Advanced tech support says after hours when not after hours

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superslowhughes
Sophomore

Advanced tech support says after hours when not after hours

Have now had Hughes for 1 month. That's one month of horrible slow service. I had hughes years ago and it was great compared to now.

I have had nothing but slow inconsistent speeds. Test my net is mostly unreliable as a speed test. It does not reflect the real world in any since of the imagination. The Hughes test is closer to reality but it plays games with the numbers also.

Typically my speeds for any site I go to is between 10 and 150Kb. Not KB. YouTube at even 480 is a joke. Sometimes it works good but most times I can't use it and it defaults to 144 and still will not play. My Ipad won't update. Driver downloads from Nivida or Asus etc are almost impossible to get.

Evening is worse than mornings. Mornings are not much better. If I get to 1Mb not 1MB its a relief. I have called many times and have been advanced to the next guy and given a Pin. I try to call during hours again today and it says I am calling outside of hours. I am not outside of hours so I guess that part it broke also.

This has been the most frustrating internet besides StarBand I have ever had. Constant delays and lies or misinformation from low level techs. There just reading from a script I guess and just tell you wahtever to get you off the phone. They have even hung up on me before.

I have tried all there suggestions. I have tried 3 different computers several tablets. I have tried wireless and wired. I have turned off the wireless and just used Wired. All to the same effect. Useless Internet.

Now I can't even get someone to answer the phone on a Saturday during there stated hours. I work during there hours in the week so I can't call since I would not be home to try there suggestions.

After reading the posts here I am seriously regretting coming back to Hughes. There are a few champions on all the posts about how great the koolaide is but in reality it is very sour.

How does one get support if Advanced Support won't answer the phone?

42 REPLIES 42

Good morning,

You're welcome. The phones not going through to an actual person is definitely unusual, so I've informed our phone guy about it, thank you for letting me know.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

The tech just left. Replaced the radio and adjusted the tilt from 9 to 16. Signal went from 78 to 82. Speeds non prime time are good on any speedtest site he tried. Not just testmy.net. So far this is a good sign. He also downloaded some large files 300+ mb in under a minute. We shall see once I get home and test it during prime-time so see how well it holds. If I get 5mbs min during primetime that will be great.

When I bought the service I was told I would get 20 days that would not count against my 50gb/month. Since I have had useless service for the entire month at a cost over $100 can I get my 20 days reset?

Well that didn't last long.

Got home this evening with hopes of actually using the internet. 20 minutes of frustration later I have to say its no better. I still average under 1mbs no mater what site I go to. IT runs between 58kbps to 1.4mbs. Unusable. Most pages take 25 seconds to 1.5 minutes to load. Some sites will not load at all no matter how many times I try. Cleared Cache. Use Ctrl F5. Sites are to big to load. Onshape, Wevolver, Altizure are all useless to me on Hughes. But work great tethering to a cell.

Screen shot of Huges at its finest.

slow internet.jpg

It is prime time. So I guess this beam is way overloaded. Why would it work great mid-day and then between 6-30pm and 7pm it is useless?

This screen show is twice as fast as it had been for the last 2 minutes. The page did finally load. I just had to wait 6 and a half minutes. Not sure if this is normal Hughes during Primetime. I would think not from what I am hereing here.

Now what  do we do to fix this?

Good morning superslowhughes,

Thank you for your updates. Your testmy.net results URL with recent speed tests showing these persistent slow speeds in the evening would be great to send to engineering so that they are aware. 

We can't restart the relaxed bandwith period, however please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@superslowhughes

I don't know if http://testmy.net/quickstats/superslowhughesnet is you, but if it is, please be sure to use the manual 25MB test size for download tests.  

Thank you Liz.

As I have stated many times before (Testmy.net is not an accurate representation of what I am actually seing) Yes that is me on testmy.net. It shows there are no problems with my speed. Which is not true.

This morning I stayed home sick from work and checked out the speeds. They started just as last night, Slow almost useless. Then after a half hour or so they picked up. The three sites that took many mintues to load now take under 1 minute. So my question is what changed. They took over 5 minutes to load or failed last night and this morning but now work fine.  I have used these sites for years and could pop over to my cell and they were not slow. Why all of a sudden I can now use them (granted not primetime) at a resonable speed. Watching my local speed meter I am peaking at 7mbs and averaging around 3 to 4mbps. So much better than the 50 to 600kbps I was seeing. Not the 15mbps on any site other than testmy.net. My meter shows the  testmy.net speeds to be fast when I am testing there but not anywhere else. Why

I will try again during primetime and see if these current speeds of 1 to 7 mbps maintain. Or if they drop back down under 1mbps like usual.

