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Good morning superslowhughes,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting and for troubleshooting with the community, as well with our agents in the call center, from what I've seen in your case history. Before I escalate your case to engeering here at corporate, I would like to dispatch a tech first for a site review to address your concerns. 

Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Tuesday, Oct 3, 2017 between 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #106571625 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

Liz,

Thank you for getting someone out here. I have good line of site and signal according to the installer and the modem so it will be interesting to see what they come up with tommorow. Hope its something simple.

Any idea why Advanced support did not bother to answer the phones last weekend?

Highlighted

Good morning,

You're welcome. The phones not going through to an actual person is definitely unusual, so I've informed our phone guy about it, thank you for letting me know.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

The tech just left. Replaced the radio and adjusted the tilt from 9 to 16. Signal went from 78 to 82. Speeds non prime time are good on any speedtest site he tried. Not just testmy.net. So far this is a good sign. He also downloaded some large files 300+ mb in under a minute. We shall see once I get home and test it during prime-time so see how well it holds. If I get 5mbs min during primetime that will be great.

When I bought the service I was told I would get 20 days that would not count against my 50gb/month. Since I have had useless service for the entire month at a cost over $100 can I get my 20 days reset?

Sophomore

Well that didn't last long.

Got home this evening with hopes of actually using the internet. 20 minutes of frustration later I have to say its no better. I still average under 1mbs no mater what site I go to. IT runs between 58kbps to 1.4mbs. Unusable. Most pages take 25 seconds to 1.5 minutes to load. Some sites will not load at all no matter how many times I try. Cleared Cache. Use Ctrl F5. Sites are to big to load. Onshape, Wevolver, Altizure are all useless to me on Hughes. But work great tethering to a cell.

Screen shot of Huges at its finest.

slow internet.jpg

It is prime time. So I guess this beam is way overloaded. Why would it work great mid-day and then between 6-30pm and 7pm it is useless?

This screen show is twice as fast as it had been for the last 2 minutes. The page did finally load. I just had to wait 6 and a half minutes. Not sure if this is normal Hughes during Primetime. I would think not from what I am hereing here.

Now what  do we do to fix this?

Good morning superslowhughes,

Thank you for your updates. Your testmy.net results URL with recent speed tests showing these persistent slow speeds in the evening would be great to send to engineering so that they are aware. 

We can't restart the relaxed bandwith period, however please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Thanks,
Liz

Distinguished Professor III

@superslowhughes

I don't know if http://testmy.net/quickstats/superslowhughesnet is you, but if it is, please be sure to use the manual 25MB test size for download tests.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Thank you Liz.

As I have stated many times before (Testmy.net is not an accurate representation of what I am actually seing) Yes that is me on testmy.net. It shows there are no problems with my speed. Which is not true.

This morning I stayed home sick from work and checked out the speeds. They started just as last night, Slow almost useless. Then after a half hour or so they picked up. The three sites that took many mintues to load now take under 1 minute. So my question is what changed. They took over 5 minutes to load or failed last night and this morning but now work fine.  I have used these sites for years and could pop over to my cell and they were not slow. Why all of a sudden I can now use them (granted not primetime) at a resonable speed. Watching my local speed meter I am peaking at 7mbs and averaging around 3 to 4mbps. So much better than the 50 to 600kbps I was seeing. Not the 15mbps on any site other than testmy.net. My meter shows the  testmy.net speeds to be fast when I am testing there but not anywhere else. Why

I will try again during primetime and see if these current speeds of 1 to 7 mbps maintain. Or if they drop back down under 1mbps like usual.

Associate Professor

Not all websites will load at 15Mbps... Most websites will load at 1.5 to 4Mbps

I went to load the websites you mentioned, and they do take a while to load.

Onshape - 18 seconds
Wevolver - 14 seconds
Altizure - 89 seconds (It loads, then continues to load what seems to be large graphics files... so...)

Some other sites for fun...
Google Search - 1.5 seconds
Newegg.com - 29.3 seconds (Graphics intensive website)
Amazon.com - 39 seconds (Graphics intensive website)
CNN - 32.4 seconds (Graphics intensive website)
FOX News - 36.7 seconds
Battle.net - 39.4 seconds (Graphics intensive website)
WunderGround - 24.1 seconds (Lots of interactive content)

Stats collected with a Chrome Extension that measures load times of websites.  By the way, those are average load speeds at that, collected after dumping cache and attempting access 10 times each.  As you can see, the load times vary greatly, and can mostly be attributed to variables that are most likely well outside of Hughesnets control.