Advertisements in email window

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hcamardelle
Sophomore

Advertisements in email window

I'm curious why I get advertisements while reading my email.  There's a small window in the lower left corner of my screen  that flashes advertisements and at numerous bad times video advertisements. Why is that.  It think it is having a negative impact on my data usage.  If I'm paying for the service, then why do I have to expend data on advertising?  It doesn't matter that it may be a few k.  I'm paying for my email.

Overall I'm happy with HughesNet, and yes I have the lost data issue on occasion that so many complain about.  But to have to use the data I pay for for forced advertising is an issue for me.

Can anyone address this?  Thanks in advance.
20 REPLIES 20
hcamardelle
Sophomore

I just got another advertisement with video.  There's no control over it.  I guess I'm forced to read my email on my phone.  This isn't fair....
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Install AdBlock Plus browser extension
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

OK, I'll be an outright shill, here is the link: https://adblockplus.org/

Dang folks, this stuff has been around for years, I get very few ads when browsing or using online email. I prefer an email client myself.

Also do a search for HTML5 video blocker.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I agree on using an email client program. Much bettet control and easier connections.
Web view is OK for mobile devices but that is about it.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Gwalk and BirdDog,

What email client do you prefer?  I don't use any, just the built in mail program in Windows 10 for my MSN and I just go online for my Gmail, but I'm always open to trying new things.  I don't use Hughesnet's email. 

billmiller43

After two hours on the phone I was finally able to login to my hughesnet email, my "Activity Monitor" utility (Apple OSX) showed the hughes homepage was sucking up my data. Next morning I could not login again! Solution, I no longer go to the hughes home page or use their email. At 17 days I've used 1.3 and 4.7Gb data, and I'm on every day for a couple of hours. Buy a Mac, you'll never go back!
Amanda

Hello hcamardelle,

As far as I can remember we have had these, and if I recall correctly it is because we offer the e-mail as a free service instead of an added-on premium service to the internet. Other ISPs, such as Comcast, do this today.

I'd have to go with the two best options provided above - the adblocker which in the end will save you on data overall or using an e-mail client like Windows Mail. I hope that answers your question.

Thank you
Amanda
hcamardelle
Sophomore

Looks like ABP was the answer.  Thank you to everyone.  I was a little frustrated last night so I apologize for my tone.  Funny thing is that the software has already blocked an ad from here, and when I opened up the HughesNet homepage it immediately blocked 10!!!

I think I'm going to like it.  Thanks again for the quick responses.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Gabe,

I use Thunderbird:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

I presently have 6 email addresses set up in Thunderbird as a mix of POP and IMAP, Hughes, Gmail and Yahoo. Each has their own Inbox, Spam, Trash folders as well as customizable folders that can be created to assist in "bookkeeping" chores.

I started using Thunderbird years ago when my expensive copy of MS Outlook became to troublesome:

Alan Thompson

I've used the free, open-source Mozilla Thunderbird Email app for years. Fully configurable and extensible. Many third-party plug-ins/add-ons written for it. Auto-configures your Email accounts using just the Email address and password, and supports IMAP.
Alan Thompson

I started using Thunderbird years ago when my expensive copy of MS Outlook became to troublesome:
Same here.
Alan Thompson

I presently have 6 email addresses set up in Thunderbird
12 here 🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

billmiller43,

Any web page with a lot of "rolling ads", auto starts video and having embedded scripts is going to use large amounts of data unless those functions are blocked by proper setup of your OS and/or browser.

As to using and Hughes emails ... I have several. It really is all in the way you choose to access those (or any) accounts.

You can access all accounts by "web mail" using a browser and having to go through a login process be subject to what is posted in the web page that displays the email content and is subject to the usual webpage activity or you can access email accounts by using an email client program such as Mozilla Thunderbird and skip all the web based "junk".

In terms of overall usage:

I have used 1 GB of data in 15 days connected several hours per day using a number of mostly Windows based computers.

It not "what you got" but instead "how you drive it".

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

And I'll bet TBird does a nice job of keeping them nicely organized.

AzLady
New Poster

I'm with you, BirdDog.. I prefer an email client over webmail because I like to have copies of my email on my computer so I can read it offline if I choose to. Thanks for the info on AdBlock.. does it work with Face Book?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

AzLady, it will work with ads but the main thing with Facebook is to turn off automatic video playing in you FB settings.
Knerkin Akin

I have used The Bat! e-mail client for a little over 18 years. I switched to it because it was able to launch a process based on specific e-mail content which a customer needed. I have never looked back. https://www.ritlabs.com/en/
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

In truth the main thrust here is that a user is much better off accessing their email accounts with a decent email client program rather than a browser based "web mail".

I have many computers and devices ... I use Thunderbird and have it installed on several of those computers. It is set up to retrieve emails and "leave a copy on the server" on all but my main computer. I can check emails from any of them but only my "main computer" actually removes them from the email server so that I can best "handle" all emails.

This applies to all email accounts be they Outlook.com, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo or what have you.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

AzLady,

You may be interested in reading and making the following changes:

Stop Facebook tracking you across the web, change these settingsIt takes less than a minute to opt-out of Facebook's new ads system.

Facebook member or not, the social networking giant will soon follow you across the web -- thanks to its new advertising strategy.
From today, the billion-plus social network will serve its ads to account holders and non-users -- making one giant push in the same footsteps as advertising giants like Google, which has historically dominated the space.

In part the article goes on to say:

Here's how you check if you're a Facebook user Head to this link (and sign in if you have to), then make sure the "Ads on apps and websites off of the Facebook Companies" option is turned "no."

And that's it. The caveat is that you may see ads relating to your age, gender, or location, Facebook says.
You can also make other ad-based adjustments to the page -- to Facebook's credit, they're fairly easy to understand. The best bet (at the time of publication) is to switch all options to "no" or "no-one."

The complete article can be found here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/to-stop-facebook-tracking-you-across-the-web-change-these-settings/?tag...

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Thanks everybody!  I'm going to check out Thunderbird.  It looks like it might be something that would work for me, and there's nothing wrong with trying it.  I appreciate all of the help and input.