Not all websites will load at 15Mbps... Most websites will load at 1.5 to 4Mbps

I went to load the websites you mentioned, and they do take a while to load.

Onshape - 18 seconds
Wevolver - 14 seconds
Altizure - 89 seconds (It loads, then continues to load what seems to be large graphics files... so...)

Some other sites for fun...
Google Search - 1.5 seconds
Newegg.com - 29.3 seconds (Graphics intensive website)
Amazon.com - 39 seconds (Graphics intensive website)
CNN - 32.4 seconds (Graphics intensive website)
FOX News - 36.7 seconds
Battle.net - 39.4 seconds (Graphics intensive website)
WunderGround - 24.1 seconds (Lots of interactive content)

Stats collected with a Chrome Extension that measures load times of websites.  By the way, those are average load speeds at that, collected after dumping cache and attempting access 10 times each.  As you can see, the load times vary greatly, and can mostly be attributed to variables that are most likely well outside of Hughesnets control.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE

I don't know what in the heck that Altizure site is, but it took nearly two minutes for it to even start displaying anything, and then I closed it before fully loading.  An EXTREMELY data instensive site.  

Onshape 11 seconds.  

Wevolver 9 seconds.  

The rest were all under twenty seconds for me, save for battle.net, which took about four seconds to open and 33 seconds to fully load, and I didn't go to Fox News.

Altizure, Onshape, Wevolver and Battle.net I had never been to, so none of any of them loaded from my cache.  

Those load times are comparable to what I get when its not primetime. Altizure is a 3d modeling site that loads in seconds on my phone or tablet when using cell data or DSL. Takes about 30 seconds now not primetime on Hughes.Useless during primetime.

I assume that since Hughes works mostly ok as long as its not primetime it must be just how Hughes operates during peak times. I tried using it for lots of different sites tonight during primetime and it was unusable. This site even timed out 3 times tonight just trying to get to this thread. But testmy.net still says I got 15mbs. NO OTHER SITE IS USABLE DURING PRIMETIME.

My hardware and my system must be good now since I can use it like advertised as long as it is NOT primetime. So why is it so overloaded and useless during primetime? If this is what they sell how can they get away with charging so much for something that only works part of the time? If its not usual then why is mine so useless during primetime. And how do I get it fixed. Don't tell me to do a speed test on testmy.net. It is still the only usable site for me during primetime. Every other site loads so slow it can take more than a minute to see images come up or it times out.

I tried watching a couple videos at 144p and they just kept buffering. Really 144p is to big a file to watch during primetime? Don't tell me it was youTube. I know they have there own issues but its NEVER been this bad on any other provider.

Is this normal? Or not? If not how do I get it fixed.

maratsade

" I have only used less than 1% of my allocated bandwidth so I am not sure why Hughes is so Slow."

If you'd like to troubleshoot or have Hughes troubleshoot, they require speed tests from either Testmy.net or their own speed test utility, which actually is less trustworthy than Testmy.net.  You could do both.  If you don't feel comfortable with either, then they may not be able to help you. 

GabeU

@superslowhughes wrote:

There are a few champions on all the posts about how great the koolaide is but in reality it is very sour.

Actually, the majority of Gen5 customers think the "Kool Aid" tastes just fine. 

Also, as stated, testmy.net results are not "fake", nor does it "get packet priority by Hughes", whatever that means.  It's a test site, and favors no ISP over another. 

superslowhughes
Sophomore

So here we are month 2 and still useless during prime time. Since the service call that re-peaked the dish and changed the radio my off peak speeds are mostly usable. Thank you for that at least..Google earth is still useless. 

During peak times everything is useless. Even this site times out trying to get to the forum. Tonight testmy net was closer than ever. Usually shows 10 to 30Mbps even one time showed 1800Mbps When reality is under 1Mbps. . But tonight it was running under 2Mbps. The Hughes test was 0.29Mbps. How is this supposed to be normal. I want this fixed or come get this piece of crap and refund my money. I am tired of the frustration.

Hello,

Thanks for posting your updates. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Here we are another night I pay but can't use the internet.  When the speed tests time out you know its slow. Or rather useless.

slow hughes net 2.jpgslow hughes net.jpg

Both of these tests never finished. One got to 96.1% and froze. The other got to 100% but never posted a value. Just froze. MAybe one day they will fix it. I somehow doubt it. But ya never know. There is only so much bandwidth to go around. I have a feeling that for mine to get faster someone elses will have to get slower.

GabeU

@superslowhughes

I see one on testmy.net from 9:39:55, with 3.4Mbps as result, which is pretty bad.  Once in a while testmy has a hiccup and won't give you the result page, even if the test ran very well.  It happens most often for me when I perform and upload test.   

I don't really think that it's a capacity (bandwidth) issue, even on your specific beam, though the peak time usage slowdowns definitely make it look that way.  I think it's more a problem with the beam itself, which may be causing the bandwidth of that beam to be far below what it should, and what the ones that aren't affected are.  This is only a guess, but I'm thinking this because of the way it happened, and when it happened.  

True capacity issues take a while to arise, and it's gradual.  What's happened to you and others came on rather quickly, and for those that signed up after it started, right at the beginning of their service.  This, of course, isn't an excuse to try to alleviate the aggravation, nor is it trying to minimize your frustration in any way, shape or form.  I wouldn't be at all happy, either.  I just hope that the engineers can get it fixed soon.  I know that some of the gateway or beam specific things they've done recently can take a little while to make a difference, but I also know that knowing that doesn't make what's going on any better.  

Again, I feel for you and the others who are experiencing this.  I really do hope you have better service soon.    

Just to echo that it's not a user capacity issue, when these slowdowns occur there isn't the typical and similar slowdown in upload speed or drastic increase in latency.

There is something completely different at play which could range from people using an unhandled streaming protocol, to a bunch of users being infected with particular malicious malware/virii, to routing backlogs from the gateway provider, to a possible system denial of service attack (although possible, not as likely).

Any of these might be causing the sytstem undue processing which would then affect all users on a particular gateway/beam, and each is extremely difficult to track down and eliminate.

But each would also be more noticible under heavier usage times - as a good lot of us is seeing.

Edit: Case in point. Just did ul and dl tests at 7.30 EDT. Download was a choppy 12.02Mbps (ranged between 6.03 and 20.4), but the latency was 350ms and upload was 2.44Mbps.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Still slow getting SLOWER!!!!

slow hughes net 3.jpgslow hughes net 4.jpg

I have had to reload this page 4 times so far because of time outs. So much for the theory that its only slow during primetime week nights. Uploads are still pretty good. Acceptable. But of course downloads at 1/5Mbps according to testmynet and 0.2  Mbps according to Hughes is not exactly usable. Seems one time I got 1841Mbs down. 1/10th of that would be good if it was real.

Now the weekends are unusable. Not sure why they are not bothering to fix this faster.

slow hughes net 5.jpgslow hughes net 6.jpg

Hughes net does not deliver on any of the speeds they claim and only come up with excuses for their slow speeds.    I would like to see if there are others that would like to take legal action  against Hughes net since they do not deliver on their claimed services

GabeU

@Us111611 wrote:

Hughes net does not deliver on any of the speeds they claim and only come up with excuses for their slow speeds.    I would like to see if there are others that would like to take legal action  against Hughes net since they do not deliver on their claimed services

Their excuses are a reality.  There are a few beams that are having issues, as has been noted, and the issues are being worked on.  

They also DO deliver on their advertised speeds for the vast majority of their customers.  That a few beams are having issues is unfortunate, but an issue, and being worked on. 

Lastly, if you are going to post in this Community, please follow its Guidelines.  Violating these guidelines by soliciting others for legal action will do nothing more than get you booted, which you may end up regretting if you need help at a later time.

Capture.JPG 

The radio the last tech put on died in a couple weeks. Took a few days to get another tech out to install another one. He also replaced the modem this time. The speeds were better for a week. Not good but better. In the 3 to 5mb range. Now they are back in the 0.05 to 0.7mb range. So here we go again pay lots get little.

Strange how it can work good for a couple days and then all of a sudden the service is unsuable. Very strange indeed.